Harvard ASW in March Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
jd20132013

Silver

Harvard ASW in March

Post by jd20132013 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:24 am

Who else is going to this?

I see that they give a subsidy. Based on my distance from Cambridge I would only get 125 dollars. Is there any way that they would reimburse the price of a plane ticket? I'm not sure if I'd have enough $$ otherwise...

Ctgrapefruit

New

Re: Harvard ASW in March

Post by Ctgrapefruit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 pm

Pretty sure I'm going and I think they sent an email (to your HLS email) about reimbursing travel costs.

CryingMonkey

Bronze

Post by CryingMonkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 pm

i was able to get a round-trip ticket from dc for less than $100

fishdude

New

Post by fishdude » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 am

Hey, did any of you guys get an email confirmation after registering?
I've gotten them from the other schools I'm visiting, but I don't see one in my mailbox for Harv and now I'm wondering if I failed to hit "submit."

rm61

New

Post by rm61 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 am

fishdude wrote:Hey, did any of you guys get an email confirmation after registering?
I've gotten them from the other schools I'm visiting, but I don't see one in my mailbox for Harv and now I'm wondering if I failed to hit "submit."
I had the same concern, so I called admissions and they confirmed via phone. I just received my e-mail confirmation today, about two weeks after registering. Yours will probably come in a few days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:22 am

CryingMonkey wrote:i was able to get a round-trip ticket from dc for less than $100
Jet Blue ain't nothin' to fuck wit.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm attending...but I feel like their travel subsidy offer is super lame compared to other schools. I mean, I shopped around and managed to get a cheap plane ticket, but I still have to pay $100 out of my own pocket, on top of hotel costs, which are huge.

Stanford gives $450 to out-of-staters visiting...heck, even Berkeley gives $300. What's with the stinginess, Harvard?

meryl

New

Post by meryl » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:21 pm

I agree, $150 barely covers anything. I asked for the need based subsidy and was denied. Not sure if anyone gets it.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm

I'll have to borrow some $ from my parents, can't miss this.

The stipend really isnt going to help that much though :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rm61

New

Post by rm61 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Disclaimer: fresh-faced UG here...

Anyone else nervous by the thought of attending an upper-level course on Monday, and getting called out a-la-Socratic method? I want to sit in on Corporations or Mergers and Acquisitions, but I'm afraid that the esoteric legalise would be wayyy over my head at this point...

CreativityKing

New

Post by CreativityKing » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 pm

I'll be there that weekend. Looking forward to meeting you all!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:42 pm

rm61 wrote:Disclaimer: fresh-faced UG here...

Anyone else nervous by the thought of attending an upper-level course on Monday, and getting called out a-la-Socratic method? I want to sit in on Corporations or Mergers and Acquisitions, but I'm afraid that the esoteric legalise would be wayyy over my head at this point...
Yes, this freaks me out! Especially since they said they'll be sending out case materials for the class we're assigned to. I'm picturing scenes from One L and getting concerned.

sad_squirrel

New

Post by sad_squirrel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:31 pm

Just checking in! I plan on being there, and am looking forward to meeting my fellow TLS-ers :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 pm

I'll be there. Hopefully I find the time to read this case they sent. Although Im about 90% sure I have read it before.

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:14 am

Anyone else think it's a bit underwhelming?

rons1

New

Post by rons1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:50 am

123kl wrote:Anyone else think it's a bit underwhelming?
In what way? Curious, will be attending YLS ASW and HLS ASW back to back next month. What has been disappointing? Thanks!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Debrief!

What did everyone else think?

I definitely feel better about Harvard than I did before, but part of that may just be a function of three straight days of hearing nothing but pro-Harvard talk.

I got the sense that (a) Harvard is the undisputed center of the legal universe in most, if not all, arenas, and (b) the wealth of opportunities is endless, but you really have to be proactive about taking advantage of them, or else they can pass you by.

The people were nice and seemed happy. The housing sucks--no surprise there. The events were reasonably well managed although not quite the red carpet I had imagined.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

nothing like getting called about a full-tuition scholarship from another school right after eating lunch with Noah Feldman, lol

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 pm

dbrddr wrote:nothing like getting called about a full-tuition scholarship from another school right after eating lunch with Noah Feldman, lol
How was Feldman? I was worried that if I tried to sit at his table, I'd end up getting completely starstruck and tongue-tied.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 am

Yeah, so I may be the only one that feels this way, but...this weekend convinced me not to go to Harvard. I mean, the mock class and other interactions I had with professors were awesome and engaging (with the exception of the actual class I was assigned, which was hideously boring). But the other admitted students I met seemed, for the most part, immature and uninteresting. The same was true of the actual students I met. Maybe the most interesting people self-select out of attending ASW events. All I know is that, at this point, I would have to have a serious change of heart to attend Harvard (even if I get rejected from Stanford and Yale), and that's not at all the attitude I had going into the weekend.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:07 am

juliachild-ish wrote:Yeah, so I may be the only one that feels this way, but...this weekend convinced me not to go to Harvard. I mean, the mock class and other interactions I had with professors were awesome and engaging (with the exception of the actual class I was assigned, which was hideously boring). But the other admitted students I met seemed, for the most part, immature and uninteresting. The same was true of the actual students I met. Maybe the most interesting people self-select out of attending ASW events. All I know is that, at this point, I would have to have a serious change of heart to attend Harvard (even if I get rejected from Stanford and Yale), and that's not at all the attitude I had going into the weekend.
Just curious if you've been to any other ASWs? I was a bit underwhelmed by HLS ASW last year (I'm a 1L now), but I found the student body much more engaging than at peer schools. Although obviously this all has to do with personal preference anyways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Moxie wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Yeah, so I may be the only one that feels this way, but...this weekend convinced me not to go to Harvard. I mean, the mock class and other interactions I had with professors were awesome and engaging (with the exception of the actual class I was assigned, which was hideously boring). But the other admitted students I met seemed, for the most part, immature and uninteresting. The same was true of the actual students I met. Maybe the most interesting people self-select out of attending ASW events. All I know is that, at this point, I would have to have a serious change of heart to attend Harvard (even if I get rejected from Stanford and Yale), and that's not at all the attitude I had going into the weekend.
Just curious if you've been to any other ASWs? I was a bit underwhelmed by HLS ASW last year (I'm a 1L now), but I found the student body much more engaging than at peer schools. Although obviously this all has to do with personal preference anyways.
Nope, this is my first one. So I'm reserving final judgement until I visit at least a couple more.

hulahoop

Bronze

Post by hulahoop » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:29 pm

i was actually impressed and pleasantly surprised by the ASW this weekend. people were much more down to earth than I expected, and all the professors I sat in on/did mock classes with were amazing. After talking to current students and some others attendees, I came away thinking it would be stupid not to take advantage of all the resources available. The weekend pretty much solidified my decision to attend

but, to each his own 8)

onebiglie

New

Post by onebiglie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:52 pm

hulahoop wrote:i was actually impressed and pleasantly surprised by the ASW this weekend. people were much more down to earth than I expected, and all the professors I sat in on/did mock classes with were amazing. After talking to current students and some others attendees, I came away thinking it would be stupid not to take advantage of all the resources available. The weekend pretty much solidified my decision to attend

but, to each his own 8)
Yup, this was a very pleasant surprise. Although I suppose one person's "down to earth" is another person's "uninteresting." I'm still going to wait until I hear from Yale, but I honestly can't imagine liking Yale a lot more than Harvard...because I pretty much thought harvard was perfect (aside from the awful, awful weather on Monday).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”