Meeting with the Dean - Advice on questions to ask? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Swanky

New

Meeting with the Dean - Advice on questions to ask?

Post by Swanky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Hello TLSers,

I will be meeting with the Dean of UMiami Law next week. Though I'm not 100 percent settled on UM, there are some huge incentives to go there: They have given me a full tuition scholarship! Given that I want to do public interest law, my family lives down here, and I have a solid network down here, it seems like the best deal for me.

Of course I want to come prepared and have already started to brainstorm questions I might ask, but I figured I'd get some sagely wisdom from others. What kinds of questions might I want to ask?

Thanks in advance.

Capitol A

Silver

Re: Meeting with the Dean - Advice on questions to ask?

Post by Capitol A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:37 pm

I asked a related question a while back, and this response helped me a TON:
What stuck out about my application that merited being offered a spot?
What areas of my resume should I strive to improve over the next year to improve OCI chances and over the next 3 years to improve likelihood of job?
Why did you choose institute x rather than competitor y?
If you won the lottery tomorrow would you still be at institute x?
What is it like to live in city x as opposed to being a student?
I'm considering a year of volunteer/travel/miserhood. Do you offer deferments?
Where do you see institute x from an admissions vantage 5/10 yrs from now?
What mistakes are the most often made but easiest to avoid as 1L?
Do you recommend any prep work this summer? Are there any volunteer opps or research assistanceships if I decide to move in may/June?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Try to show a bit more tact & respect for the Dean & the law school than to ask the questions listed above. Be genuine & sincere, not impolite. The above questions reek of immaturity & show a distinct lack of deference that is likely to make the scholarship offer appear to be a mistake.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Swanky: With your background & numbers, you should be accepted to multiple Top 15 law schools.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I realize you are already accepted, which wasn't the case for me when I visited schools, but, in addition to any things you really want to know, asking about the logistics of any particular programs you are interested seemed like a good strategy. It shows you have done your research (I know this is less important for you) and is always a good thing to inquire about. For example, one school I visited had programs that let you take classes in other departments, retroactively change 2 upper level classes to pass/fail, and had a system to ensure you get at least a few popular electives that you really want. These things all interested me but what good is it to be able to take classes in other departments if you can't get a spot with the other department or bid system for classes if everyone bids for the same few? I think this is good since it might be able to expose a program that is just a marketing ploy or if it is really as good as it seems.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 pm

AreJay makes a good point about exposing programs true stature. Another law school, for example, offers a Lawyering In Spanish program that seems to be more hype than substance.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:23 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Swanky: With your background & numbers, you should be accepted to multiple Top 15 law schools.
Loving the attempt at a paradigm shift!

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:59 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Swanky: With your background & numbers, you should be accepted to multiple Top 15 law schools.
I'm not quite sure what that means, but if you don't have anything helpful to say then I'd appreciate it if you'd leave your commentary out.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Both comments were intended as compliments to you as well as to Texas & UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:11 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Both comments were intended as compliments to you as well as to Texas & UCLA.
Sorry - I wasn't directing that at you. I appreciate your compliments and your feedback re: questions to ask the Dean!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Swanky wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Both comments were intended as compliments to you as well as to Texas & UCLA.
Sorry - I wasn't directing that at you. I appreciate your compliments and your feedback re: questions to ask the Dean!
All the person was saying is that it's funny how Wolf switched it up from T14 to T15. Don't get so touchy.

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Don't know if this helps you, but I've met with Dean White twice already. The first time I met with her so we could discuss my "career" and she could give me advice or so I could ask her questions. Then I was awarded the same scholarship as you and met with her again about a month ago.

My point is - I wouldn't worry too much about questions. I thought the same thing you did, but I don't think I asked her anything at all. During both meetings, she spent half the time asking me questions about myself and the other half she talked about the law school and being a leader in the Miami community.

So basically she's just going to compliment you a lot and try to convince you to go to Miami Law. She's an extremely nice lady, I liked her a lot.

Congrats on the scholly!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Swanky wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
I'm not quite sure what that means, but if you don't have anything helpful to say then I'd appreciate it if you'd leave your commentary out.
Wow... way to be a jerk... Right now I'm leaning towards UT, that's the only reason I said anything...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Swanky wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Wow... way to be a jerk... Right now I'm leaning towards UT, that's the only reason I said anything...
Sorry to be a jerk. I realize after a little more sleep how rude that sounded. I completely misinterpreted that. Very long week at work.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Last edited by leidice on Thu May 01, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:44 am

leidice wrote:So... can anyone offer some good ideas for questions?
How much money do you make? What kind of car do drive?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”