Visit law schools alone? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
applepiecrust

Bronze

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:42 pm

No choice but to go alone to ASW/ASDs.

But, different question: how do you all feel about parents being there pre-orientation, and helping set up/move in? (/I am definitely doing that and am comfortable with it/appreciative of the help; just wondering how others feel).

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 pm

applepiecrust wrote:No choice but to go alone to ASW/ASDs.

But, different question: how do you all feel about parents being there pre-orientation, and helping set up/move in? (/I am definitely doing that and am comfortable with it/appreciative of the help; just wondering how others feel).
Just don't bring them to orientation events or anything like that. If I were going to school in-state then I would definitely enlist my family's help in moving (and not just because they own a pickup truck).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Mine are going to help me move into the apartment. Its a family tradition to help with big moves ( not in town ones, but moving into your first apt, or if possible helping with out of town moves). I dont mind, because moving sucks, especially when you have to do it alone.( ive moved a few times). All i have to do is buy them dinner- and pay for their gas expenses and they will help. Im going to move in before orientation starts, so i plan on having some time to explore the city before.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Absolutely sans parents for ASW/ASDs, agree. But as far as helping you move in, why not? If you've got people who can help you shove your sofa up the stairs, more power to you.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:35 pm

My dad will definitely be driving cross-country with me and helping me move in! It's silly to turn down unpaid labor, to say nothing of the comfort of having a family member to help you settle in before you're left all alone in a new city to freak out. (Or maybe that part's just me.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Helping you move is a totally different thing, and is perfectly acceptable.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:36 pm

I don't know how I'd manage a move without at least some of my family. Even if it did mean 3 years without friends, pretty sure I'd have to deal. Lol

In fact, I'm trying to bribe my mom into sticking around to decorate the place- she's awesome

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

arism87 wrote:

I don't know how I'd manage a move without at least some of my family. Even if it did mean 3 years without friends, pretty sure I'd have to deal. Lol

In fact, I'm trying to bribe my mom into sticking around to decorate the place- she's awesome
Again, I think there's a huge difference between going to ASW events with your parents thereby creating the impression that you're childish, immature, and dependent vs. having someone help you move in. One is to be judged and mocked. The other I suppose could be commended that your family loves you that much, although not to exclude those whose families won't be pitching a hand with the move-in. Why do you think someone would get judged for having their parents help move them in? And the interior decoration idea is spot on.

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

arism87 wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:No choice but to go alone to ASW/ASDs. But, different question: how do you all feel about parents being there pre-orientation, and helping set up/move in? (/I am definitely doing that and am comfortable with it/appreciative of the help; just wondering how others feel).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:52 pm

pattonthicke wrote:
arism87 wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:No choice but to go alone to ASW/ASDs. But, different question: how do you all feel about parents being there pre-orientation, and helping set up/move in? (/I am definitely doing that and am comfortable with it/appreciative of the help; just wondering how others feel).

Oh, I didn't mean that universally. I just don't have anyone I could possibly bring to ASW with me.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm

swampthang wrote:
Again, I think there's a huge difference between going to ASW events with your parents thereby creating the impression that you're childish, immature, and dependent vs. having someone help you move in. One is to be judged and mocked. The other I suppose could be commended that your family loves you that much, although not to exclude those whose families won't be pitching a hand with the move-in. Why do you think someone would get judged for having their parents help move them in? And the interior decoration idea is spot on.
I think a very important thing about ASWs is to meet other law applicants. Having anyone with you who would not strive to at least make friends with the same people (SOs/friends can make friends/have a connection with the same people; parents, not so much) would hinder your social activity, at least that's what I picture.

It's not so much an immaturity thing for me as a social hindrance. I, personally, would be less inclined to talk to somebody who had their parents with them. It is not because I would be snickering at them or thinking they're immature at all; I just would feel slightly awkward having casual conversation with somebody with a parent right there. I could definitely have a conversation and enjoy meeting somebody who was with a parent, but I think the conversation would take a much more formal, direct tone than is preferred when meeting a casual colleague for the first time.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah don't do it. When I was interviewing for a scholarship, all of the finalists were out to lunch with the various deans and faculty members and one girl brought her mom. It just so happens that the girls' mom's phone starts playing a Guns & Roses song when the Dean was giving a mini-speech. The Dean laughed it off, as well as everyone else, but I would have been embarrassed as shit. I say the only acceptable person to bring is a significant other to visits, however it would be best to attend ASW alone.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:18 am

SupraVln180 wrote:Yeah don't do it. When I was interviewing for a scholarship, all of the finalists were out to lunch with the various deans and faculty members and one girl brought her mom. It just so happens that the girls' mom's phone starts playing a Guns & Roses song when the Dean was giving a mini-speech. The Dean laughed it off, as well as everyone else, but I would have been embarrassed as shit. I say the only acceptable person to bring is a significant other to visits, however it would be best to attend ASW alone.
Dude, just let the thread die.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:10 pm

TommyK wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Yeah don't do it. When I was interviewing for a scholarship, all of the finalists were out to lunch with the various deans and faculty members and one girl brought her mom. It just so happens that the girls' mom's phone starts playing a Guns & Roses song when the Dean was giving a mini-speech. The Dean laughed it off, as well as everyone else, but I would have been embarrassed as shit. I say the only acceptable person to bring is a significant other to visits, however it would be best to attend ASW alone.
Nah, that's a legit hilarious story. There's was some similar amusement at last week's NYU ASD.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:22 pm

swampthang wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Nah, that's a legit hilarious story. There's was some similar amusement at last week's NYU ASD.
Agreed - funny story. But everytime this thread gets resurrected, some schmuck tries to reframe the argument as "I'm not embarassed of my parents because i'm not in high school and therefore they will be coming with me and since you think this should be an adult decision made by yourself, you obviously hate your parents". And it drives me to drink. My liver just can't handle it anymore.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:29 pm

I don't see what the big deal is. When you're in your mid-20s why should you still be ashamed of your parents? This is a very crucial decision and many of us count on our parent's opinions - especially if they're providing any sort of financial assistance. In addition, many want to be a part of the process seeing as we have to provide all of their financial information for need-based scholly apps.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 pm

TommyK wrote:
Agreed - funny story. But everytime this thread gets resurrected, some schmuck tries to reframe the argument as "I'm not embarassed of my parents because i'm not in high school and therefore they will be coming with me and since you think this should be an adult decision made by yourself, you obviously hate your parents". And it drives me to drink. My liver just can't handle it anymore.
rman1201 wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. When you're in your mid-20s why should you still be ashamed of your parents? This is a very crucial decision and many of us count on our parent's opinions - especially if they're providing any sort of financial assistance. In addition, many want to be a part of the process seeing as we have to provide all of their financial information for need-based scholly apps.
GET TOMMY A DOCTOR ASAP!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:24 pm

pereira6 wrote:
TommyK wrote:
rman1201 wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. When you're in your mid-20s why should you still be ashamed of your parents? This is a very crucial decision and many of us count on our parent's opinions - especially if they're providing any sort of financial assistance. In addition, many want to be a part of the process seeing as we have to provide all of their financial information for need-based scholly apps.
GET TOMMY A DOCTOR ASAP!
Dr Gin to the rescue Image

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:43 pm

It's not being ashamed of your parents. My parents are great, and we have a wonderful relationship. It's being ashamed of not being an independent adult who can make life-altering decisions on their own. Anybody who brings their parents to ASW and has them ask questions (basic information that can be found on the school website no less!) while sitting silently is deserving of mockery. Unless your parents are also going to be there when you take finals, sit the bar, and interview, they shouldn't be there for an ASW.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Every argument that can be made about this topic has already been made in this thread. Now we're just rehashing old arguments that have already been rehashed multiple times before.

We can debate all day about the maturity involved in bringing/not bringing your parents, but if you don't have the maturity to read through this thread and/or use the search function to make your own big boy decisions, then may God have mercy on your soul.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 pm

at the admitted student day that i went to last weekend there were about 5 people or so who brought their paents. No one said anything, and no tour person made any comments. However, I could tell that the parents for the most part were bored out of their minds. The day was for the students- not hte parents. Ones that asked questions had them answered- but they for the most part either sat in the back of the room ( and slept during some parts) or just took notes.

The thing is- those students spent most of the time with the partent, and not interacting with other fellow admitted canidates. Sure it doenst mean much now, but i thought it would be worthwhile to hear different opinions about the schoool, the application process, and the decision making process. I got some good opinons and insight from other canidates- and will be using this when i make that final decision.

just my two cents- take it or leave it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:19 pm

This seems like an extension of the whole helicopter parent thing that causes UG faculty so much annoyance. If nothing else, grad school should be the outer limit of the influence of those parents. If I were dean, I would only allow admitted students and their SOs to attend the admitted students events.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:22 pm

beachbum wrote:Every argument that can be made about this topic has already been made in this thread. Now we're just rehashing old arguments that have already been rehashed multiple times before.

We can debate all day about the maturity involved in bringing/not bringing your parents, but if you don't have the maturity to read through this thread and/or use the search function to make your own big boy decisions, then may God have mercy on your soul.
This.

(my previous remarks were just to agitate Tommy - trolling with decent believability)

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 pm

rman1201 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Every argument that can be made about this topic has already been made in this thread. Now we're just rehashing old arguments that have already been rehashed multiple times before.

This.

(my previous remarks were just to agitate Tommy - trolling with decent believability)
That was some good trolling son.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:28 am

on the topic of parents - check out the FSU Acceptance thread, someones parents are posting on their behalf because of "privacy concerns" :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”