North Carolina Law school Visits 2008 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
MINUPE

New

North Carolina Law school Visits 2008

Post by MINUPE » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:34 am

Hello All,

I would like to hear about anyone's experience visiting any of the North Carolina Law Schools.

unctix02

New

Post by unctix02 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am

i'm from chapel hill area and can comment a little.

UNC is a fanstastic campus and CH is a great college town. The law building is pretty nice, but segregated from the main campus by athletic fields. It's borders a nice woodsy residential section.

Student culture I can't say too much about, but it is probably similar to UNC undergrad, with alot of 'best of the New South' types which can be pretty smart and fun, but maybe not too worldly, with a 30% contingent of very interesting out-of-state over-acheivers.

Duke- Great campus (if, ahem 100yrs newer than Carolina's), Durham is a good town and getting better, though town-gown relations are often strained. Definitely more blue-blooded and Northeast cooridor types- 98% take the NY bar exam. Intellectual abilities a bit higher than UNC, but certainly commensurate egos. Not as collegial as UVA/UNC for sure.

Wake is where you go if you have Duke money, but not Duke brains. Though the campus is nice as well.

If you want NYC/DC/Chi/LA Biglaw go Duke, they deserve their good rep, but you pay for it.

If you want *much* less debt, to have more fun, and still pull market paying jobs from Atlanta to DC, (or god forbid actually serve the public in some capacity) Carolina is a great choice.

MINUPE

New

Post by MINUPE » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I have applied to chapel hill, and wake.

unctix02

New

Post by unctix02 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 pm

wish i had more for ya on Wake. but GL and holler if you matriculate UNC.

MLBrandow

Bronze

Post by MLBrandow » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Exactly how does the market for biglaw in NC compare with NYC?

I have just today begun looking at NC schools, and it's starting to catch my interest a bit. The low tuition to UNC Law is very appealing, and if the job placement into NC biglaw is still great, I think I may end up applying there.

Anyone know an aggregate of relevant *free* information regarding legal employment in NC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Master Tofu

Bronze

Re: North Carolina Law school Visits 2008

Post by Master Tofu » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:02 am

UNC is THE school to go to if you want to practice in North Carolina. I've heard that pre-law advisers at Duke(undergrad) would tell their students to go to UNC Law over Duke Law if they intend to practice in North Carolina; not only does UNC have great alumni presence in the area, they also have incredible lay prestige. Charlotte is a great city for banking and BIGLAW there pays less than bigger markets but with COL adjustments, you're probably materially better off.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks!

Was searching through the forum because I wanted to ask just this question. Just met the NC rep, and she was really nice, and said NC has a great Public Interest department. Now I'm pretty interested in the school.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Xnegd wrote:Thanks!

Was searching through the forum because I wanted to ask just this question. Just met the NC rep, and she was really nice, and said NC has a great Public Interest department. Now I'm pretty interested in the school.
might be worth noting that this thread is three years old...and a lot's changed in the NC legal market since then.

let me know if you have questions - I applied to all three T1s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”