Chicago-Kent tour Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
chicarda

New

Chicago-Kent tour

Post by chicarda » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 am

Hello everyone

I was accepted on their early decision program so I am now required to attend their law school, (stoked about it).

I toured the school about two weeks ago and loved it, especially the location. The place is very modern infused with oak walls and a nostalgic "old law" feel. The moot court room was beautifully done, not surprising given their high marks in Trail Advocacy. I visited Depaul last year and I felt as if I were trapped inside something equating to a crack-house or a 20th century dungeon, Chicago-Kent however was the complete opposite. Flooded with windows and smiling faces (last day of finals) my Chicago-Kent experience was a positive one, except the tour guide who was a quiet voiced introvert that really didn't seem to know what she was doing. Even with my squalid tour guide, I received a great deal of insight.

towkthi

New

Re: Chicago-Kent tour

Post by towkthi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:15 pm

What did you think of the fact that everything was in the same building? Are there lots of elevators/escalators/stairs? What does the neighborhood look like? Any other things you can think of?

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm

towkthi wrote:What did you think of the fact that everything was in the same building? Are there lots of elevators/escalators/stairs? What does the neighborhood look like? Any other things you can think of?
It wasn't too bad really, the business students apparently stick to their own area inside the massive building. It is strange to group the two unrelated students...

It appeared to have a solid network of stairs and elevators however, the library comprises multiple floors which I can see to be a slight pain possibly.

The area looks very clean and centrally located. My girlfriend is going to SAIC at the Art Institute, about .7 miles away from the law school if that gives you any idea as to the locality of the building. It is literally right across the street from the main Chicago subway station so getting around would be quite easy.

If I can think of anything else, i'll repost it.

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:13 am

anyone going to the open house at Kent on the 29th? i'm revisiting the schools i applied to so i can get a last look before i start making decisions. i also had the ability to sit in on a class with a 3L friend of mine late last semester. i'm also going to the open house at depaul this coming weekend to give it another look-see...

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Nah, I'm waiting for the spring open house. Far more enjoyable weather and lease signing in one trip.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Scratch that, no spring open house. However, they do allow class visits anytime with a weeks notice.

towkthi

New

Post by towkthi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:22 pm

hmm I think the only time that I'm able to get up there is during their finals week probably not kosher then

dmgreen86

New

Post by dmgreen86 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:50 pm

I went to kent's open house on Saturday, and the mini classes were AMAZING!... I enjoyed it so much. The professors really know their stuff, and they were genuine in their approaches to engaging students. At first I got a bit of a cold vibe from the school, more serious i guess. But when I got to the mini classes to see what was most important to me (quality of education), I was blown away. We had the option of attending 3 classes out of about 12 offerings, and it was a 3 for 3 win. I know I sound like a poster child for Kent, but honestly, there is next to nothing to complain about. Any questions about other stuff (facilities,etc) feel free to ask me. PM or in the forum.

credence023

New

Post by credence023 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 pm

I actually found the open house a little disappointing. Two of the three mini classes that I attended were canceled because the professors never showed up. In addition, our tour guide was a very depressing 2L student that didn't really know much about the building itself. It could have just been a bad turn of events, but an open house is supposed to compel prospective students to attend their law school, not dissuade them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicarda

New

Post by chicarda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 pm

credence023 wrote:I actually found the open house a little disappointing. Two of the three mini classes that I attended were canceled because the professors never showed up. In addition, our tour guide was a very depressing 2L student that didn't really know much about the building itself. It could have just been a bad turn of events, but an open house is supposed to compel prospective students to attend their law school, not dissuade them.

You probably got the same 2L that I did lol

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

i'm sorry you had a bad experience cerdence. despite being a little difficult to get to, i really enjoyed my visit. all of the mini-classes I attended were engaging and interesting. I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the guaranteed externship during 1L summer, and thought, like everyone else, that the facilities were the best in the city. i was WL'd at LUC and am down to Chi-Kent and DePaul. I liked DePaul but Kent has the clear edge.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm

I keep getting emails about the open houses but I haven't been able to make it to one yet. I've been to the law school before and I don't really have an interest in sitting in on the mini lectures. What else do they do provide at these events?

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 pm

lunch.

they actually had a student org fair, had a speech from the dean, reps from the office of admissions/financial aid available for a chat, and a tour of the facilities.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”