Ok to bring parents on law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
FuManChusco

Silver

Re: Ok to bring parents on law school visit?

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:On the information for emory's asd it says that "family and friends are encouraged to attend".
Emory trolls people constantly.
See: employment prospects.
see: ?, dude got trolled so hard.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Why is this thread still alive?

But I do love that Emory graph.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm bringing my parents, my grandparents, all my cousins, everybody I brought over here with me.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:25 pm

bk187 wrote:Why is this thread still alive?

But I do love that Emory graph.
why not? I got that from rman in the Emory 2011 thread. not sure the original source. he thinks the dean saw it and rejected him because of it. lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pam920

New

Post by pam920 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm

I'm planning to visit my first-choice school tomorrow (can't make it to ASD) and was planning to bring my father, so he can see the school where I'm probably going. I set up an appointment to meet with the assistant dean to answer some questions I have. My father wants to go to this. Problem is (as you may have guessed by now), he's a bit of a helicopter dad. College application process was hell. However, my parents will be helping with school. Not paying entirely, but possibly half tuition. When I told him I wanted to go to the appointment on my own, his response was something like, "Fine! Then you can do the whole thing on your own. Pay for school on your own too!"

Thoughts? Should I bring him to the appointment? I was planning on him taking the tour with me, but with him at the appointment, I fear he will ask endless questions and I'll look like a child who can't speak for themselves (I'm 22, btw).

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:59 pm

pam920 wrote:I'm planning to visit my first-choice school tomorrow (can't make it to ASD) and was planning to bring my father, so he can see the school where I'm probably going. I set up an appointment to meet with the assistant dean to answer some questions I have. My father wants to go to this. Problem is (as you may have guessed by now), he's a bit of a helicopter dad. College application process was hell. However, my parents will be helping with school. Not paying entirely, but possibly half tuition. When I told him I wanted to go to the appointment on my own, his response was something like, "Fine! Then you can do the whole thing on your own. Pay for school on your own too!"

Thoughts? Should I bring him to the appointment? I was planning on him taking the tour with me, but with him at the appointment, I fear he will ask endless questions and I'll look like a child who can't speak for themselves (I'm 22, btw).
A regular visit, I think, is different. I wouldn't bring my parents, but I'm an older student and paying my own way. If they are FOR SURE paying a good chunk, I don't see the problem with this.

Maybe, though, find out what he's going to ask before you get there and YOU ask those questions. Take charge.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:04 pm

sorry for bumping a dying/ stale thread, but If you are going to visit the school alone( or maybe an open house)- then bring them. If you have an appointment, or its for an admitted student day- then no. I randomly went to visit some schools with my dad- just to get his perspective about the school( and to see a few college basketball games). However, we just walked aroudn the campuses- then went and looked around the outlying areas to take a look at some apartments before the games. I personally think admitted student days are best visited alone- as its a time to interact with potential classmates and see for yourself if the school is a good fit.

However- if you want your parents to be involved, or to get their opiion- let them know what you are looking for in a law school, and how each school compares to those requirements. If you get all jazzed up over a specific school- its another opinion that you can trust to help you make the final decision.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:12 pm

pam920 wrote:I'm planning to visit my first-choice school tomorrow (can't make it to ASD) and was planning to bring my father, so he can see the school where I'm probably going. I set up an appointment to meet with the assistant dean to answer some questions I have. My father wants to go to this. Problem is (as you may have guessed by now), he's a bit of a helicopter dad. College application process was hell. However, my parents will be helping with school. Not paying entirely, but possibly half tuition. When I told him I wanted to go to the appointment on my own, his response was something like, "Fine! Then you can do the whole thing on your own. Pay for school on your own too!"

Not to be rude, but this is very petty of him. I don't think there's anything wrong with touring the school with your family, but you set up this appointment with a dean of the school, so show some maturity and go to the meeting yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Moxie wrote:

Not to be rude, but this is very petty of him. I don't think there's anything wrong with touring the school with your family, but you set up this appointment with a dean of the school, so show some maturity and go to the meeting yourself.

You need to go to the meeting alone. You also need to invest in your education. If you dont, your father will always have this hanging over your head, and he will make all o fht edecisiions in your life. By taking this away from him ( and taking on the debt) you will stand up to him, and show him that you are a grown individual, and not someone who will do what he says. Take him on a tuour, but go to the meeting alone.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:Do not.

Reason #1: You are "that guy who brought his gf to asw"
Reason #2: After you split with gf during 1L, your game is severely damaged
Reason #3: ASW's are one of the most important parts of the selection process, do not waste this special opportunity dealing with her feeling awkward all day.

#1 That guy who brought his gf to law school?
As opposed to that guy that had on dress shoes? How about the guy with blond hair, or the girl who was wearing lip stick?

I don't think people give two shits about it one way or another. Personally, I brought my fiancee. It made me feel more comfortable\

# 2 Your game is severely damaged? So it goes something like this:

Situation A (gf @ asw):
Girl 1: Hey, look at john, he's hot, I want to do him.
Girl 2: No, he used to have a gf, she was with him at asw.
Girl 1: Fuck that, nevermind.

Situation B (no gf @ asw):
Girl 1: Hey, look at john, he's hot, I want to do him.
Girl 2: Totally.

#3- Why would should she be awkward? She's there to support you.

ANd who ever said they will put a note in your file about GF/Mom being there... are you fucking kidding me?

Adcomm's jobs are based on usnwr. The law school admissions game is based on numbers. Its common knowledge on this site, that in order for a soft to help you, it has to be an incredibly good soft. By that same token, in order for a soft to hurt you, it would have to be incredibly bad (ie showed up to asw hung over and puked on a professor, ex-con etc).

Be who you are. Do what you want to do. Life is too short to worry about dicks judging you, and it wont affect your admissions process at all.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:32 pm

northwood wrote:
Moxie wrote:

You need to go to the meeting alone. You also need to invest in your education. If you dont, your father will always have this hanging over your head, and he will make all o fht edecisiions in your life. By taking this away from him ( and taking on the debt) you will stand up to him, and show him that you are a grown individual, and not someone who will do what he says. Take him on a tuour, but go to the meeting alone.

WRONG WRONG !

F*CK that! Let him pay for it. Do you have any idea how many law students are drowning in debt.

I'd be a lot easier to suck it up now then go begging to him 3 years later asking for 100k because you only got a PI job.

No. Fuck that. Let him pay for it. Let him have some decision.

I would totally let my parents choose my school (within reason- I'm not letting them send me to teh west coast or a ttt) if they were paying for it.

I mean, I love my school, I'm doing very well, have a summer job lined up... But If I could go back in time I would trade it and go to a new school that my parents picked, if my parents were paying half my expenses at my new school.

People on this board often agonize over going to the best school- the school they want to go to, or a cheaper, not as quality school. Its hard for them because money is such a factor. You can go to the best school you want and it be cheap- you just have to endure the hell of your parents? (I'm not saying its not hard, but think big picture.)

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
northwood wrote:
Moxie wrote:

WRONG WRONG !

F*CK that! Let him pay for it. Do you have any idea how many law students are drowning in debt.

I'd be a lot easier to suck it up now then go begging to him 3 years later asking for 100k because you only got a PI job.

No. Fuck that. Let him pay for it. Let him have some decision.

I would totally let my parents choose my school (within reason- I'm not letting them send me to teh west coast or a ttt) if they were paying for it.

I mean, I love my school, I'm doing very well, have a summer job lined up... But If I could go back in time I would trade it and go to a new school that my parents picked, if my parents were paying half my expenses at my new school.

People on this board often agonize over going to the best school- the school they want to go to, or a cheaper, not as quality school. Its hard for them because money is such a factor. You can go to the best school you want and it be cheap- you just have to endure the hell of your parents? (I'm not saying its not hard, but think big picture.)

LOL!

I think it is no big deal to bring parents. Doesn't bother me to see them at admitted student day. I even saw a welcome sign at a T14 school which welcomed admitted students and their families recently. Sounds like the Dad here though is a bit of a control freak. At some point you have to stand on your own two feet but I might also wait until he pays for law school!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 am

Do parents or other guests get free shit if they come ASW? My sis lives in New York and went to NYU for UG, I'm sure she'd be up for free food, booze, and so forth.

gjr8891

New

Post by gjr8891 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 pm

I brought my wife on the visit. We took the tour together, and even met the Dean and Assistant Dean of Admissions together. I think the visit went incredibly well and that it actually helped my chances of acceptance having my wife with me. But, my wife and I kind of worked as a team to keep converation going with the people we met throughout the day. I think there's a chance that she possibly could have even prevented a couple awkward silences. At the end of the visit, the Dean even said something like, "Well (gjr8891), I'm glad you and your wife came to visit us today. It was great getting to meet you. You'd be surprised how many people come in here that really come across as somewhat pompous and entitled. But you seem very easy-going and friendly..."

In my opinion, if you think you parents are really personable and could play the role of awkwardness-preventers, bring them. If you think your mom or dad could just be asking stupid questions the whole time or embarass you AT ALL, then politely ask them not to come.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue May 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Bringing your wife along is not the same as bringing a parent.

bmore

Bronze

Post by bmore » Tue May 10, 2011 12:33 pm

My parents went to the visit (not ASW). Mom to one, dad to one, and both to one. Visits were combined with family trips. They are paying 75%. I was fine with it. I would not have been fine with them at ASW but you need to make your own decisions. If you can't then maybe you need your parents there anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 pm

kaydish21 wrote:It is absolutely ok to take them although I would caution you to maybe not take them to admitted students days. Even then law schools won't care at all, but future classmates may judge. At all the visits I went on, there were a lot of parents.

Above poster is absolutely correct as well.
Take them to your school some other time :P but we shouldn't condone parents here

gjr8891

New

Post by gjr8891 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:19 pm

gjr8891 wrote:I brought my wife on the visit. We took the tour together, and even met the Dean and Assistant Dean of Admissions together. I think the visit went incredibly well and that it actually helped my chances of acceptance having my wife with me. But, my wife and I kind of worked as a team to keep converation going with the people we met throughout the day. I think there's a chance that she possibly could have even prevented a couple awkward silences. At the end of the visit, the Dean even said something like, "Well (gjr8891), I'm glad you and your wife came to visit us today. It was great getting to meet you. You'd be surprised how many people come in here that really come across as somewhat pompous and entitled. But you seem very easy-going and friendly..."

In my opinion, if you think you parents are really personable and could play the role of awkwardness-preventers, bring them. If you think your mom or dad could just be asking stupid questions the whole time or embarass you AT ALL, then politely ask them not to come.
Dany wrote:Bringing your wife along is not the same as bringing a parent.
I completely agree, Dany. I never said otherwise. Bringing the wife was only mentioned in my post to lead to my conclusion that, "...if you think your parents are really personable and could play the role of awkwardness-preventers, bring them. If you think your mom or dad could just be asking stupid questions the whole time or embarass you AT ALL, then politely ask them not to come."

I had the complete opposite of helicopter parents growing up. But, I would guess that a kid with hovering parents probably has a little of that homeschooled-kid awkwardness and could perhaps need a little assistance during a law school visit (when having a likeable personality is key.)

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue May 10, 2011 3:24 pm

My point is that while your wife was an "awkwardness preventer" I guarantee you parents will be "awkwardness enhancers."

gjr8891

New

Post by gjr8891 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Dany wrote:My point is that while your wife was an "awkwardness preventer" I guarantee you parents will be "awkwardness enhancers."
Haha ok.. I agree. I know mine would have been.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue May 10, 2011 3:27 pm

gjr8891 wrote:
gjr8891 wrote:I brought my wife on the visit. We took the tour together, and even met the Dean and Assistant Dean of Admissions together. I think the visit went incredibly well and that it actually helped my chances of acceptance having my wife with me. But, my wife and I kind of worked as a team to keep converation going with the people we met throughout the day. I think there's a chance that she possibly could have even prevented a couple awkward silences. At the end of the visit, the Dean even said something like, "Well (gjr8891), I'm glad you and your wife came to visit us today. It was great getting to meet you. You'd be surprised how many people come in here that really come across as somewhat pompous and entitled. But you seem very easy-going and friendly..."

Dany wrote:Bringing your wife along is not the same as bringing a parent.
I completely agree, Dany. I never said otherwise. Bringing the wife was only mentioned in my post to lead to my conclusion that, "...if you think your parents are really personable and could play the role of awkwardness-preventers, bring them. If you think your mom or dad could just be asking stupid questions the whole time or embarass you AT ALL, then politely ask them not to come."

I had the complete opposite of helicopter parents growing up. But, I would guess that a kid with hovering parents probably has a little of that homeschooled-kid awkwardness and could perhaps need a little assistance during a law school visit (when having a likeable personality is key.)
How is bringing the people that caused the awkwardness you describe (the parents) going to help at all with assistance on a law school visit?

Maybe, if you have trouble relating to your peers and need your parents to help break the ice in really any situation, law school isn't the place for you.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue May 10, 2011 3:28 pm

That kid from Back to School brought his dad to college with him and he ended up fine.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue May 10, 2011 3:30 pm

naterj wrote:That kid from Back to School brought his dad to college with him and he ended up fine.
Well, obviously. His dad could do the Triple Lindy.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue May 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Dany wrote:My point is that while your wife was an "awkwardness preventer" I guarantee you parents will be "awkwardness enhancers."
Dany, you seem like someone in-the-know, so I have a question for you:

Is it acceptable to bring my children on law school visits so I can make them aware of my minimum expectations for their lives?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”