Visiting a school tomorrow. What should I do? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
vendetta2

New

Visiting a school tomorrow. What should I do?

Post by vendetta2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:14 am

I have a seat deposit in at Wake Forest and another deposit in at another school (I'm also sitting on 2 waitlists). I have never been to Wake so I scheduled a visit for tomorrow. I know it's the summer now, so what should I do when I'm visiting? I already scheduled a tour, but do I need to schedule an appointment with an adcomm or anything? What questions should I ask? What can I do during a summer visit that will help me get a good feel for the school? I also would like inquire about getting some money. How should I approach this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Re: Visiting a school tomorrow. What should I do?

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 am

Schedule an appointment with the financial aid people. Ask about IBR, LRAP, loans, schollies and anything else.

Talk to someone about where you're going to live if need be.

Try to schedule a meeting or some face time with a professor?

Check out the library. Ask if they have unlimited free printing or if you need to pay for each page.

Ask what they do to help 1L's find summer work.

....I'm just brainstorming here.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:44 am

I visited Wake Forest about 6 weeks ago, and at the time I also had two seat deposits down. Here are some suggestions:

You don't need to schedule an appointment with anyone at admissions while you are there, however if you would like to discuss financial aid I suggest checking to see if Melanie Nutt will be in and requesting a little time with her if she isn't busy. She is a tough lady to get a hold of, but she is incredibly sweet and I'm sure she'll give you the time if she can. Ask about pretty much everything Kobe_Teeth mentioned.

The tour is nice but the building itself isn't much to see, especially compared to the rest of the Wake campus. Take the time during the tour to ask a lot of questions, especially if it is a current student (who it probably will be). It's too bad you won't be able to sit in on a class, but you can kind of make up for that by asking what they think of the professors there and their teaching styles.

As far as getting a feel for Wake Forest, it is relatively small and easy to walk through in about a couple hours, if that. Here's the thing though - it is a gated campus, so it is just a bunch of beautiful looking buildings. No restaurants, bars, fast food, big shopping spots, etc. You have to get off campus to get a sense of what there is to do. I visited three main areas when I was down there - the downtown area of Winston-Salem (a must visit), the suburbia part of Winston-Salem (which had your typical restaurants/chain stores), and Charlotte (which if you haven't visited I suggest you do if you have time, as that is a likely destination for work). I'm sure there are a lot of places I missed though, so be sure to ask around. The minor league baseball team down there just built a new stadium which Jenny in the admissions office suggested I check out. I didn't get a chance to, but I drove by it a number of times and it looks pretty nice. Try to check out possible spots where you will live, too, like the Crowne apartments.

vendetta2

New

Post by vendetta2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for the responses. I will heed the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”