Embarrassing Moments during ASDs Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Embarrassing Moments during ASDs

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:54 pm

eldizknee wrote:Oh man, did not expect that level of detail in the response. Thank you for indulging me. And that was a pretty good freakout.
I can't sleep, and Money Mom haunts my dreams anyways, so I was able to type it out pretty fast.

I called my own Mom after (who was about 500 miles away from the ASD) to tell her I loved her.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
eldizknee wrote:Oh man, did not expect that level of detail in the response. Thank you for indulging me. And that was a pretty good freakout.
I can't sleep, and Money Mom haunts my dreams anyways, so I was able to type it out pretty fast.

I called my own Mom after (who was about 500 miles away from the ASD) to tell her I loved her.
It's really weird that she used "As a parent/mother," as a precursor for all of her statements. It's not like it adds authority to her ranting.

Reminds me of some of the stories in the gunner stories thread, "As a Victorian literature major, ..."

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am

After the first outburst, I'd say "Shut the fuck up mom."

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 am

Pearalegal wrote:

I just have to say that your money mom freakout description was hilarious and I hope she doesn't haunt you too long...

lol i really wish I ran into more situations like this during my ASW visits tho

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:05 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

It's really weird that she used "As a parent/mother," as a precursor for all of her statements. It's not like it adds authority to her ranting.

Reminds me of some of the stories in the gunner stories thread, "As a Victorian literature major, ..."
Yeah! That was one of the strangest parts about the whole thing. Even in the midst of the upheaval, I remember thinking to myself, "why does she keep repeating that she's his mother? We're not doubting that."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 am

Pearalegal wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Yeah! That was one of the strangest parts about the whole thing. Even in the midst of the upheaval, I remember thinking to myself, "why does she keep repeating that she's his mother? We're not doubting that."
The really sad part is that the kid will probably end up as insufferable of a bitch/douche as her/his mother.

jockinjay-z

New

Post by jockinjay-z » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:22 am

Pearalegal wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:At ND, one Mom freaked the fuck out on the career services lady. It was uncomfortable for everyone...but her son and husband seemed oddly resigned.
DESCRIBE this freakout in detail plz
So there I was.

I was sitting two rows in front of the woman who will be known as, "Money Mom," for our purposes.

I was a lovely room and I was having a moderately decent time playing my hourly Notre Dame ASD game of, 'spot the crucifix in THIS room.' We had just finished tours and everyone was settling in for the career services talk. It was pretty standard, vaguely trying to gloss over the economy troubles but overall a pretty good and realistic presentation. They were explaining that the same grants they give to 1Ls who do unpaid summer work had been extended to 2Ls. The number $4,000 as part of the grants was mentioned.

And then...

Money Mom- "Wait, so you're telling me my son will only make $4,000 dollars the summer after his second year?"

Career Service Lady (CSL)- "No, we're saying that those who take-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I have heard that he should expect to make far more his second year This is what I've heard as a mother of a prospective law student."

CSL- "Right, but what-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I was told he will work for a judge his first year and then work for a firm where he will be making many, many thousands. Many thousands. Every week."

CSL- "Yes, that is the ideal and traditional-"

Money Mom- "And now you're telling me that he will only make $4,000 by the time he leaves school? That is not what I have been told about law school."

CSL- "I understand that-"

Money Mom- "I understand what YOU'RE saying. You're saying that you'll give him $4,000. Great. That's just GREAT. But that's not what I've been told to expect."

*awkward silence*

CSL- "We're saying that for the students who have not found summer associate work--"

Money Mom- "As a parent, I have heard things that don't line up to what you're saying. At all."

And so on and so forth.

Haha I was there for that too...good times, I felt sorry for that kid though lol!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 am

:shock: :lol: @ Pearalegal's story.

I was laughing particularly hard at this one...
Pearalegal wrote:
Money Mom- "As a mother, I was told he will work for a judge his first year and then work for a firm where he will be making many, many thousands. Many thousands. Every week."
"MANY THOUSANDS! MANY THOUSANDS A WEEK, I WAS TOLD!!"

Bahahahaha.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 am

The best I can do is this one kid brought his mom to UVA's ASW and you could tell someone in the hospital forgot to cut the cord day one. She followed him everywhere and at one point pulled him in for an awkward sideways hug with a kiss on the cheek at the end. He seemed pretty embarrassed and I felt bad for him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 am

jockinjay-z wrote:
Haha I was there for that too...good times, I felt sorry for that kid though lol!
Oh man, it was awful.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:48 am

AngryAvocado wrote::shock: :lol: @ Pearalegal's story.

I was laughing particularly hard at this one...
Pearalegal wrote:
"MANY THOUSANDS! MANY THOUSANDS A WEEK, I WAS TOLD!!"

Bahahahaha.

This.

Who says things like that? "Many thousands?" Really?! LOL

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Should I, as a mother of a law student, allow my son to attend this TTT? I was told to expect MANY THOUSANDS A WEEK.

Where's consultant troll? We need him in here stat.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:14 am

Rand M. wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
acdisagod wrote:Someones dad at ASD at Cornell kept blurting out answers when the professor was adressing students during a crim law class and she seemed really embarrassed.
I still cannot belief parents came to ASW anywhere. At Northwestern I didn't see one. Though to be fair I might have just confused them for students?

Seriously, I wouldn't allow my parents to go under any circumstance, nor would they even want to.
I imagine that NW students tend to be older and less reliant on their parents. At the MN and Iowa ASDs, I'd say about 1/5 students was accompanied by a relative.
I only saw one at U Chicago's. I was kind of surprised at how few there were.
Blah that's my dad :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 am

Here's my contribution to this thread, since I remember seeing it

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=412

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:21 am

Pearalegal wrote:
eldizknee wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:At ND, one Mom freaked the fuck out on the career services lady. It was uncomfortable for everyone...but her son and husband seemed oddly resigned.
DESCRIBE this freakout in detail plz
So there I was.

I was sitting two rows in front of the woman who will be known as, "Money Mom," for our purposes.

I was a lovely room and I was having a moderately decent time playing my hourly Notre Dame ASD game of, 'spot the crucifix in THIS room.' We had just finished tours and everyone was settling in for the career services talk. It was pretty standard, vaguely trying to gloss over the economy troubles but overall a pretty good and realistic presentation. They were explaining that the same grants they give to 1Ls who do unpaid summer work had been extended to 2Ls. The number $4,000 as part of the grants was mentioned.

And then...

Money Mom- "Wait, so you're telling me my son will only make $4,000 dollars the summer after his second year?"

Career Service Lady (CSL)- "No, we're saying that those who take-"

Money Mom- "As a mother, I have heard that he should expect to make far more his second year This is what I've heard as a mother of a prospective law student."

CSL- "Right, but what-"

CSL- "Yes, that is the ideal and traditional-"

Money Mom- "And now you're telling me that he will only make $4,000 by the time he leaves school? That is not what I have been told about law school."

CSL- "I understand that-"

Money Mom- "I understand what YOU'RE saying. You're saying that you'll give him $4,000. Great. That's just GREAT. But that's not what I've been told to expect."

*awkward silence*

CSL- "We're saying that for the students who have not found summer associate work--"

Money Mom- "As a parent, I have heard things that don't line up to what you're saying. At all."

And so on and so forth.
omg. This woman needs to learn something about, I don't know, decorum.

Or realize at least that her lack thereof is literally chasing her son out of town.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:25 am

At a reception I walked up to a keg & the tap fell out as I started pumping. The president of the law school brewing guild, who I had been talking to earlier came up to me about 5 seconds later & made fun of me.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 am

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am

MF248 wrote:At a reception I walked up to a keg & the tap fell out as I started pumping. The president of the law school brewing guild, who I had been talking to earlier came up to me about 5 seconds later & made fun of me.
Vandy?

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 am

rad law wrote:
MF248 wrote:At a reception I walked up to a keg & the tap fell out as I started pumping. The president of the law school brewing guild, who I had been talking to earlier came up to me about 5 seconds later & made fun of me.
Vandy?
Has to be. As far as I know, I am the first/only president of a law school brewing guild in the United States.

mf, I apologize... didn't mean to make you look bad in front of your fellow prospectives. Actually the last time I tapped a keg it went horribly wrong and I ended up deferring to a fellow 3L who went up through the UF greek system and is a verified expert in kegtapping.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

beesknees wrote:I'll go first.

I arrived a day early for my ASD to visit family in the city. Well, my crazy aunt decides she wants to find exactly where the law school is on campus. So she drives right up in her big towncar and before I could tell her she's about to drive up a walkway, aka NOT a road, we were already half way through the square. When I tell her we can't be driving here (we almost mowed down some students) she stops in front of a familar building. She rolled down the window and shouted to some students "I'm lookin for the lawl school but I don't think I should be here with the car." Turns out we had driven up the lawn to the law school front door. I was mortified but couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if I'll hear about the crazy ladies who drove through campus. FWIW the students were really polite about helping us turn around and get back onto a proper road.
Hilarious

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 pm

I didn't see you at blackacre. You must have been too busy messing up the keg ;O)
Last edited by beesknees on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TXDeac

New

Post by TXDeac » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 pm

At U. Chicago, the auditorium has microphones at every seat for people to ask questions to the panel speakers. While the tech people were getting ready for the Dean to speak to us, Dean Perry (admissions dean) was up on stage as well.

One admitted student in the crowd turns on his mic and proceeds to say "Dean Perry... Dean Perry..." trying to get her attention.

We can all hear it (it's playing through the auditorium sound system), but she doesn't seem to. Finally she perks up, looks around, he starts directing her with instructions like, "over to your left. I'm over here."

Conversation is as follows between Dean Perry (DP) and Admitted Student (AS):

DP: Yes? Can I help you?
*awkward silence*
AS: What's up?
DP: I'm sorry, is there something wrong?
AS: Nope.
DP: Ok, well those mics are not supposed to be on. Thank you for reminding us.

She actually kept her cool pretty well in a terribly awkward situation, but I definitely thought it was unnecessary on the part of the kid. I met him later that night and he said he was just trying to lighten the mood because he thought everyone at the law school was too uptight... or something like that.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:15 am

TXDeac wrote:At U. Chicago, the auditorium has microphones at every seat for people to ask questions to the panel speakers. While the tech people were getting ready for the Dean to speak to us, Dean Perry (admissions dean) was up on stage as well.

One admitted student in the crowd turns on his mic and proceeds to say "Dean Perry... Dean Perry..." trying to get her attention.

We can all hear it (it's playing through the auditorium sound system), but she doesn't seem to. Finally she perks up, looks around, he starts directing her with instructions like, "over to your left. I'm over here."

*awkward silence*

She actually kept her cool pretty well in a terribly awkward situation, but I definitely thought it was unnecessary on the part of the kid. I met him later that night and he said he was just trying to lighten the mood because he thought everyone at the law school was too uptight... or something like that.
Yeah, unnecessary. But I'd say her response was sort of uptight. How about, "not much, what's up with you?" Or at least... something... friendly?

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:20 am

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
TXDeac wrote:At U. Chicago, the auditorium has microphones at every seat for people to ask questions to the panel speakers. While the tech people were getting ready for the Dean to speak to us, Dean Perry (admissions dean) was up on stage as well.

*awkward silence*

Yeah, unnecessary. But I'd say her response was sort of uptight. How about, "not much, what's up with you?" Or at least... something... friendly?
She could have reacted like you said but this is a law school ASW not undergrad. The kid acted like a total douche or freshman in high school that didn't take his ritalin. Makes you question what got him into UC. I think he was the guy wearing the superman sweatshirt just shows his immaturity.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:21 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:

*awkward silence*

She could have reacted like you said but this is a law school ASW not undergrad. The kid acted like a total douche. Makes you question what got him into UC. I think he was the guy wearing the superman sweatshirt just shows his immaturity.
I now see why UChicago students are known as the happy, fun-loving bunch.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”