Iowa, March 25-28 ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
JOThompson

Silver

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Post by JOThompson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:43 pm

There wasn't another soul in the lobby at 730. TLS meetup canceled or rescheduled for later tonight?

ylee0331

New

Post by ylee0331 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:44 pm

darn it!
so I was having a dinner with my friends and totally lost track of time. When I looked up it was well past 7:30. So I figured I might not be able to figure out where you guys headed for drinks. Now I am sitting in front of my PC wondering if I'll be the only guy tomorrow who isn't acquainted with anyone.

ylee0331

New

Post by ylee0331 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:46 pm

JOThompson wrote:There wasn't another soul in the lobby at 730. TLS meetup canceled or rescheduled for later tonight?
now that I see JOT's comments, maybe something happened? let me know what's up!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 pm

There's a couple of us at Lawlawpalooza if anyone wants to join! Blue Moose Tap.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Ok, if things end at 2:30, as planned, we can meet around then by the main entrance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:06 am

Just got in with my buddy, heading out now to check out some of the bars. If one of you guys sees this and wants to meet up post here or PM me, I have my phone with me and I'll check this thread a couple times.

aja11

New

Post by aja11 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:10 am

Where ya heading?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:51 am

Just arrived. I'm staying at the Sheraton down the hill from the school. I hope some of you are down for going out tomorrow night!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 am

aja11 wrote:Where ya heading?
heading to jakes right now, just left the shit show that is summit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Where do people want to meet tonight? If it's not a huge group I was thinking of meeting around 7:30 or so, getting dinner, and then going out. Maybe the "ped mall" they talked about? I guess there's a place called Giovanni's that is good.

Thoughts on 7:30 somewhere on the ped mall?

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm cool to meet at Giovanni's! Count me in for 7:30. We can meet in front of the restaurant then.

deevilsih

New

Post by deevilsih » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Giovanni's at 7:30. Maybe this try I won't lose track of time! See you all there.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Sweet! I'll be there in front at 7:30. I'll be wearing jeans ands a black shirt...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:11 am

Damn it I missed everyone!!!! So pissed! Got to meet a few though!! So next year (if I don't get off any wait lists) I will be living in old gold ct. apartments which is a seven min. walk to the law school, which is awesome! Super excited! For anyone who was wondering I have medium length curly blond hair wore a grey sweater and pants today, navy dress yesterday.

What did everyone think? I'm not going to lie, at first I was a bit turned off, 1) because mr. byrd had no idea who I was AFTER I told him about my PS and accommodated testing (either I must suck, or he wasn't on his game). 2) All the students who were on the panel were scholarship students, and me, not being a scholarship student wanted to talk to someone who wasn't a scholarship recipient to get their perspective on costs/debt management and loans. When I asked the scholarship students about it their response was "IDK I'm on scholarship." "Do you know who I can talk to?" "I guess Financial Aid." I felt like I was stupid or not "up to par", almost second class because I wasn't "scholarship material."

BUT...I think (I hope) this is only admissions talk, and things will change once I attend. I really liked that the law school is separated from the undergraduate sector and the class size is small. I also liked how willing career services are to work with you to find a job that you want in a place you want to work in, which is really important.

IDK, I don't think I'd be unhappy attending Iowa, but it's not my first choice, and if I'm accepted off of one of the three wait lists I am keeping I will attend there instead. IDK mixed vibes, need to think things over...someone talk some sense into me please!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:57 am

Yeah, I kind of wished we all got to meet as planned. I guess there'll be enough time for that come August. I honestly thought the people were amazingly nice, the atmosphere was relaxed, and the law school was pretty ok. I'm excited to live 7 minutes from campus as well, but I've noticed that a car is a must have here. It's almost 3 A.M. and I have a flight at 9 soooo I guess I should keep this brief. Hope to meet you all soon. ``

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 am

Any TLSers want to meet up today/tonight sometime? Also, what are some other housing options within close walking distance of the school?

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:24 am

JOThompson wrote:Any TLSers want to meet up today/tonight sometime? Also, what are some other housing options within close walking distance of the school?
I'll be in IC until tomorrow and am hanging out with some friends but would definitely be willing to meet up and get coffee or something. I haven't decided on Iowa so the housing question is lost on me yet. PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Sorry I couldn't make it out last night with everyone, I had to head out of Iowa City around 4:30.

This was my first admitted students weekend, so I don't really have much to compare it to, but I thought the student panel was helpful and I think if nothing else it gave me a good feel of the kind of students at Iowa. Everyone seemed very laid back, relaxed, respectful, and proud to be an Iowa student. Collins Byrd was pretty entertaining and I think he really "set the tone" for the day - it was very easy to feel comfortable there. The building itself was better than I expected (although I wouldn't say it is incredible or anything), and I liked the location on campus. Downtown Iowa City was pretty cool even though I only made it out to three bars Thursday night. During the day it was nice to walk around and check out the local shops and places to eat.

When it was all said and done my impression of Iowa definitely went up. The one thing I will say, which another poster mentioned, is that it seemed the student panel was pretty much comprised of scholarship recipients and there was a sense of, "Yeah I am thrilled to be at Iowa (because I received a hefty scholarship)!" As someone who is not likely to receive any merit aid, I am curious to hear how students who are looking at a large amount of debt feel about Iowa and job prospects.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 pm

traehekat wrote:Sorry I couldn't make it out last night with everyone, I had to head out of Iowa City around 4:30.

This was my first admitted students weekend, so I don't really have much to compare it to, but I thought the student panel was helpful and I think if nothing else it gave me a good feel of the kind of students at Iowa. Everyone seemed very laid back, relaxed, respectful, and proud to be an Iowa student. Collins Byrd was pretty entertaining and I think he really "set the tone" for the day - it was very easy to feel comfortable there. The building itself was better than I expected (although I wouldn't say it is incredible or anything), and I liked the location on campus. Downtown Iowa City was pretty cool even though I only made it out to three bars Thursday night. During the day it was nice to walk around and check out the local shops and places to eat.

When it was all said and done my impression of Iowa definitely went up. The one thing I will say, which another poster mentioned, is that it seemed the student panel was pretty much comprised of scholarship recipients and there was a sense of, "Yeah I am thrilled to be at Iowa (because I received a hefty scholarship)!" As someone who is not likely to receive any merit aid, I am curious to hear how students who are looking at a large amount of debt feel about Iowa and job prospects.
First off, isn't it cool enough that the building is the death star? :P

Second, if the panel showed anything it was that yes they might've all had some sort of scholarship, but a couple (namely the New Yorker and the Black girl) seemed to have gone out and found independent scholarships. What they were there to show was that you might not have gotten a scholarship from the school, but it was still possible to get a scholarship if you really wanted it. That coupled with the fact that almost everyone who needs one gets a TA/RA position that comes with health insurance, a modest salary/stipend, and In-State tuition made me really confident that I wouldn't be coming out of Iowa with a ridiculous amount of loans.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 pm

traehekat wrote:Sorry I couldn't make it out last night with everyone, I had to head out of Iowa City around 4:30.

The Iowa prospects look pretty good, I think. Of course, that depends heavily on how well you do. I spoke with a partner at Winston and Strawn in Chicago (close friend of my boss's) who told me that he has only had good experiences with UI students at his firm, and that that sentiment is shared by many of his colleagues. That is anecdotal, obviously, so take it for what it's worth. If you work to find employment, I think you could get placed in many parts of the country, again, as long as you do well in school.

Debt is daunting. With an RA or journal position, the total debt load, barring tuition increases (for the sake of argument) would be something like 125-130k total. With IBR, I don't think that is too bad, all things considered. Then again, it depends on your circumstances.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Edit: Double post. Sorry.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:53 pm

robin600 wrote:Damn it I missed everyone!!!! So pissed! Got to meet a few though!! So next year (if I don't get off any wait lists) I will be living in old gold ct. apartments which is a seven min. walk to the law school, which is awesome! Super excited! For anyone who was wondering I have medium length curly blond hair wore a grey sweater and pants today, navy dress yesterday.

What did everyone think? I'm not going to lie, at first I was a bit turned off, 1) because mr. byrd had no idea who I was AFTER I told him about my PS and accommodated testing (either I must suck, or he wasn't on his game). 2) All the students who were on the panel were scholarship students, and me, not being a scholarship student wanted to talk to someone who wasn't a scholarship recipient to get their perspective on costs/debt management and loans. When I asked the scholarship students about it their response was "IDK I'm on scholarship." "Do you know who I can talk to?" "I guess Financial Aid." I felt like I was stupid or not "up to par", almost second class because I wasn't "scholarship material."

BUT...I think (I hope) this is only admissions talk, and things will change once I attend. I really liked that the law school is separated from the undergraduate sector and the class size is small. I also liked how willing career services are to work with you to find a job that you want in a place you want to work in, which is really important.

IDK, I don't think I'd be unhappy attending Iowa, but it's not my first choice, and if I'm accepted off of one of the three wait lists I am keeping I will attend there instead. IDK mixed vibes, need to think things over...someone talk some sense into me please!
I wouldn't worry about Mr. Byrd not knowing who you were. He seemed to be like a pretty busy man. He didn't even know where restaurants were in coralville because he was out of town so much. I didn't even try to say who I was to him as if he would know me. Then again my story wasn't as unique as yours.

I agree about the panel. I wish there were some students who were more in the middle. I got a scholarship, but I was curious how it was for average people, not just the people at the top. What, three present or former Student Bar presidents, a dual degree student who interns for Ford, two editors for the the journals; I didn't think that was a representative sample of the students.

But overall I was really impressed by the school and their programs. The clinics were a surprise to me. The website makes them seem a bit below par, which I guess they are on some level. But it doesn't talk about how they are more intensive than most programs because you can take them for 9hrs so students end up working in their "law firm" 30-35 hours a week. I like their writing programs too. Because that really is one of the most important part of the legal education. Also the abundance of research assistantships, and the open door policy made them look impressive.

All of that plus the scholarship was enough for me to look the other way from offers from some other schools. Though if I was going to pay full price, though the 2nd and 3rd really wouldn't be full price, I might consider somewhere else. But I like the openness and student center approach that permeated the school.

Oh and I thought the reception was a bust more than anything else, but I am not super sociable, so that may just be me.

Fsubuckeye

New

Post by Fsubuckeye » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:42 pm

So fellow Iowa bound TLSers, how are people searching for roommates?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Fsubuckeye wrote:So fellow Iowa bound TLSers, how are people searching for roommates?
...ummm..., I should get on that.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:54 pm

jaskat wrote:

First off, isn't it cool enough that the building is the death star? :P

Second, if the panel showed anything it was that yes they might've all had some sort of scholarship, but a couple (namely the New Yorker and the Black girl) seemed to have gone out and found independent scholarships. What they were there to show was that you might not have gotten a scholarship from the school, but it was still possible to get a scholarship if you really wanted it. That coupled with the fact that almost everyone who needs one gets a TA/RA position that comes with health insurance, a modest salary/stipend, and In-State tuition made me really confident that I wouldn't be coming out of Iowa with a ridiculous amount of loans.
Hey Jas, just a clarifier, I talked with both the NYer and the african american woman and both are scholarship recepients.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”