WUSTL ASD Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
tomhaverford

New

WUSTL ASD

Post by tomhaverford » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Just starting a thread to discuss ASD for WUSTL. Which day are people planning on going to? I'm thinking of going to the Feb. 26th one but not 100% yet.

Any suggestions from those who went to the Jan. 29th one?

najumobi

Silver

Re: WUSTL ASD

Post by najumobi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:06 pm

tomhaverford wrote:Just starting a thread to discuss ASD for WUSTL. Which day are people planning on going to? I'm thinking of going to the Feb. 26th one but not 100% yet.

i also would like to here about experiences from those who attended the january one. wustl strikes me as a school that is applicants' backup to t18. i think people would hold off on attending a wustl asd until they first here back from those schools.
i've signed up for the march date...

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:11 pm

najumobi wrote:
tomhaverford wrote:Just starting a thread to discuss ASD for WUSTL. Which day are people planning on going to? I'm thinking of going to the Feb. 26th one but not 100% yet.

i also would like to here about experiences from those who attended the january one. wustl strikes me as a school that is applicants' backup to t18. i think people would hold off on attending a wustl asd until they first here back from those schools.
i've signed up for the march date...
+1 on wanting to hear. Neither ASDs work great for us (Hubs need to go and like it too), so I am thinking about going in early March. I'd love to hear if anyone thinks going on the designated days is a big advantage.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 pm

I'll be there in March but would also like to hear about January experiences if anyone has them.

In Purgatory

New

Post by In Purgatory » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 pm

I was at the January one. So far I don't have much to compare it to but it seemed pretty typical, except there were only about 15 people there. Here's an abbreviated schedule with some thoughts about it:

-Dean Welcome speech
-Class --> everyone went to either patent law or crim
-Lunch --> we sat at a table w/ other prospective students, professor, and a current student
-Panels --> student and alumni each with 4 people
-Career services --> impressive presentation in my opinion.
-Tour
-Reception--> wine and cheese with current students. Very useful in getting answers to specific questions w/out a formulaic response.

Definitely a worthwhile day, if wustl's in the mix i would consider checking it out. Also I went downtown Friday night, the bar scene was decent but not many people were out (maybe because people thought 30 degrees was cold? not sure).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:31 pm

I'll be there next weekend. Looking forward to a more formalized look at the law school, the tour I took a few months ago was helpful but I'd imagine it'll be less awkward if I'm not the only one there :?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm

In Purgatory wrote:I was at the January one. So far I don't have much to compare it to but it seemed pretty typical, except there were only about 15 people there. Here's an abbreviated schedule with some thoughts about it:

-Dean Welcome speech
-Lunch --> we sat at a table w/ other prospective students, professor, and a current student
-Tour
-Reception--> wine and cheese with current students. Very useful in getting answers to specific questions w/out a formulaic response.

Definitely a worthwhile day, if wustl's in the mix i would consider checking it out. Also I went downtown Friday night, the bar scene was decent but not many people were out (maybe because people thought 30 degrees was cold? not sure).
Were you eligible for the travel stipend? If so, how did it work? Did they just give you guys forms or did you have to ask about it (awkward)?

In Purgatory

New

Post by In Purgatory » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:48 pm

They don't mention it at all because some people aren't eligible and they don't want to hurt their feelings. Someone asked about it in private though - you just send an email to the admissions office and they send you an unnecessarily complicated reimbursement form that you print out and send in with the receipts. I already got my check so it took less than three weeks.

tomhaverford

New

Post by tomhaverford » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:00 pm

In Purgatory wrote:I was at the January one. So far I don't have much to compare it to but it seemed pretty typical, except there were only about 15 people there. Here's an abbreviated schedule with some thoughts about it:

-Dean Welcome speech
-Tour

Thanks for your input. I signed up for the March 26th ASD a couple of days ago. I'm excited to see the law school and hopefully get some questions answered, especially about their OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm

MBZags wrote: Were you eligible for the travel stipend? If so, how did it work? Did they just give you guys forms or did you have to ask about it (awkward)?
Just as an fyi for people who got the stipend: They didn't mention anything about it at the event and I forgot to ask when I was there. I inquired a couple weeks later and was not eligible anymore because they will only accept them within 2 weeks after the ASD. So, make sure you get one and send it to them asap.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 am

I had my travel stipend forms mailed to me after I registered for the forum (I live in Texas).

I'm flying out tomorrow for the Feb ASD. Anyone else?

faith2202

New

Post by faith2202 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Any updates from the February ASD peeps? I'm signed up for the March one and am excited to hear about the school!

mdgold

New

Post by mdgold » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 pm

faith2202 wrote:Any updates from the February ASD peeps? I'm signed up for the March one and am excited to hear about the school!
+1. going to March ASD and was wondering how it was

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:21 pm

are those of you who are going to the ASD on march 26th doing same day flights (or drives) into and out of st. louis or is anyone planning on traveling to st. louis the day/night before and leaving the day after ASD?

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 am

faith2202 wrote:Any updates from the February ASD peeps? I'm signed up for the March one and am excited to hear about the school!
ASD was fantastic. Professors, current students, and alumni all spoke and were very approachable. The Dean gave a nice speech/pitch. The facilities are absolutely stunning, and the local area offers plenty to do (try out Blueberry Hill while you're there). Having never been to St. Louis or Wash U, I came away really, really impressed.

A few too many panels for my taste, but the reception/happy hour afterwards made up for it. If you have any specific questions, shoot.

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:03 am

ec2xs wrote:
ASD was fantastic. Professors, current students, and alumni all spoke and were very approachable. The Dean gave a nice speech/pitch. The facilities are absolutely stunning, and the local area offers plenty to do (try out Blueberry Hill while you're there). Having never been to St. Louis or Wash U, I came away really, really impressed.

A few too many panels for my taste, but the reception/happy hour afterwards made up for it. If you have any specific questions, shoot.
Did you talk to people about job prospects? What was the genral sentiment among students re ITE?

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 am

Xiaolong wrote:
ec2xs wrote:

Did you talk to people about job prospects? What was the genral sentiment among students re ITE?
Most were optimistic in light of the economy. The staff really stressed that they were working on more California networking to broaden their employment possibilities. Many of the alumni that spoke said that they wouldn't have their jobs if it hadn't been for WUSTL career services or networking (that being said, they were obviously all doing pretty well for themselves to have been asked to speak).

While I was there, I saw several interviews being conducted for 1Ls and 2Ls. It was good to see 1Ls being interviewed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 am

ec2xs wrote:
Xiaolong wrote:
ec2xs wrote:

Most were optimistic in light of the economy. The staff really stressed that they were working on more California networking to broaden their employment possibilities. Many of the alumni that spoke said that they wouldn't have their jobs if it hadn't been for WUSTL career services or networking (that being said, they were obviously all doing pretty well for themselves to have been asked to speak).

While I was there, I saw several interviews being conducted for 1Ls and 2Ls. It was good to see 1Ls being interviewed.
Thanks! Kind of a detail question: Does WashU actually rank its student? Do you have any insight on how OCI works at WashU?

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:48 am

Xiaolong wrote:Thanks! Kind of a detail question: Does WashU actually rank its student? Do you have any insight on how OCI works at WashU?
I want to say that they don't rank, but everyone figures it out (I could be wrong here). No insight on OCI other than what I saw with the 1Ls and 2Ls being interviewed.

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:23 am

ec2xs wrote: The staff really stressed that they were working on more California networking to broaden their employment possibilities.
What exactly are they doing to place grads in California and how successful have they been?
najumobi wrote:are those of you who are going to the ASD on march 26th doing same day flights (or drives) into and out of st. louis or is anyone planning on traveling to st. louis the day/night before and leaving the day after ASD?
I'm planning on flying in on the 25th and leaving on the 27th so I have more time to get a feel for the city.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Mosca wrote:
najumobi wrote:are those of you who are going to the ASD on march 26th doing same day flights (or drives) into and out of st. louis or is anyone planning on traveling to st. louis the day/night before and leaving the day after ASD?
I'm planning on flying in on the 25th and leaving on the 27th so I have more time to get a feel for the city.
same here.....i was thinking along those same lines too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Mosca wrote:
ec2xs wrote: The staff really stressed that they were working on more California networking to broaden their employment possibilities.
What exactly are they doing to place grads in California and how successful have they been?
I honestly don't remember the details (it was during a 20 minute speech by the Dean), but he mentioned that they were trying to draw more firms to hire directly from WUSTL. He said that they felt they already had strong ties to the east coast that they are continuously working, but California was their main focus at the moment. He also made it seem like they had a good number of grads out there already and they were working on milking those connections.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:41 pm

ec2xs wrote:
Mosca wrote:
I honestly don't remember the details (it was during a 20 minute speech by the Dean), but he mentioned that they were trying to draw more firms to hire directly from WUSTL. He said that they felt they already had strong ties to the east coast that they are continuously working, but California was their main focus at the moment. He also made it seem like they had a good number of grads out there already and they were working on milking those connections.
This is good news for me as their placement in CA is the only drawback for WUSTL. Can't wait to go to the ASD on the 26th!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:55 pm

I can't find hotel information for the March 26th ASD on the website anymore. I have registered for ASD already but it just says "Registration is now closed." Where is everyone staying near campus?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:00 pm

jks289 wrote:I can't find hotel information for the March 26th ASD on the website anymore. I have registered for ASD already but it just says "Registration is now closed." Where is everyone staying near campus?
I stayed at the Clayton Sheraton. It was a great hotel, close enough to everything, and they have a Wash U discount.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”