What should girls wear on visits? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
chicagolaw2013

Silver

Re: What should girls wear on visits?

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 pm

dontknowwhereimgoin wrote:Chicagolaw: What would you recommend for a firm interview?
Absolutely a suit and heels. Nothing frumpy though. Lawyer =/= ugly and matronly. It's not like I would wear flats to an interview...geez...just pointing out to James-y that even though he is entitled to his opinion, I'm not going to stop wearing my flats with casual outfits anytime soon.

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm

annabell wrote:I am trying to schedule some prospective student visits and admitted student visits in February. If I were a guy, I would wear khakis and either a polo, sweater, or button-down (probably a button-down with a sweater over it). But for girls it isn't as simple - there's nothing like khakis that is in between jeans and business casual.

If my choices are black pants and a blouse or jeans and a sweater, what would you recommend if I will be sitting down with counselors and visiting a class? Does it really matter as long as you look nice/put-together/like you could be an actual law student?
I am going to say it depends on your look. You definitely do not want to accentuate your buttocks and breasts, but being good looking never hurt anybody in law... male or female. One of the most brilliant people I know teaches the LSAT for a living, because he cannot find a legal job. My presupposition is it is because he weighs close to 300 pounds.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm

logicman86 wrote:
annabell wrote:I am trying to schedule some prospective student visits and admitted student visits in February. If I were a guy, I would wear khakis and either a polo, sweater, or button-down (probably a button-down with a sweater over it). But for girls it isn't as simple - there's nothing like khakis that is in between jeans and business casual.

If my choices are black pants and a blouse or jeans and a sweater, what would you recommend if I will be sitting down with counselors and visiting a class? Does it really matter as long as you look nice/put-together/like you could be an actual law student?
I am going to say it depends on your look. You definitely do not want to accentuate your buttocks and breasts, but being good looking never hurt anybody in law... male or female. One of the most brilliant people I know teaches the LSAT for a living, because he cannot find a legal job. My presupposition is it is because he weighs close to 300 pounds.
That's really sad.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:38 pm

jmhendri wrote:I'm visiting UIUC this weekend and this was something I struggled with too. I'm trying to get bumped off the waitlist...

I'm flying into Chicago on Sunday and spending the day wandering the city, then taking the train into Urbana-Champaign to meet with admissions people. I'm traveling VERY light so I really only want to bring one pair of shoes, but I they can't be heels, or even very sophisticated because they have to be comfortable for touring the city. I decided on chic black rain boots over thick leggings and a structured shirt dress... but the boots I ordered specifically for the trip have been delayed until next week.

So now I have to wear my purple rain boots and hope the don't toss me off the waitlist for being tacky and immature.
Outfit approved except for the purple rain boots. Anything else you could grab out of your closet? I suggest flats (not because that has been the topic of convo in this thread, but anyway...), as they are light to travel with (you could wear your rain boots and fit them in your suitcase), and would look really cute with the leggings and shirt dress.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:39 pm

+1 no purple rain boots to try to get in off a waitlist

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jackster2

New

Post by jackster2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:39 pm

I have friend, female, high powered exec type (President of a fortune 500 company). She belongs to 2 clubs. Ones called "Most Powerful Women Executives" and the other "The C 200 Club". She jokes that the women just get together to compare shoes.

Apparently she wasn't joking.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:41 pm

missvik218 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
James Bond wrote: Flats look kinda dumb on adult women. hth
+1
I don't understand how flats are supposed to stay on your feet anyway. :? I would like to wear them because I'm already tall and heels hurt, but I don't get how they work.
What? :lol:
:oops: Cuz, you know, like they come off your heels and stuff... I try them on in stores sometimes and they always flap off my feet. (ugh, the very thought of shoe shopping is making me need coffee.)
SpaceDawg wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote: EDIT: Oh, and best brands for flats: Michael Kors, Via Spiga, Tory Burch, Burberry, Stuart Weitzman (on occasion...some of them look too old lady-ish), and I've heard good things about Christian Louboutin (but they are WAYYY out of my price range haha). Bad brands: anything under $100 (they will hurt your feet and fall apart, trust me), Coach (cute but tear the crap out of your feet).
You must have a great job. That shit is expensive.
:shock: Seriously... yikes! I don't have very many shoes over $30, much less $100, lol. Thanks for the advice on structure, though. I think I've seen the elasticy ones - the ones that curl up like little elf shoes when you're not wearing them?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Postscript: Obviously, fashion is not my forte. But that does allow me to state with confidence that this:
James Bond wrote:I always thought one of the purposes of wearing nice or stylish clothes/shoes/etc. was to attract members of the other sex.
if actually true, is 100% unnecessary for girls. Nothing I wear deters guys from hitting on me...nothing :( I think the purpose of looking fancy must be mostly to threaten other girls and gain a psychological edge in competition.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:49 pm

pollaclc wrote:+1 no purple rain boots to try to get in off a waitlist
Well, I'm not bringing a suitcase, just a very large tote. But I guess if the consensus is against the purple rain boots then I'll have to make room for something more appropriate.

Possibly my black, patent alligator loafers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:51 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote: I don't understand how flats are supposed to stay on your feet anyway. :? I would like to wear them because I'm already tall and heels hurt, but I don't get how they work.
What? :lol:
:oops: Cuz, you know, like they come off your heels and stuff... I try them on in stores sometimes and they always flap off my feet. (ugh, the very thought of shoe shopping is making me need coffee.)
SpaceDawg wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote: EDIT: Oh, and best brands for flats: Michael Kors, Via Spiga, Tory Burch, Burberry, Stuart Weitzman (on occasion...some of them look too old lady-ish), and I've heard good things about Christian Louboutin (but they are WAYYY out of my price range haha). Bad brands: anything under $100 (they will hurt your feet and fall apart, trust me), Coach (cute but tear the crap out of your feet).
You must have a great job. That shit is expensive.
:shock: Seriously... yikes! I don't have very many shoes over $30, much less $100, lol. Thanks for the advice on structure, though. I think I've seen the elasticy ones - the ones that curl up like little elf shoes when you're not wearing them?
I worked in women's shoes during college so I admit I did get a little spoiled. I spend the majority of my "clothing money" (which really isn't THAT much) on shoes. I find a lot of fantastic deals on clothing (not really a designer whore when it comes to that), so shoes are what I splurge on, since to get a good pair of shoes, you do have to shell out some moolah. I really do believe that the most important thing you put on in the morning is your shoes, as they can actually affect your posture, foot alignment, joint health, etc. As for the "elastic" shoes, don't get anything that actually folds up...VERY unsupportive..Via Spiga and Tory Burch I know for sure have flats with the elastic...if anything, the toe should come up a touch in the front (your foot will stretch it out, of course), but it should in no way completely fold up. Also, the more expensive shoes should last you for YEARS....a pair of shoes from Payless will last a month tops.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Postscript: Obviously, fashion is not my forte. But that does allow me to state with confidence that this:
James Bond wrote:I always thought one of the purposes of wearing nice or stylish clothes/shoes/etc. was to attract members of the other sex.
if actually true, is 100% unnecessary for girls. Nothing I wear deters guys from hitting on me...nothing :( I think the purpose of looking fancy must be mostly to threaten other girls and gain a psychological edge in competition.
+1 on this as well. I've been hit on in flats, heels, boots, sneakers at the gym...pretty much any type of footwear.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm

jmhendri wrote:
pollaclc wrote:+1 no purple rain boots to try to get in off a waitlist
Well, I'm not bringing a suitcase, just a very large tote. But I guess if the consensus is against the purple rain boots then I'll have to make room for something more appropriate.

Possibly my black, patent alligator loafers.
Yeah, if you are trying to get off of a waitlist, purple rain boots are a no. ASD or ASW? Probably wouldn't be THAT big of an issue. As someone on this thread said before, it's not like they will revoke your acceptance because of shoes.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm

anyone care to share their wisdom here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=110703

please?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Oh, on a fun sidenote, for any of the girls in here are looking to wear something fab to a party/event, and don't want to shell out money on something you may only wear once, check this site out:

http://www.renttherunway.com/

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 am

TheLuckyOne wrote:I know it has nothing to do here, but I absolutely love these:

--ImageRemoved--
+1

hilarious.

logicman86

New

Post by logicman86 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 am

SpaceDawg wrote:
logicman86 wrote:

That is my motivation to go to the gym every day.

That's really sad.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:29 am

logicman86 wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
logicman86 wrote:

That is my motivation to go to the gym every day.

That's really sad.
Unless the problem is that you're literally overeating every single fucking day for months, wouldn't the point of going to the gym be to get bigger? i don't get it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:00 am

Who goes to the gym to get "bigger"? I understand. Most of this thread makes it seem like forty angry people from New Jersey, Berkeley, and Alabama got together for a conversation. Dress up a bit, don't make it your goal to become a "huge freakin' guy", and act the part. Remember, Elite isn't something you score, do, or act like. It's something you are.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:03 am

I went to the gym, put on muscle, and lost 37 pounds. Then I went to law school and am no longer strong.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Who goes to the gym to get "bigger"?
I do, dumbass, as do plenty of other people

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:16 pm

James Bond wrote:
Most normal to skinny dudes I'd think .. right? Women pretty universally are trying to lose weight though I'll give you that, or at least tone up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 pm

missvik218 wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Most normal to skinny dudes I'd think .. right? Women pretty universally are trying to lose weight though I'll give you that, or at least tone up.
Yes and they almost universally do it wrong :wink:

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:43 am

Dudes who try to get "big" at the gym= FAIL. Discussion: DOA. But if you're a tool, go for it. The world needs tools. I just changed by burned out brake light using one, so, you know, you're like, in good company.

goblue2010

New

Post by goblue2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:12 pm

question: once it gets warmer out, would it be inappropriate to wear nice open-toe shoes/nicer sandals? this is for an ASD once you've already been admitted...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Dudes who try to get "big" at the gym= FAIL. Discussion: DOA. But if you're a tool, go for it. The world needs tools. I just changed by burned out brake light using one, so, you know, you're like, in good company.
You're an idiot

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”