Resume Length (more than 1 page?) Forum

(Discuss resume building techniques, LinkedIn profile suggestions, cover letters)
Chrstgtr

Bronze

Resume Length (more than 1 page?)

Post by Chrstgtr » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:01 pm

I’m a biglaw mid level. 5-6 years of experience at 2 big law firms. How long should my resume be?

Relatedly, do I list law school jobs? What about pre-law school jobs?

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Resume Length (more than 1 page?)

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:54 pm

1 page. List pre-JD jobs if you think they are helpful or interesting; omit them if not.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:02 pm

as a midlevel you ought to have reviewed enough resumes to know that the extra length never does anyone any good in our profession

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:00 am

This is sorta an aside, but to piggyback on this- what if we've got a good amount of publications? Should we just toss them onto a second page and do a header Publications section?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:00 am
This is sorta an aside, but to piggyback on this- what if we've got a good amount of publications? Should we just toss them onto a second page and do a header Publications section?
You should list the top 2 or 3 with full name, citation, etc. And then have a line that says something to the effect of "Various other publications in Journal A, Magazine B, Law Review C, etc. Just like if you had too many jobs to list them all. Pick the ones that make you look best and are most relevant. In a private-sector resume, it is not worth going to two pages for publications. Obviously different in the academic or quasi-academic context.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:00 am
I'd put it on my deal sheet. I think the recommendation is 1-page resume, and deal sheet as long as you want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:50 pm

The rules of human nature are pretty much universal, regardless of industry: if you have a person who is flipping through tons of resumes, using a two-page resume is a wasted effort and might even be destructive by causing annoyance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Resume Tips”