Three firms in three years Forum

(Deciding to leave, same firm different office, Reference requests)
Luckystrike3090

New

Three firms in three years

Post by Luckystrike3090 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:44 pm

I am currently interviewing for patent pros positions as a rising 4th year. I was in Biglaw for 1.5 years and was let go because of the COVID slowdown. I joined a small but well respected IP boutique for about $180k and have been there for about 1.5 years, but it has been just as slow as my old firm. Last year I billed 1000 hours with an 1800 hour target and got no raise or bonus. This year I am on track for 1500, still below target. My performance review is not until November. However, right now is really hot for my technical background and I can't wait until November in case I miss a great opportunity. I am getting interviews with both IP boutiques and Biglaw, both for my city and for remote roles, and at my current salary up to Biglaw $. My question is about the risk of jumping law firms again so soon. With COVID and the hot lateral market, will I kill my career if this next job doesn't work out? Also, if I have offers in hand, is it crazy to ask for enough money to stay even if I am low on hours? I wouldn't mention other offers, as this may backfire, but I feel that I may have some leverage, as I am the only associate with my technical background in my group. Thanks upfront for any advice!

sparty99

Gold

Re: Three firms in three years

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:38 pm

I would leave for more money and so you don't have to worry about your hours. You will have to be at your next firm for 2 to 4 years so you don't look like a job hopper. Although who cares, really.

Prudent_Jurist

Bronze

Post by Prudent_Jurist » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:11 pm

At this point, OP, my only question is how high can you go?

nihonsundeitai

New

Post by nihonsundeitai » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:31 am

The market has changed a lot the last few years. I don't think it will matter as long as you have a good reason as to why you lateraled each time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Lateral Moves”