Prospects of MC (London) to US (non NY)? Forum

(Deciding to leave, same firm different office, Reference requests)
MCtoUS

New

Prospects of MC (London) to US (non NY)?

Post by MCtoUS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:27 am

I am a law student in the UK. I hold a training contract from a Magic Circle firm and I'm considering whether I should still apply to more US firms' London offices.

I hope to be able to move to California, or the US generally, in the future. What are the prospects of lateralling upon qualification: (1) from my MC firm's London office to US office, (2) to a different firm in the US? And does the situation change if I begin my career at a US firm's London office instead of the Magic Circle firm?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has experience UK–US lateralling!

Anonymous User

Re: Prospects of MC (London) to US (non NY)?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:50 pm

MCtoUS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:27 am
I am a law student in the UK. I hold a training contract from a Magic Circle firm and I'm considering whether I should still apply to more US firms' London offices.

I hope to be able to move to California, or the US generally, in the future. What are the prospects of lateralling upon qualification: (1) from my MC firm's London office to US office, (2) to a different firm in the US? And does the situation change if I begin my career at a US firm's London office instead of the Magic Circle firm?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has experience UK–US lateralling!
As a practical matter, your visa status is the most meaningful barrier. Without a US work right, it's unlikely that you will have an easy time moving either internally or as a lateral. MC firms have very few (any?) lawyers/offices in CA, so a lateral move would be necessary. Finally, such a move would be difficult outside of a corporate practice (M&A and CM being the least difficult moves).

All that to say, as a trainee in the London, I'd be very wary of relying on this plan in the future, any especially if you're not a US passport holder or have some other avenue to a work authorization.

MCtoUS

New

Re: Prospects of MC (London) to US (non NY)?

Post by MCtoUS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 pm

Thanks for the reply Anon! I should have mentioned that I'm Canadian, so work authorization wouldn't be a major hurdle (TN visa). With that in mind, would you say it's difficult to transfer internally within a MC firm to a NY office? I am assuming it will nonetheless be incredibly competitive given the difference in salary

Thanks again

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Lateral Moves”