Positioning self to lateral as a stub year Forum

(Deciding to leave, same firm different office, Reference requests)
Anonymous User

Positioning self to lateral as a stub year

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:06 am

Hello, I’m looking for some advice from some experienced attorneys.

I just joined my firm as a stub year. For various reasons, I'm interested in lateraling. My question is: what should I do? When is it a right time to lateral? Do particular skills or experience lateral easier? Do top firms (not necessarily Wachtell NYC, but a White&Case, Akin Gump type-firm) often take junior laterals? Should I start applying for clerkships? As a stub year, am I completely over my skis even considering this?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

ETA: deleted a lot of context to preserve anonymity
ETA: deleted even more context to preserve anonymity
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Positioning self to lateral as a stub year

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:57 pm

This post sounds so identical to my situation that I thought I must've blacked out and wrote it. Also interested in this same thing. After talking to people at this (easily identifiable) firm about the controversial client issue, I'm no longer worried that everyone at the firm is a trumper, and I feel good knowing that it has just as many liberal clients and does legit substantial pro bono. However, while nice, that's not enough for me to be comfortable here. Also extremely worried about the pay issue and don't want to remain here if I'm getting paid tens of thousands less than my friends at peer firms. Really appreciate any insight on this that isn't already in the pay thread.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:14 pm

OP -- I didn't try, but there is enough info in your post that I think it would be really easy for someone at your firm to identify you (between school, rank, firm, previous location, previous work experience, and class year). I would consider editing. If you are in lit, easiest thing would be to the clerkship market. Probably district court for fall 2022, and circuit for 2023.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:14 pm
OP -- I didn't try, but there is enough info in your post that I think it would be really easy for someone at your firm to identify you (between school, rank, firm, previous location, previous work experience, and class year). I would consider editing. If you are in lit, easiest thing would be to the clerkship market. Probably district court for fall 2022, and circuit for 2023.
OP, i did try, and it’s very easy to find you based on this info. Would recommend taking out all identifying information about where you work/worked and why you’re looking to leave. That won’t have any bearing on the answer you receive (I would also recommend starting to look in a year, since the pay issue won’t be super relevant for you until your review in summer 2022).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:33 am

@Pneumonia — thank you, I edited to remove the context.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Lateral Moves”