Lateraling into Atlanta

(Deciding to leave, same firm different office, Reference requests)
Anonymous User
Posts: 368923
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm looking to lateral into the ATL market in a year or so for family reasons, after I complete a (non-11th Cir.) COA clerkship. Distinguished myself at a T14 law school outside the South, have major-market BigLaw experience under my belt as well, and attended undergrad in Georgia. The general consensus seems to be that the ATL market is a pretty tough nut to crack. A few questions that I'd love some help with:

(1) Am I going to be SoL because I didn't attend UGA/Emory/Vandy? Or do you think my ties (plus my family connections) are generally sufficient?

(2) Is it worth using a recruiter in a situation like this, or just mass mailing? I've heard that sometimes the steep recruiter fees (especially for a mid-level associate like me) can be a turn-off, and all the more so if the firm has to pony up a clerkship bonus as well. I have a connection at K&S, which is obviously a great start, but nothing much elsewhere.

(3) Any advice on specific firms with strong practices in Commercial Litigation, Appellate, and Gov't Investigations? Bondurant would be the dream, but I see that they don't/rarely hire laterals. Any data points in the other direction re: Bondurant? What about Jones Day, Kilpatrick, or Paul Hastings? I feel like there's a fair bit of intel out there on K&S and A+B, but less about these firms. Partnership prospects aren't a critical factor, as long as there are decent Fed or other exit options.

Thanks!

Wubbles

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Re: Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by Wubbles » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:12 pm

My guess is that things will be easy for you. You have ties more than taken care of with family and undergrad, plus with your credentials I don't anyone will think you're using them as a fallback if you took the time to not just apply to big players in New York or whatever or return to your old firm. Best of luck!

gregfootball2001

Silver
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking to lateral into the ATL market in a year or so for family reasons, after I complete a (non-11th Cir.) COA clerkship. Distinguished myself at a T14 law school outside the South, have major-market BigLaw experience under my belt as well, and attended undergrad in Georgia. The general consensus seems to be that the ATL market is a pretty tough nut to crack. A few questions that I'd love some help with:

(1) Am I going to be SoL because I didn't attend UGA/Emory/Vandy? Or do you think my ties (plus my family connections) are generally sufficient?
I think you'll be fine in Atlanta. Good schools are looked upon highly (we have a bunch of UVA people at my firm), and you'll probably find an alumni or three at the big firms. Anyway, you're coming back for family reasons, so you're not a flight risk. Shouldn't be a problem.
Anonymous User wrote:(2) Is it worth using a recruiter in a situation like this, or just mass mailing? I've heard that sometimes the steep recruiter fees (especially for a mid-level associate like me) can be a turn-off, and all the more so if the firm has to pony up a clerkship bonus as well. I have a connection at K&S, which is obviously a great start, but nothing much elsewhere.
Try applying to a few places by yourself, but it couldn't hurt to contact a recruiter and see if they know of any non-published openings. You wouldn't have known about those openings anyway, so might as well try.
Anonymous User wrote:(3) Any advice on specific firms with strong practices in Commercial Litigation, Appellate, and Gov't Investigations? Bondurant would be the dream, but I see that they don't/rarely hire laterals. Any data points in the other direction re: Bondurant? What about Jones Day, Kilpatrick, or Paul Hastings? I feel like there's a fair bit of intel out there on K&S and A+B, but less about these firms. Partnership prospects aren't a critical factor, as long as there are decent Fed or other exit options.

Not sure if you'd be considered a lateral for Bondurant purposes, or just coming off a clerkship. You have to have a clerkship to work there, so there's certainly a shot. Can't comment otherwise.

Good luck!

bella07

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:21 am

Re: Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by bella07 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Jones Day lit group is horrible and I would stay away from that unless you relish toxic work environments and don't ever want to see your family. Paul Hastings is a really small office here so might not be good for long term career growth in Atlanta. Kilpatrick is fine but not among most respected for commercial lit. You probably won't get Bondurant without 11th Circuit clerkship or a NDGa feeder clerkship. Are you only interested in BigLaw? Atlanta has a number or Bondurant wannabes that are more respected in the commercial lit realm, offer better chances for career growth, and often prefer laterals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 368923
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:11 pm

bella07 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:45 pm
Jones Day lit group is horrible and I would stay away from that unless you relish toxic work environments and don't ever want to see your family. Paul Hastings is a really small office here so might not be good for long term career growth in Atlanta. Kilpatrick is fine but not among most respected for commercial lit. You probably won't get Bondurant without 11th Circuit clerkship or a NDGa feeder clerkship. Are you only interested in BigLaw? Atlanta has a number or Bondurant wannabes that are more respected in the commercial lit realm, offer better chances for career growth, and often prefer laterals.
Can you let us know which ones? Hard to find info about Atlanta boutique lit groups outside of Bondurant

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 368923
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:12 pm

deleted (double post)

bella07

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:21 am

Re: Lateraling into Atlanta

Post by bella07 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Rogers & Hardin; Caplan Cobb; Krevolin & Horst. All these places have folks who worked BigLaw or Bondurant, have top-notch educational credentials, and/or clerked.
Then you also have the regional firms like Parker Hudson, Morris Manning, Arnall Golden etc that may or may not pay market. Just stay away from Jones Day.jw4y

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Lateral Moves”