Reaching out to firms for lateral Forum

(Deciding to leave, same firm different office, Reference requests)
Anonymous User

Reaching out to firms for lateral

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 pm

I previously had a post about lateraling very quickly after lateraling in.

I decided to avoid a recruiter this time and I was wondering if there was any good way to go about reaching out to firms to see if they have any needs. There aren’t many postings for the area of law I work in and I’ve noticed some of the firms do t have a junior/mid level (or any) associate. If it were a posted position, I could obviously just give it to a classmate to submit for me. However, given that this isn’t posted and the fact that I have nothing to lose, should I just email one of the junior partners/counsel to meet/chat, etc.? Then see if they have an opening afterwards? I would prefer to just cold email them, but I doubt that’ll go over well.

JHP

Bronze

Re: Reaching out to firms for lateral

Post by JHP » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 pm

Reviving/bumping this thread because I'm also interested.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but as an additional question, since I've realized I have no clue how to draft a lateral resume--is it bad practice to be a little more specific about what deals you worked on if they were public deals? Obviously, would keep other stuff super generic "i.e. represented clients in merger and acquisition transactions" blah blah.

RedGiant

Re: Reaching out to firms for lateral

Post by RedGiant » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:52 am

a few free form thoughts:

* your resume will be largely similar but you should move your education to the bottom and experience to the top.
* ask an older colleague or lateral for an example of a dealsheet. If you need a sample PM me. Tell them that you just want to know how to keep track.
* it's pretty hard to lateral if you're junior and don't have long tenure. Maybe reading comp fail here (it's late), but it's not completely clear you're junior, but rather that you haven't spent as much time at your firm--you may not be totally junior.
* if you're looking for postings, scour ABA job boards, ACC job board, LinkedIn, laterally, local bar association job boards, alumni postings.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Lateral Moves”