Vermont Law School Green Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vlsorbust

New

Re: Vermont Law School Green Room

Post by vlsorbust » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:27 am

sunshinefairy wrote:Accepted today via email - status checker went from "file complete" to "you have been admitted" on 3/12/10.

YAY! No word on scholarship, packet should be coming in snail mail soon.

A tour of Hanover may be required! And looking into buying an AWD so I can commute in the snow on those twisty small roads leading to the school, ek!
Congrats! I hope to see you there (no word on my app yet, though).

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Do folks know if the initial acceptance letter that comes in the mail will contain scholarship information?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Mine did.

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:09 pm

beach_terror wrote:Mine did.
Yay! Thank you very much! Is anyone doing the online chat tomorrow?

rustbeltchick

New

Post by rustbeltchick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 am

I have lived in VT 11 years this April. I'm originally from a city setting, and for me VT has been very good to live in. You definitely need to learn how to make your own fun. Liking some sort of winter sport helps too. Overall, though, it is a very nice place.

If anyone needs info on the area I can try to fill you in...but really it depends on your personality whether you can like life here. Frankly, though, in law school we're not going to have much of a life! Less distraction=more time to study. That's good, right? :)

Am waiting for my official yes--lucky for me I am finishing my BA at a local liberal arts college that has an articulation agreement with VLS, so as far as I know they have to take me!

Good luck to all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rustbeltchick

New

Post by rustbeltchick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:43 am

[quote="sunshinefairy"]

I visited the school last fall and it is REALLY in the middle of no-where.

Actually SoRo is, by Vermont standards, pretty well situated. You are right near a major interstate highway, so getting down to Boston or NYC is fairly straightforward. From White River Junction (about half an hour away) you can hop on a cheap bus to Boston if you crave museums, etc. Montreal is just as close, and really fun to visit. Within VT we have lots of museums, theater, music venues, art happenings, and of course outdoor sports.

We also have a lot of farmers, so you don't need a mega grocery store to get your food. I happen to know that SoRo, White River Junction, and Hanover all have good (albeit small) co-ops.

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 am

rustbeltchick wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:
I visited the school last fall and it is REALLY in the middle of no-where.

Actually SoRo is, by Vermont standards, pretty well situated. You are right near a major interstate highway, so getting down to Boston or NYC is fairly straightforward. From White River Junction (about half an hour away) you can hop on a cheap bus to Boston if you crave museums, etc. Montreal is just as close, and really fun to visit. Within VT we have lots of museums, theater, music venues, art happenings, and of course outdoor sports.

We also have a lot of farmers, so you don't need a mega grocery store to get your food. I happen to know that SoRo, White River Junction, and Hanover all have good (albeit small) co-ops.
Fabulous insight! Thank you! Has anyone heard what most VLS students do for externships/summer employment?

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:47 pm

No money...that hurts. Ek. Now I'm looking at White River Junction, Bethel, and Woodstock in addition to Hanover. Anyone been to those towns?

rustbeltchick

New

Post by rustbeltchick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 pm

@sunshine:

I've been to those towns. I've really just driven through Bethel, but it is close to VLS, which would be convenient. I don't know what the rental market is in Woodstock, but I bet it's expensive. You never know, though.

Why not live in South Royalton? Your partner could commute to work.

You might try advertising for a place on VT Craigslist. I have found two apartments through the site and so have friends.

Also, VLS has a housing finder. They have lots of places advertised right now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:17 pm

rustbeltchick wrote:@sunshine:

I've been to those towns. I've really just driven through Bethel, but it is close to VLS, which would be convenient. I don't know what the rental market is in Woodstock, but I bet it's expensive. You never know, though.

Why not live in South Royalton? Your partner could commute to work.

You might try advertising for a place on VT Craigslist. I have found two apartments through the site and so have friends.

Also, VLS has a housing finder. They have lots of places advertised right now...
Here is the kicker...my partner doesn't want to commute...so we would need to find somewhere that he could work and then drivable to South Royalton for me (20 to 25 minutes tops). I'll post a request on facebook and see if we get any hits - thanks for the advice. I also looked at VLS' housing site but didn't find much that fit our needs/budget.

I feel like the move is so much harder considering employment/location for my partner. If he's miserable, it will just make law school even harder. You know?

rustbeltchick

New

Post by rustbeltchick » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:16 pm

In via email!

vlsorbust

New

Post by vlsorbust » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:33 pm

rustbeltchick wrote:In via email!
Congrats! Mind if I ask when you went complete? I'm still waiting... :-(

rustbeltchick

New

Post by rustbeltchick » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 pm

2/28.

It should be taken into account that I am finishing my BA at a school with an articulation agreement w/VLS--aka they have to accept me.

I hope you hear something soon!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vlsorbust

New

Post by vlsorbust » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:00 pm

rustbeltchick wrote:2/28.

It should be taken into account that I am finishing my BA at a school with an articulation agreement w/VLS--aka they have to accept me.

I hope you hear something soon!
Thanks! I hope so too, and congrats again on your acceptance. :)

L-AWS

New

Post by L-AWS » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:04 pm

got the $25k/yr dean's scholarship a while back but haven't had the chance to visit, and since some other schools are giving me fullies and stipends, I don't know if VLS will be it for me...

Will probably withdraw next week, so maybe it will go on to one of you guys.

catscradle

New

Post by catscradle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm

did anybody go to the ASD today?

vlsorbust

New

Post by vlsorbust » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 pm

catscradle wrote:did anybody go to the ASD today?
I really would have liked to attend, but I haven't even received my decision yet. :cry: Complete since 2/12 and still no love. *sigh*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

englishfire3

New

Post by englishfire3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Congrats to all! I'm in my last semester of my undergrad studies, and have been looking at a lot of law schools. I'm interested in environmental law, so naturally I have been checking out VLS. I'm wondering though, how is the campus? I can't seem to find any pictures or virtual tours of the campus. I'd love to see something without going all the way to Vermont, seeing as I can't at the time being. Can anyone help me with this? It would be much appreciated :)

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 am

In an ironic twist of fate, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance to VLS which came with a $20k/yr scholarship. I hope the money goes to another deserving future environmental lawyer. Good luck to everyone out there making decisions!

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 pm

I didn't put down my seat deposit...going to Northeastern.

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 pm

englishfire3 wrote:Congrats to all! I'm in my last semester of my undergrad studies, and have been looking at a lot of law schools. I'm interested in environmental law, so naturally I have been checking out VLS. I'm wondering though, how is the campus? I can't seem to find any pictures or virtual tours of the campus. I'd love to see something without going all the way to Vermont, seeing as I can't at the time being. Can anyone help me with this? It would be much appreciated :)
The campus is for real in the middle of NO WHERE (and I'm from West Virginia). The area is gorgeous and I'm sure there are tons of outdoor activities. The campus is broken up into different academic buildings, which was a nice change from the typical multi-story one building law school found in other cities. The buildings are Victorian style and just adorable. I would HIGHLY recommend visiting just so you are sure you feel comfortable with the location. Hope this helps! PM me if you want more information.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

imahotlittlepotato

New

Post by imahotlittlepotato » Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 pm

gatorlion wrote:In an ironic twist of fate, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance to VLS which came with a $20k/yr scholarship. I hope the money goes to another deserving future environmental lawyer. Good luck to everyone out there making decisions!

But I was going to meet and marry you for your hilarious avatar... now I don't know why I said yes to vls. :(

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Wed May 05, 2010 12:22 pm

imahotlittlepotato wrote:
gatorlion wrote:In an ironic twist of fate, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance to VLS which came with a $20k/yr scholarship. I hope the money goes to another deserving future environmental lawyer. Good luck to everyone out there making decisions!

But I was going to meet and marry you for your hilarious avatar... now I don't know why I said yes to vls. :(
I'm flattered by your assessment based on my avatar lol. Someone should start up that thread where everyone posts self-tars. In any case, good luck at VLS. I'll have to tough it out here in Southern California...

imahotlittlepotato

New

Has anyone signed up for the Jump Start Pre-Orientation thin

Post by imahotlittlepotato » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 am

So I haven't been home in a few days, and I just received the letter about the Pre-Orientation. Has anyone else here applied for it? Any thoughts?

I'm going to feel guilty if I don't apply for it. But the deadline is tomorrow, and I'm just sitting here staring at a blank word document instead of writing the statement of interest. Actually, I was staring at a blank document, until I wrote a poem. I realize I should not actually send this poem to VLS... but I worked hard on it, so I want to share it with all of you.

--------------------

My Statement of Interest

I haven’t been a student for at least three care-free years.
I hear that 1L life is full of drama, stress, and tears.
I hope that all this anguish can in some way be prevented.
Therefore, I’m asking you to let me be pre-oriented.

I’m spending all this summer in a hot anticipation
To do my best! To make the most! of this new education.
I dream to someday serve the poor, the underrepresented.
I’m asking you, therefore, to let me be pre-oriented.

Please show me how to thrive, for I want more than mere survival!
Just show me how to brief a case – I’ll ace upon arrival!
Do listen, please, to these poetic arguments presented…
I’ll be all I can be if I can be pre-oriented!

---------------

I wish I could just send this in to them...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”