Seattle 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oberlin08

Bronze

Re: Seattle 2010

Post by oberlin08 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:24 pm

How long would it take to drive (or take the bus) from Queen Anne to SU during the rush hours?

How about around UW?

Or Greenlake area?

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:06 pm

oberlin08 wrote:How long would it take to drive (or take the bus) from Queen Anne to SU during the rush hours?

How about around UW?

Or Greenlake area?

Queen Anne to SU can be a HUGE pain during rush hour..........google "mercer mess"

From UW wouldn't be bad, but personally I think there are much nicer areas to live in within walking/biking distance of SU.

From Greenlake could get a little messy during rush hour, I-5 would be your best route and obviously thats going to back up. Also 50th and 45th streets running East-West get backed up from Hwy 99 thru I-5.

I would really recommend looking close to campus around Capitol Hill.

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:09 pm

How long does it take to get a decision after you get the status checker generally?

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Sat May 01, 2010 3:41 am

autoding wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:How long would it take to drive (or take the bus) from Queen Anne to SU during the rush hours?

How about around UW?

Or Greenlake area?

Queen Anne to SU can be a HUGE pain during rush hour..........google "mercer mess"

From UW wouldn't be bad, but personally I think there are much nicer areas to live in within walking/biking distance of SU.

From Greenlake could get a little messy during rush hour, I-5 would be your best route and obviously thats going to back up. Also 50th and 45th streets running East-West get backed up from Hwy 99 thru I-5.

Actually, if you take either the back way from QA on highway 99 or take 15th Avenue to Western and then take Western to the Pioneer Square area (think James) up to Capital Hill / SU, it should only take you about 15-25 minutes maximum to SU from QA via car in rush hour traffic. Without traffic, it probably would take you about 10 minutes. Traffic in Seattle is not nearly as bad as other areas of the country IMHO. :wink:

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Sat May 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Yeah, I don't mean to dissuade anyone from checking out Queen Anne if you think thats where you want to live, its doable.

I probably have a lower tolerance for long daily commutes than most people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sat May 01, 2010 3:33 pm

seattlite wrote: Actually, if you take either the back way from QA on highway 99 or take 15th Avenue to Western and then take Western to the Pioneer Square area (think James) up to Capital Hill / SU, it should only take you about 15-25 minutes maximum to SU from QA via car in rush hour traffic. Without traffic, it probably would take you about 10 minutes. Traffic in Seattle is not nearly as bad as other areas of the country IMHO. :wink:
15th/Elliot to Western and then on to Yessler/ James is generally the credited response for lower QA->SU, but it doesn't take much to go wrong for this to stretch out over 45 minutes during the evening rush.

rufioooooo

New

Post by rufioooooo » Sat May 01, 2010 3:39 pm

so how hard is it to get A's with this grade curve? i've never had to deal with a grading curve before....

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on how to ask for an update via email? I've been in review since 2/25. I'm hoping that the wait means that I'm not going to get dinged.

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 pm

jepoy wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on how to ask for an update via email? I've been in review since 2/25. I'm hoping that the wait means that I'm not going to get dinged.

Jepoy,

Have you gotten a decision yet?

Anyone else still waiting?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 am

autoding wrote:
jepoy wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on how to ask for an update via email? I've been in review since 2/25. I'm hoping that the wait means that I'm not going to get dinged.

Jepoy,

Nah nothing yet. I called on Wednesday and the lady I spoke to told me that my application is with the committee. I'm guessing you're on the waiting boat too?

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Wed May 12, 2010 6:55 pm

jepoy wrote:
autoding wrote:

Jepoy,

Nah nothing yet. I called on Wednesday and the lady I spoke to told me that my application is with the committee. I'm guessing you're on the waiting boat too?
In today by status checker!

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm

autoding wrote:

How about around UW?

Or Greenlake area?

Any opinions on the Madrona/Leschi areal? Looks like it's still pretty close to school but I'm finding cheaper rents there. Is it a good/safe area?

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Wed May 12, 2010 7:58 pm

jepoy wrote:
jepoy wrote:
autoding wrote:

Jepoy,

Congratulations!!!

I had finally weaned myself off obsessively checking my status, but saw your update here and ran to my own status checker.............and I am in as well!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed May 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Congratulations!!!

I had finally weaned myself off obsessively checking my status, but saw your update here and ran to my own status checker.............and I am in as well!
Congrats, guys! :D

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:52 pm

upfish wrote:
Congratulations!!!

Congrats, guys! :D
Congratulations as well autoding!

Thank you upfish!

I can't wait to start school.

juliosilverwolf

New

Post by juliosilverwolf » Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 am

Congrats to you guys finally admitted! So - Who is going to Spring Visit Day on Monday, and who is starting in June? (Me, on both counts, for one).

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 am

Izzle13 wrote:
autoding wrote:

How about around UW?

Or Greenlake area?

Any opinions on the Madrona/Leschi areal? Looks like it's still pretty close to school but I'm finding cheaper rents there. Is it a good/safe area?
Madrona / Leschi are good areas, though they are hard to get to without a car I believe (you have to go through somewhat sketchy areas to get between those areas and SU). So, while those are great areas, you should probably factor in the cost of transportation (parking) into your costs. Just my 2 cents. I live in NE Seattle and will likely be parking on campus as well (though my husband might be shuttling himself to downtown from SU everyday). Parking at SU is cheaper than downtown, though expensive for a law student. :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 pm

rufioooooo wrote:so how hard is it to get A's with this grade curve? i've never had to deal with a grading curve before....
I'm a 2L at SU and the curve is set to a B- so its pretty hard to get an A. there were probably 5 - 10 people in my 90 person section that got A's. Everyone in LS is coming in having never gotten anything other than A's their entire life, but 75% of the class or more are not going to get an A, so be prepared for a shock to the system. LS grading is a crap shoot you will get B+'s in classes you barely studied for an C+'s for classes you thought you had down cold.

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
rufioooooo wrote:so how hard is it to get A's with this grade curve? i've never had to deal with a grading curve before....
I'm a 2L at SU and the curve is set to a B- so its pretty hard to get an A. there were probably 5 - 10 people in my 90 person section that got A's. Everyone in LS is coming in having never gotten anything other than A's their entire life , but 75% of the class or more are not going to get an A, so be prepared for a shock to the system. LS grading is a crap shoot you will get B+'s in classes you barely studied for an C+'s for classes you thought you had down cold.

:D My only A in undergrad was in Astronomy.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
I'm a 2L at SU and the curve is set to a B- so its pretty hard to get an A. there were probably 5 - 10 people in my 90 person section that got A's. Everyone in LS is coming in having never gotten anything other than A's their entire life, but 75% of the class or more are not going to get an A, so be prepared for a shock to the system. LS grading is a crap shoot you will get B+'s in classes you barely studied for an C+'s for classes you thought you had down cold.
There are people with UG 4.0s at SU? o.O

I've heard that the curve makes you look bad to prospective employers because other schools curve at B+. Can you comment on that?

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 pm

juliosilverwolf wrote:Congrats to you guys finally admitted! So - Who is going to Spring Visit Day on Monday, and who is starting in June? (Me, on both counts, for one).
Thank you juliosilverwolf! Neither for me. I couldn't get the day off for the visit day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Does anyone know when they might be releasing more detailed information about the start of school, like registration, email addresses etc?

juliosilverwolf

New

Post by juliosilverwolf » Fri May 14, 2010 4:43 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Does anyone know when they might be releasing more detailed information about the start of school, like registration, email addresses etc?
I'm told (by the AD of Adminissions) that this kind of information will start flowing on Monday.

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Fri May 14, 2010 4:43 pm

juliosilverwolf wrote:Congrats to you guys finally admitted! So - Who is going to Spring Visit Day on Monday, and who is starting in June? (Me, on both counts, for one).

Where did you receive the info for the Spring Visit day?

juliosilverwolf

New

Post by juliosilverwolf » Fri May 14, 2010 4:55 pm

autoding wrote:

Where did you receive the info for the Spring Visit day?
I think in an email, and maybe the website? Lemme look....

--LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”