Rutgers-Camden Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dp73816

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Camden

Post by dp73816 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am

Better than balls-out hectic...screw snow days that cancel court - We had 26 (!) cases on the docket today

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 am

dp73816 wrote:Better than balls-out hectic...screw snow days that cancel court - We had 26 (!) cases on the docket today
it's snowing out there :shock:

beautiful and sunny here! makes work even less enjoyable. and the weekends need to stop going by so quickly.

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:26 am

Any thoughts on the Cooper Grant Neighborhood? It seems more standard apartment like and the price difference is 100-200 per person less.

Jerzeegirl

New

Post by Jerzeegirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:02 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Jerzeegirl wrote:Sending in my seat deposit but I'm not sold on the location. Drove down again this past weekend. The campus is nice but you don't have to walk far to find yourself in a bad area. Is there a family-friendly neighborhood nearby? Should I look for a place in Philly? I checked out some of the places in the off-campus housing pamphlet and I wasn't too excited. I don't know if I need to lower my expectations or if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Man, I am going to have to get used to living in the north...people must realize there are bad areas wherever you go! From what I've seen, it looks about the same as where I worked in the summers (Durham, NC) and grew up (outside Atlanta). I guess people just arent used to living around them?
I'm living in Haddonfield, but I heard Collingswood and Cherry Hill are also very nice. My rent will be around 1200, so its not too bad. The towns are really pretty, and on the PATCO line - between 5 and 10 minutes away from campus at most!
I understand there are bad areas everywhere. I lived in NYC for almost ten years. But I'd like to live in a neighborhood that is relatively safe so that I don't have to worry AS MUCH about my kids when they go outside to play. I realize that even in the nicest areas bad things happen, but there are places you can choose to live where they are less likely to happen. Anyways, I'm looking into some of the gated communities a little further from the school. Not happy about having to move and still commute, but I'm guessing it will be preferable to having my kids go stir crazy while I'm busy studying.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:
dp73816 wrote:
Jerzeegirl wrote:Sending in my seat deposit but I'm not sold on the location. Drove down again this past weekend. The campus is nice but you don't have to walk far to find yourself in a bad area. Is there a family-friendly neighborhood nearby? Should I look for a place in Philly? I checked out some of the places in the off-campus housing pamphlet and I wasn't too excited. I don't know if I need to lower my expectations or if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Man, I am going to have to get used to living in the north...people must realize there are bad areas wherever you go! From what I've seen, it looks about the same as where I worked in the summers (Durham, NC) and grew up (outside Atlanta). I guess people just arent used to living around them?
I'm living in Haddonfield, but I heard Collingswood and Cherry Hill are also very nice. My rent will be around 1200, so its not too bad. The towns are really pretty, and on the PATCO line - between 5 and 10 minutes away from campus at most!
I understand there are bad areas everywhere. I lived in NYC for almost ten years. But I'd like to live in a neighborhood that is relatively safe so that I don't have to worry AS MUCH about my kids when they go outside to play. I realize that even in the nicest areas bad things happen, but there are places you can choose to live where they are less likely to happen. Anyways, I'm looking into some of the gated communities a little further from the school. Not happy about having to move and still commute, but I'm guessing it will be preferable to having my kids go stir crazy while I'm busy studying.
all of the towns mentioned in this post should be fine. however, i know that cherry hill can get pricey (although i'm not too sure about the other towns). have you looked into philadelphia at all? or is that not an option..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jerzeegirl

New

Post by Jerzeegirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 pm

kissy wrote:
Jerzeegirl wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

all of the towns mentioned in this post should be fine. however, i know that cherry hill can get pricey (although i'm not too sure about the other towns). have you looked into philadelphia at all? or is that not an option..
I haven't crossed state lines yet :lol: I didn't even think of it, to be honest. I don't know Philly at all, so I wouldn't know where to start looking. Cherry Hill is very pricey but the gated communities have tons of amenities. I figure what I'll spend to have basketball courts and a playground practically in my backyard will save tons on trips to the mall/movies/etc. I won't have to look for ways to keep the kids busy. I don't like using the TV as a babysitter, so the more there is to do for them, the easier it will be for me to study. If you know any place in Philly worth checking out, please post. It doesn't have to be high end, just safe and family-friendly (preferably not an area with a tons of bars/clubs/etc).

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:53 pm

If you have kids, you're best off in the 'burbs rather than Philly. I echo the Cherry Hill sentiments even though it's expensive.

If I go (which I may; need one more visit down there to make up my mind since I did a 2nd Newark visit), I want to live in the Victor lofts, but I plan to find a law student roommate.

Jerzeegirl

New

Post by Jerzeegirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 am

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

I already sent in my seat deposit for Camden. Was waitlisted at Newark. I will be very happy at Camden but my family will be nowhere nearby and the difference in childcare costs (from not having family nearby) will amount to nearly 10k a year. Over three years, it will really add up. I'm considering sending an LOCI to Newark, but I'm wondering if this unethical (since I already mailed a deposit) or will somehow risk my place at Camden. I love Camden but I have to admit I'm stressed about being so far away from my support system. I'd really appreciate any advice/input.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:31 am

Jerzeegirl wrote:ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

I already sent in my seat deposit for Camden. Was waitlisted at Newark. I will be very happy at Camden but my family will be nowhere nearby and the difference in childcare costs (from not having family nearby) will amount to nearly 10k a year. Over three years, it will really add up. I'm considering sending an LOCI to Newark, but I'm wondering if this unethical (since I already mailed a deposit) or will somehow risk my place at Camden. I love Camden but I have to admit I'm stressed about being so far away from my support system. I'd really appreciate any advice/input.

No its fine...Im doing the same for some WL schools. The fact that they both have the name Rutgers shouldnt matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ESQuisite

New

Post by ESQuisite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 am

still waiting for a decision >>>>> WTF??? ....should I assume bad news?...anyone else in the same boat?

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 am

wait a couple of weeks.

florida12

New

Post by florida12 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

ESQuisite wrote:still waiting for a decision >>>>> WTF??? ....should I assume bad news?...anyone else in the same boat?
called them yesterday, told me I was WL over the phone and letters should be going out this week, just call them at this point

karlieann

New

Post by karlieann » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Congrats to all who have been admitted!

I was waitlisted today for the Fall 2010 entering class.

Does anyone have experience with being waitlisted specifically at Camden? I'm wondering how many waitlisters are actaully granted a spot in the entering class. I'm guessing it varies per year, depending on the variables, but really I have no idea as to what my chances actually are.

I've never been through this process and could really use any advice and/or pointers as to the best practices for increasing my likelihood of acceptance.

Thank you everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

karlieann

New

Post by karlieann » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Bueller...? 8)

maxpep378

New

Post by maxpep378 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:28 pm

I also received an email today informing me that I am "waitlisted" for fall 2010. This is better than a reject, but what can I do to turn this into an "acceptance"?

karlieann

New

Post by karlieann » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm not sure it IS better than a reject...now I have to keep stressing about it. :?

maxpep378

New

Post by maxpep378 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 pm

karlieann wrote:I'm not sure it IS better than a reject...now I have to keep stressing about it. :?
Right!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 am

March:
Hi XXXXXXXXXXX!

Congratulations. I am delighted to advise you that you have been admitted for the Fall of 2010 to Rutgers School of Law at Camden. The Committee and the Deans at the Law School were very, very impressed with your outstanding personal statement. We believe that your outstanding background will make you an integral part of our Rutgers Law community.

As you are aware, Rutgers is one of the oldest and largest public institutions of higher learning in the nation. Our law school is proud to continue this academic tradition of excellence and is proud to be home to many of the nations' leading legal scholars. You will receive your formal letter of admission and packet of information in the mail within the next 5-7 business days. I am also sending you a Rutgers Law T-Shirt. Enjoy!

I am also delighted to be able to inform you that based upon your outstanding academic record and personal statement, you have been selected as a Justicia est Fides in Lex Scholar at Rutgers School of Law-Camden for the 2010-2011 academic year. This award is funded by the law school, and is designed to support the educational expenses of a full-time entering student whose previous scholastic record and life experiences demonstrate a high potential for success in the law.

Your award carries a $5,000 stipend that will be applied directly against your tuition and fees. You will be eligible for reappointment as a Justicia est Fides in Lex Scholar in the amount of $5,000 during your second and third years at Rutgers-Camden, contingent upon your maintaining full-time status and an overall academic average of a 3.3 or better during your first two semesters of study at Rutgers, and for each semester thereafter. The total financial support you will be eligible to receive under this program is $15,000.

The Law School is committed to high academic scholarship and community service. The adoption of the academic scholarship program at the Law School is designed to serve these two important missions by affording top law students the financial opportunity to spend at least one semester complementing their legal studies by participating in one of our Law School's many pro bono projects, legal clinics or externships. Service opportunities include the Domestic Violence Pro Bono Project or Clinic, the Rutgers Camden-LEAP Academy Legal Referral Pro Bono Project, the Bankruptcy Pro Bono Project, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Pro Bono Project, the Immigration Pro Bono Project, the Street Law Pro Bono Project, the Children=s Justice Clinic, one of the many other pro bono projects or clinics, or any number of exciting externships at government and local agencies. As part of a bold legal community service initiative, Rutgers Law School at Camden is the recipient of federal funds that help support prestigious scholarships, such as yours, for top law students across our nation. Receipt of this prestigious scholarship award carries with it a commitment to, prior to graduation, either successfully complete one of the law school=s externships or clinical courses or devote at least 40 hours to one of the pro bono projects or a pre-approved outside pro bono placement. It is our hope, and our nation=s hope, that as a scholarship student you will benefit from this experience and, as a successful lawyer, integrate the pro bono ethic and community service into your careers and lives.

Please send me confirmation of your acceptance of this award by April 15, 2010. I should emphasize that for our incoming students this scholarship award is one of the highest recognitions of academic achievement. Only the top quartile of all applicants are eligible to receive these prestigious scholarships each year. The choice was not easy; many notably accomplished students were considered.

We also hope that you will join us on Saturday, March 27, 2010 for our Dean's Law Day at the campus. More than 300 students and family members joined us last year for this outstanding event. A panel of recent successful alumni will be present, a mock first year law class will be conducted, a visit to the new federal courthouse (adjacent to our campus) where Congressman Rob Andrews will speak to you, a sit-down luncheon with deans, faculty and students, tours, housing, financial aid, and a student law organization fair will be presented. I encourage you to attend the program. Family and friends are welcome, please look for your invitation in the mail in March.

If you are interested in speaking with a faculty member about a particular area of the law, career services, a student or alumni located in your part of the nation, or would like to attend a class or tour the law school, please contact our office at (800)466-7561.

As a 1986 graduate of the Law School and a former partner at a major Philadelphia firm, if you have any questions concerning the law school, housing or your legal career, please feel free to contact me at 800/466-7561 or by e-mail at csa@camlaw.rutgers.edu. I offer my personal congratulations on your admission and look forward to seeing you among the class that enters Rutgers School of Law in the Fall of 2010.

Sincerely,
Camille S. Andrews

Associate Dean of Enrollment
April:
Dear XXXXXXXXXXXX,

The Admissions Committee at Rutgers Law School at Camden has completed its review of your application. Each year we have seen an increase in the volume of highly competitive applicants for the 150 full-time and 80 part-time day and evening spaces available for our entering class. The Committee was impressed with many aspects of your application, and we believe you have both the desire and many of the qualities necessary to succeed in law school. Although we struggled over this decision, particularly in light of your outstanding personal statement, unfortunately, given our small class size, we are unable to offer you admission.

We hope that your interest in attending Rutgers Law School continues, and should you desire to attend our Law School next year, I would encourage you to reapply and contact Ms. Rubert or our office for counseling. Another option some students consider is transferring to our law school after completing one year at another ABA accredited law school. Our Law School accepts up to 50 transfer students each year. Many of the students who transfer to our Law School go on to graduate with honors and high honors, and they also compete for membership on our Law Journals.

If we can provide any further assistance to you on your plan to attend law school, please feel free to e-mail Nancy Rubert at rubert@camlaw.rutgers.edu. Please keep in touch. We wish you every success as you pursue a career in law.

Very truly yours,
Camille S. Andrews

Assoc. Dean of Enrollment

Rutgers Law School
5th and Penn Sts
Camden, NJ 08102
csa@camlaw.rutgers.edu

LOL???

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

You got accepted and then rejected? Did you try calling to see WTF? Or did something happen between March and April that could have caused your acceptance to be revoked?

ETA: Looking at your LSN, it looks like you Withdrew, so maybe it was a strange mistake.

karlieann

New

Post by karlieann » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:35 am

[quote="Panther7"]March:
[quote]Hi XXXXXXXXXXX!

Congratulations. I am delighted to advise you that you have been admitted for the Fall of 2010 to Rutgers School of Law at Camden. The Committee and the Deans at the Law School were very, very impressed with your outstanding personal statement. We believe that your outstanding background will make you an integral part of our Rutgers Law community.

Either Rutgers is exceptionally impressed with many 'outstanding' personal statements, or that's their go-to phrase. Your the fourth person I've heard of who got the same line (myself included, only via Waitlist).

Queenjane87

New

Post by Queenjane87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 am

karlieann wrote:
Panther7 wrote:March:
Hi XXXXXXXXXXX!

Either Rutgers is exceptionally impressed with many 'outstanding' personal statements, or that's their go-to phrase. Your the fourth person I've heard of who got the same line (myself included, only via Waitlist).
So you got in? That was a quick turn around. Congrats & welcome!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 am

Queenjane87 wrote:
karlieann wrote:
Panther7 wrote:March:
Hi XXXXXXXXXXX!

So you got in? That was a quick turn around. Congrats & welcome!

She was quoting the guy above that somehow got accepted and dinged.

Queenjane87

New

Post by Queenjane87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am

Opps. Should have read that more closeyl. Sorry :-(

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:51 am

Good luck to everyone! I really hope to see you there with all of us this Fall. I think we are going to be a really close knit group!!!

ESQuisite

New

Post by ESQuisite » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:06 pm

I ended up getting my WL notice on last Thursday. I am in such a horrible position being waitlisted at 3 schools, both Rutgers in which I really want to attend!! Is it a good idea to send both of them an LOCI and an addendem explaining my low LSAT scores? Please please please HELP!! There's literally nothing in this world I am meant to do but be an attorney!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”