Marquette 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Panther7

Bronze

Re: Marquette 2013

Post by Panther7 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:56 pm

roguey wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:$27K/year in the mailbox yesterday.
Congratulations!!!!! That's an awesome offer. When did you get the complete/in review email? Did you get any other communication after that?
yes when? i need to be getting close to a decision from them...

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 pm

in via mail today!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:32 pm

I am stillllllllllllllllllllll . . . . . . . . . . . waiting to get off the wait list. :roll:

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm

In today via snail mail!!! This was my top choice, but I surprisingly also got into a Top 30 school... Decisions, decisions.... Congrats everyone!!!

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I withdrew today; I hope my place and scholarship can help one of you.

Good luck, everyone!
Very much appreciated Nightrunner, Marquette is waiting on my Feb. Scores and I'd love to get in. My sister and her family lives in Milwaukee, and I've got pretty good job prospects already in that area. Marquette (assuming University of Washington Denies me) is my top choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:39 am

Got in via snail mail yesterday! I wish I could update my LSN, but there is currently a "problem with sessions." Whenever this happens I'm locked out of the account for at least a week if not longer, grrrr.... NightRunner, how long after the admit mail did you get the scholly mail?

mcm1211

New

Post by mcm1211 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Wait Listed today via snail mail. Surprising since my numbers (3.5, 160) are solidly in the green on LSN and I was offered money at similarly ranked schools such as Loyola Chi, Depaul and Santa Clara. They must have been turned off by some of my negative "soft factors."

The question is, do people accepted off the wait list often/ever receive merit scholarships? I was fairly interested in Marquette, but certainly not at sticker compared to my other offers. What do you think?

big_tuna

New

Post by big_tuna » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 pm

4k renewable scholarship in the mail. it seems silly that you have to accept the scholarship offer (by 4/1) before the deadline to acknowledge your acceptance (4/15)....that's life though.

dhuen21

New

Post by dhuen21 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:36 am

Did you get the scholarship information after you recieved the folder or at the same time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Ok... I just got the folder... before I go all fangirl on Marquette, can you guys tell me if every cover letter says the following:

"Each year, the Admissions Committee is notably impressed by a relatively small number of admissions essays. I am pleased to let you know that we particularly enjoyed reading your personal statement. Your skillful and accomplished writing will serve you well in law school."

I'm wondering if they were just trying to butter me up or if they are serious, lol.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 am

roguey wrote:Ok... I just got the folder... before I go all fangirl on Marquette, can you guys tell me if every cover letter says the following:

"Each year, the Admissions Committee is notably impressed by a relatively small number of admissions essays. I am pleased to let you know that we particularly enjoyed reading your personal statement. Your skillful and accomplished writing will serve you well in law school."

I'm wondering if they were just trying to butter me up or if they are serious, lol.
they didn't write that on mine, and i'm a very good writer. i think you have every right to feel very proud. good job.

irish017

Bronze

Post by irish017 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Does anyone know if Marquette provides a travel stipend for admitted students to visit the school?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:14 pm

In with a scholarship a little bit ago...

how does everyone feel about Milwaukee? It's kind of a dead city...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jasonac21

New

Post by jasonac21 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:04 pm

BruceBarr wrote:In with a scholarship a little bit ago...

how does everyone feel about Milwaukee? It's kind of a dead city...
I went to undergrad in Milwaukee and loved the city. I definitely wouldn't call it booming, but there is more than enough to do. It's a city in transition that, I think, could be a decent hub if the elected officials don't screw it up. If you have any specific questions let me know, I'll do my best to answer them.

PS... I'll probably end up at Marquette.

Anyone going to the open house on the 27th?

hibachi7_7_7

New

Post by hibachi7_7_7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 pm

irish017 wrote:Does anyone know if Marquette provides a travel stipend for admitted students to visit the school?
They'll pay you back up to $250 on the price of your plane ticket but you actually have to attend the school and you have to fly into the Milwaukee airport.

PS. It's looking more and more like I'll be attending Marquette in the fall so I'll be going to the open house on the 27th

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:34 pm

jasonac21 wrote: Anyone going to the open house on the 27th?
yeah, i'll be driving down.

would be nice if i had scholly info by then :(

freeskier

New

Post by freeskier » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Does anyone know if accepting the scholarship is binding, as in you have to rescind all your other applications? I'm thinking about selecting Marquette as my back-up plan to my top two choices that I got wait listed at, but would not if accepting the scholarship was binding.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:10 pm

BruceBarr wrote:In with a scholarship a little bit ago...
So did your scholly info come with your acceptance? I got in but there was not information about scholarships...not one of my top choices, but I would definitely consider it with some aid...but am guessing from your quote above that it would have come with my acceptance packet.

freeskier

New

Post by freeskier » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:37 pm

I got mine a couple of days after the acceptance package in a letter.

lawcycle2010

New

Post by lawcycle2010 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 pm

i think i'll be attending Marquette in the fall...looking into apartments around campus.

Anyone know where a lot of law students live?

alycat

New

Post by alycat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:50 am

I am going to MU law in the fall too. I'm from Wisconsin and know a lot of people who went there or UWM for undergrad so I'm talking to people now to figure out where the best place is to live. I think you'll find there are a lot of options. A lot of people live right around campus or downtown, which is more pricey, but if you don't have a car it will mean it is easy and quick to get to campus. Otherwise, some people live on the east side (near UWM) or west of Marquette in West Allis or Wauwatosa. Marquette offers student parking to people who commute in for around $500/year, or if you live in the city I think the public transportation is pretty efficient.

Are you going to the admitted students open house this weekend? I'm hoping they provide more information about housing then because I feel like I need to start looking soon. Anyway, good luck to you and maybe see you next weekend/next fall!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawcycle2010

New

Post by lawcycle2010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 am

alycat wrote:I am going to MU law in the fall too. I'm from Wisconsin and know a lot of people who went there or UWM for undergrad so I'm talking to people now to figure out where the best place is to live. I think you'll find there are a lot of options. A lot of people live right around campus or downtown, which is more pricey, but if you don't have a car it will mean it is easy and quick to get to campus. Otherwise, some people live on the east side (near UWM) or west of Marquette in West Allis or Wauwatosa. Marquette offers student parking to people who commute in for around $500/year, or if you live in the city I think the public transportation is pretty efficient.

Are you going to the admitted students open house this weekend? I'm hoping they provide more information about housing then because I feel like I need to start looking soon. Anyway, good luck to you and maybe see you next weekend/next fall!
Great info, although I will have a car I want to live within walking distance to the law school, so i'm trying to figure out what building has a high consintration of law students around there.

I will not be able to attend the admitted students day because I'll be in Canada but i'd love to hear feedback on anything!!

I'm still trying to decided between Villanova and Marquette, but everyday Marquette looks better and better.

Let me know what you find out and what the other kids are like!

OnWisconsin

Bronze

Post by OnWisconsin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 am

lawcycle2010 wrote:
alycat wrote:I am going to MU law in the fall too. I'm from Wisconsin and know a lot of people who went there or UWM for undergrad so I'm talking to people now to figure out where the best place is to live. I think you'll find there are a lot of options. A lot of people live right around campus or downtown, which is more pricey, but if you don't have a car it will mean it is easy and quick to get to campus. Otherwise, some people live on the east side (near UWM) or west of Marquette in West Allis or Wauwatosa. Marquette offers student parking to people who commute in for around $500/year, or if you live in the city I think the public transportation is pretty efficient.

Great info, although I will have a car I want to live within walking distance to the law school, so i'm trying to figure out what building has a high consintration of law students around there.

I will not be able to attend the admitted students day because I'll be in Canada but i'd love to hear feedback on anything!!

I'm still trying to decided between Villanova and Marquette, but everyday Marquette looks better and better.

Let me know what you find out and what the other kids are like!

Congrats to all who are in, I'm still lingering on the waitlist :? Hopefully they activiate it but who knows.
Only thing that I will tell you is that "walking distance" is going to be a hard sell with Marquette. The few options right around the campus are pretty much filled with UG's which is fine if you don't mind a little more noise and partying. The rest of the area directly around the school is rough to say the least. Realistically northeast side (Look around Brady steet and off Maryland) or somewhere in the 5th ward/ Walkers point are little more realistic. You would have to take public transit or drive but thats going to be a much better deal for you. Hope it helps!

jmesp

New

Post by jmesp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 pm

I'll be at the open house this weekend as well. Anybody wanna meet up for a beer?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:16 am

I can't do Milwaukee.... I just can't. Withdrawing everyone... enjoy my seat and scholarship! Good luck to all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”