International/Currently Abroad "IWantMyDecision!" Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
parker09

Bronze

Re: International/Currently Abroad "IWantMyDecision!" Thread

Post by parker09 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 am

bluedolphins wrote:
parker09 wrote: Box too! Mailed 2/12... might have gotten it last week (I was out of town, so unsure). It cost them $46.50 to mail this beautiful thing, in a semi-timely manner. I'm really really impressed... they're definitely winning me over...

Also, Duke scholly mailed 2/9 finally arrived possibly last week, too. $60k meh... not enough to tear me from Mich/CLS.
Where are you based? It cost about $46 for Columbia to send its big box to me too but I still haven't received the Duke Scholly letter. My status checker says it was mailed on Feb 18 and I am in Asia.
Southern Africa. So things take from 3-10 weeks... I remember the Duke admit packet took ages for me too, even though it and the scholly letter are air mail, which... is the fastest way (versus like a boat or something)? If your timing follows mine, you should get it this week or the next, hopefully!

I don't know how Columbia is sending their stuff, but I have been very very impressed with how all of it has gotten to me within two weeksish.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 am

parker09 wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
parker09 wrote: Box too! Mailed 2/12... might have gotten it last week (I was out of town, so unsure). It cost them $46.50 to mail this beautiful thing, in a semi-timely manner. I'm really really impressed... they're definitely winning me over...

Also, Duke scholly mailed 2/9 finally arrived possibly last week, too. $60k meh... not enough to tear me from Mich/CLS.
Where are you based? It cost about $46 for Columbia to send its big box to me too but I still haven't received the Duke Scholly letter. My status checker says it was mailed on Feb 18 and I am in Asia.
Southern Africa. So things take from 3-10 weeks... I remember the Duke admit packet took ages for me too, even though it and the scholly letter are air mail, which... is the fastest way (versus like a boat or something)? If your timing follows mine, you should get it this week or the next, hopefully!

I don't know how Columbia is sending their stuff, but I have been very very impressed with how all of it has gotten to me within two weeksish.
Thanks for the info. Duke's acceptance letter got lost in the mail the first time so I am slightly worried about the scholly letter. Hopefully it will arrive. I am considering emailing them soon if it still doesn't arrive.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:02 am

bluedolphins wrote: Thanks for the info. Duke's acceptance letter got lost in the mail the first time so I am slightly worried about the scholly letter. Hopefully it will arrive. I am considering emailing them soon if it still doesn't arrive.
This might be better for a PM as it'll prob out me to Dean Hoye, but just in case anyone else had the same concern: So I was worried too, and emailed Dean Hoye about whether I could get the letter electronically. He sent a really nice reply saying that he would check in with the financial aid committee and ask them if they could send it to me via email. This was a week and a half ago, though, and I hadn't gotten anything... so not sure what happened there, but it sounds like they are definitely up for sending it to you if you ask nicely.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:11 am

Man I want to go to Michigan's ASW, but it would cost WAYYYY too much, plus time off from work that I don't really want to take.

Also, scrolling through this thread we all seem do be having quite good cycles! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 am

So I'm pretty sure the only schools I'm waiting to hear back from all notify via snail mail. Infuriating. Especially since I can only check my mail twice/week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 am

Holly Golightly wrote:So I'm pretty sure the only schools I'm waiting to hear back from all notify via snail mail. Infuriating. Especially since I can only check my mail twice/week.
Some guy in my office checks the whole office's mail (it's a PO Box somewhere not-in-our-building), and sometimes he doesn't go... It's always so sad when he walks in with a bunch of big envelopes... and none of them are for me. So I totes understand.

On another note: Vandy scholly today, snail mailed. Letter dated 2/24, postmarked 2/26.

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:25 pm

In at Notre Dame today via email. 22k/year scholarship also in the email.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh the international mail trickle. On the up side, I get sixteen fliers a day from pizza/fried chicken places. I'm concerned about fast food places that diversify though- I feel like they need to pick one and stick with it.

Congrats on the Duke schollys and admits, everyone! Have to admit I'm kind of going insane reading about it since they have yet to render a decision on me (UR 1/29). Props go to Michigan for sending their admit pack rull fast via UPS.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Michigan scholly letter dated JANUARY TWELFTH. Just got it today.

Mich was so good about couriering their admit packet... but everything after that has taken forever. Housing packet took 10 weeks. Ack. I know there's a curriculum brochure on the way, but who knows how long that'll take...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zara

Bronze

Post by Zara » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:32 pm

wl at berkeley via email.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm

parker09 wrote:Michigan scholly letter dated JANUARY TWELFTH. Just got it today.

Mich was so good about couriering their admit packet... but everything after that has taken forever. Housing packet took 10 weeks. Ack. I know there's a curriculum brochure on the way, but who knows how long that'll take...
Parker, when was your admit? Trying to figure out admit to scholly timeline.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 am

roundabout wrote: Parker, when was your admit? Trying to figure out admit to scholly timeline.
I was admitted in November, but I don't think they were doing scholarships then-- I think the first "round" (non-Darrow) came out probably around January. By now, just from what I'm hearing from the Michigan thread, I think it'll be a couple/few weeks after your acceptance. Also, it may show up on the Admitted Students Site under Mail and Money --> Financial Aid Communications, but unsure if there's a lag there too...

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am

parker09 wrote:
roundabout wrote: Parker, when was your admit? Trying to figure out admit to scholly timeline.
I was admitted in November, but I don't think they were doing scholarships then-- I think the first "round" (non-Darrow) came out probably around January. By now, just from what I'm hearing from the Michigan thread, I think it'll be a couple/few weeks after your acceptance. Also, it may show up on the Admitted Students Site under Mail and Money --> Financial Aid Communications, but unsure if there's a lag there too...
I thought that section was just for need-based, since those decisions come from fin aid and merit decisions come from admissions? I have my need-based loans already in there, but I was keeping an eye on the admissions decisions for merit- maybe I've just been passed up. Wouldn't be a huge shock.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 342848386278 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:56 am

$60k at BU via snailmail :D ! It Looks like my top choice for now, 'cause UCLA at out of state sticker seems like suicide and despite an insanely generous scholly I'm warry of WUSTL's placement outside the midwest and atlantic. That said though, still keeping my fingers crossed for the the aps I'm yet to hear from (Dear Penn, I love you please marry me)...

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Got an email titled "Info. for Admitted Students" from UCLA just now. Going to guess this means I'm in, even though it's the first I've heard of it?

Unless someone else has a counter-story (or the email was sent to me by mistake), I'm going to conclude that UCLA does not make international calls.

Bronze

Post by 342848386278 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:11 pm

parker09 wrote:Got an email titled "Info. for Admitted Students" from UCLA just now. Going to guess this means I'm in, even though it's the first I've heard of it?

Unless someone else has a counter-story (or the email was sent to me by mistake), I'm going to conclude that UCLA does not make international calls.
This is how I was notified of my UCLA admission too - got a snailmail packet with a somewhat comical DVD video about two weeks later. Congrats!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Still waiting on dings from two schools where I'm an auto-reject, 1 decision from a school I don't care about, and Cornell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Still waiting on dings from two schools where I'm an auto-reject, 1 decision from a school I don't care about, and Cornell.
+1, -Cornell. Even though I know what the decisions will be, it's driving me crazy not to know.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 am

pretty sure this thread is dead, but: got the georgetown box (a really really nice fake-leather embossed zip folder-thing with a booklet and notepad inside) today. nowhere does it say when it was mailed, but given that i was accepted way long ago (oct/nov), it's pretty late as far as admit packets go.

...too bad i withdrew yesterday. doubt this would have changed my mind, but having a little more info couldn't have hurt.

also: anyone get cls financial aid yet? wonder if they'll email it to us like they did with the decisions...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am

My cycle is effectively over, and I'm moving back to the states soon/trying to have schools start sending my mail to my mom's house. It's weird. :)

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 am

parker09 wrote:pretty sure this thread is dead, but: got the georgetown box (a really really nice fake-leather embossed zip folder-thing with a booklet and notepad inside) today. nowhere does it say when it was mailed, but given that i was accepted way long ago (oct/nov), it's pretty late as far as admit packets go.

...too bad i withdrew yesterday. doubt this would have changed my mind, but having a little more info couldn't have hurt.

also: anyone get cls financial aid yet? wonder if they'll email it to us like they did with the decisions...
When I visited, in March, I had asked them about this. The financial aid office asked me to email them with a request to send the award determination via e-mail. I did that but haven't received anything as yet, so dunno if it helped.

I did withdraw from CLS and NYU in the past two weeks, and have confirmed my enrollment at Michigan. So my cycle is finally officially over!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:17 am

ankit wrote:
parker09 wrote: also: anyone get cls financial aid yet? wonder if they'll email it to us like they did with the decisions...
When I visited, in March, I had asked them about this. The financial aid office asked me to email them with a request to send the award determination via e-mail. I did that but haven't received anything as yet, so dunno if it helped.
That does help -- I'll email them, thanks!

Also: congrats to Holly and ankit on being done with your cycles! Must be an awesome feeling to know where you'll be the next three years!

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 am

Also Mich scholly letter took about 4 weeks to get to me. Not too bad, and since I knew it was coming it wasn't a big surprise.

Moba

New

Post by Moba » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 pm

So guys i'm curious to know where everyone is heading. After a excruciating winter, i ended up being accepted at NYU, CLS, Penn, Cornell and HLS WL. After much consideration regarding financial options, I have decided I'm enrolling at Penn. Just sent in my tuition deposit.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:30 pm

My tuition deposit at Northwestern has been received! It was hard to choose between them and Georgetown, though.

...and I never actually heard back from NYU. lol

Back to the states in less than a week!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”