Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wizoz

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by wizoz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
wizoz wrote:Also, can any1 comment on when MSP meetings occur? I am just not sure how it factors in my schedule.

Thanks!
You won't know until a few weeks into school. The school doesn't make the MSP schedule, that's up to the individual MSP groups to determine when they will meet with their groups. I think for every class you have 2 meetings per week. It's on an alternating schedule. For example one week you may have your contracts and torts meeting the next week you will have property and contracts. I think each meeting is 1 hour. So every break you have between classes you can expect to fit in an MSP meeting. There is also an LRW TA class that ALL 1Ls have that is not put on the schedule. Every week you will meet with your LRW TA for about an hour. It'll be a different time than your regularly scheduled LRW class. So expect to be BUSY
OMG...just when I thought I had good breaks in my day...you tell me about this LRW TA session! Sigh, I agree with Eric..with MSP..this is a bit much.

Can anyone comment on parking for commuters? Is there a big difference btwn purchasing the deck permit or the surface lot permit? Thanks

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:47 pm

has any1 come across the room assignments for our classes? It likely isn't posted yet but I'm also not so sure where to look for it.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:50 pm

wizoz wrote:has any1 come across the room assignments for our classes? It likely isn't posted yet but I'm also not so sure where to look for it.
There is a spot for "location" on the Schedule section of the Academics tab of the myRutgers portal, but it isn't populated yet.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:35 pm

badpixie wrote:
wizoz wrote:has any1 come across the room assignments for our classes? It likely isn't posted yet but I'm also not so sure where to look for it.
There is a spot for "location" on the Schedule section of the Academics tab of the myRutgers portal, but it isn't populated yet.
Thank youuuuu!

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Just a word of warning to you all: Anyone looking to rent in Ironbound, DO NOT rent from Andrea Caamano or anyone in that family. Once they have your money they stop returning phone calls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romi46

New

Post by romi46 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 am

Hey everyone! I'm in track VII. Anyone else?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am

Has anyone who has Hyde for Contracts purchased books yet?

There are 2 items listed on the RU bookstore for this class, one "Required" at $72.00 ("Vol. 1 Looseleaf") and the other "Package Component" at $120 (Vol. 1 Intro.). The note on the bookstore page states "Titles that are designated as "Package Component" are components of a required package used for your course. If you would like to purchase the entire package, please select it. If however, you plan on using only pieces of the package, some or all may be available individually. If you purchase only package components, you may save money if used copies are available. Be careful you don’t buy both."

I read the note as saying that the "package component" is one part of a required package, but at that price, it doesn't make sense that it would be a part of the Looseleaf item that is listed as "Required." If it is a separate item, I would have expected it to be noted as either "Required" or "Recommended."

What am I missing here?

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Does anyone know the hours of the gym? I want to start going after class. But when I called they said they close at 9:30pm, which seems early. The person I spoke to seems unsure, so that's why I'm asking.

Also anyone on here in the MSP evening program? If so, see you tonight!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 pm

badpixie wrote:Has anyone who has Hyde for Contracts purchased books yet?

There are 2 items listed on the RU bookstore for this class, one "Required" at $72.00 ("Vol. 1 Looseleaf") and the other "Package Component" at $120 (Vol. 1 Intro.). The note on the bookstore page states "Titles that are designated as "Package Component" are components of a required package used for your course. If you would like to purchase the entire package, please select it. If however, you plan on using only pieces of the package, some or all may be available individually. If you purchase only package components, you may save money if used copies are available. Be careful you don’t buy both."

I read the note as saying that the "package component" is one part of a required package, but at that price, it doesn't make sense that it would be a part of the Looseleaf item that is listed as "Required." If it is a separate item, I would have expected it to be noted as either "Required" or "Recommended."

What am I missing here?
law books are fucking expensive. so don't be surprise if the prices don't make sense. Fro Contract, you usually get two books, a casebook and the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). You can always e-mail the professor to confirm the books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:10 am

Also curious about the gym. Do students have free access to it? Or how much is it?

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:47 am

beast510 wrote:Also curious about the gym. Do students have free access to it? Or how much is it?
I heard 25 bucks a year...don't quote me on that though

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:37 pm

1. The gym may close early because it's still summer. I think it's open much later during the school year. Once you pay your term bill the gym is included. Note: it gets really crowded around 3:30/4:00 just as everyone else at Rutgers is ending the day

2. Your classroom numbers most likely won't be posted before school starts. Sometimes you won't know where to go until you get to the first day. There's a TV monitor over the main desk when you enter and you should be able to find the meeting location for any classes. There's also a printed schedule taped to the same desk so you can find your classes. They may often times have large signs that point to your classes.

3. The parking passes are a flat rate for commuters. You can either pay per semester or pay for the year. It doesn't matter what deck (I or II) and it does not guarantee you a spot. If you plan to park in the deck directly behind the law school the first 3-4 levels are reserved for cops, carpool vans, and on-campus students. So you will only be able to park at level 4 and above. And you have to get there early! For the deck on Washington there are no assigned or reserved spots in the entire lot so you can park in the very first spot on the first level. It's usually really easy parking until noon.

4. As far as the first year being busy that's definitely and understatement. The hardest part is the stuff they don't schedule. LRW is really the class that's going to make your year miserable. Just as you're getting the hang of the first year you have all these LRW assignments due that take up all of your time. If you typically spend 10-12 hours/day in the school during LRW assignment times you will spend 15-20 hrs/day. It's kind of hectic. Personally, I think they do it on purpose. They could tell you about it and put it in your schedule. But no... they just surprise you with it about a month in.

5. If you're in MSP there are some rules to the program and I'm sure you've been told what they are and how it works. You should talk to 2Ls and 3Ls from MSP and ask how to manage the schedule. Just remember you're not the first person to go through it. Everyone is busy.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Is anybody else living in University Square? - do you guys know when/how we go about moving in? I've gotten my room assignment but nothing about moving in so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Friends of mine at MSP will tell you that you can't move into University Square or the other dorms UNTIL you go to Blumenthal and get your ID. Once you get your ID, they'll give you your keys to the room. I'm not living on campus but some people at the MSP right now are living in U Sq and well they told me/I overheard.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 pm

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:24 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/choosing ... in-ny.html

guess we fucked up.
Why do you say that? That article is just about schools in NY.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 am

Hey so I just received my book list, but there are no books for LRW? Is this normal? I'm in track VII, btw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:53 pm

kasparov wrote:Hey so I just received my book list, but there are no books for LRW? Is this normal? I'm in track VII, btw.
Did you recieve an actual booklist that was sent by the school? I put my list together using the bookstore website, and there were 4 books listed for LRW (Trac IV, Sec. 11).

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 pm

kasparov wrote:Hey so I just received my book list, but there are no books for LRW? Is this normal? I'm in track VII, btw.
There doesn't seem to be a book list for LRW classes (at least not for mine (1)), however I was able to find that information on blackboard under assignments through my LRW course link.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 pm

badpixie wrote:
Did you recieve an actual booklist that was sent by the school? I put my list together using the bookstore website, and there were 4 books listed for LRW (Trac IV, Sec. 11).
Yep. I got my from Anita via email. I found my LRW (Section 2) books via MyRutgers. Lawbooksforless.com actually has all of the books required and recommended per professor, per school (except for LRW.....which was NOT included on the list Anita emailed me). So after I ordered all my books, I have yet to spend another 200 on LRW. Damnit.

I am still dealing w/ that damn immunization form, has anyone received any sort of homework yet?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

kasparov wrote: I am still dealing w/ that damn immunization form, has anyone received any sort of homework yet?
A couple of my my professors have posted assignments on Blackboard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Is anyone else missing courses on blackboard? I'm still missing Francione's and Bell's courses. Courses for Troutt, Tractenberg, and Bitterman are all posted - for me at least. Anyone else in section 7 getting the same result?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Deevo wrote:Is anyone else missing courses on blackboard? I'm still missing Francione's and Bell's courses. Courses for Troutt, Tractenberg, and Bitterman are all posted - for me at least. Anyone else in section 7 getting the same result?
I'm also showing 3 out of 5 courses on Blackboard. (Section IV: Deutsch, Thomas & Nardone)

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

badpixie wrote:
Deevo wrote:Is anyone else missing courses on blackboard? I'm still missing Francione's and Bell's courses. Courses for Troutt, Tractenberg, and Bitterman are all posted - for me at least. Anyone else in section 7 getting the same result?
I'm also showing 3 out of 5 courses on Blackboard. (Section IV: Deutsch, Thomas & Nardone)
Courses WILL NOT show up on Blackboard until the professor 'activates' the course. Some professors are incredibly lazy about this. Don't worry about it. They might do it 2 days before class starts but they WILL do it.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Deevo wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a book list for LRW classes (at least not for mine (1)), however I was able to find that information on blackboard under assignments through my LRW course link.
We had 4 books for LRW which you will use over 2 semesters. All are moderatly helpful to some degree. The Bluebook will be your citation bible. I even used my Bluebook at my summer internship. The 3 other books I used for the course, then forgot about. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”