IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
andreea7

Bronze

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Post by andreea7 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Alyssa wrote:Does anyone know if we get to keep our UNI's from undergrad if we went to Columbia and have been out for a year or two?

I'm not in the directory yet. Any CC grads receive information on their new UNI's?
I have the same one and the same password as I did before

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 pm

posting here too because, well, these columbia threads are slow:
Loan applications are due May 15. Filled out the FAFSA thing online a few months back but haven't heard anything. Apparently you need to also fill out a loan form for the Stafford and submit it to Columbia but when I asked Columbia they just said that they are transitioning to direct loan program but didn't explain if this meant I did or did not have to fill out any additional forms beyond NeedAccess and FAFSA before may 15th to be eligible for a stafford. Does anyone have any idea?

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 pm

I received my UAH housing assignment today. $950 per month in a three bedroom, two blocks from the law school. However, Columbia wants $1900 (first month's rent + security deposit) by Monday. I have no money to do this. I don't think we can take out loans this early on. Anyone have any advice on what to do?

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Wed May 12, 2010 7:08 pm

It says you can pay with credit card. Use the one with the lowest APR! :lol:

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Wed May 12, 2010 8:17 pm

groundkontrol wrote:I received my UAH housing assignment today. $950 per month in a three bedroom, two blocks from the law school. However, Columbia wants $1900 (first month's rent + security deposit) by Monday. I have no money to do this. I don't think we can take out loans this early on. Anyone have any advice on what to do?
I am still waiting for my assignment, but I think I will have to pay something similar if I get the housing I requested. it's unbelievably irritating that they give you such a short window to make your decision and that there's no way to use your loan money to pay for it. I don't really have 2000 bucks lying around that I can just throw down on some deposit, but I guess I'll have to figure something out. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed May 12, 2010 8:31 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:I received my UAH housing assignment today. $950 per month in a three bedroom, two blocks from the law school. However, Columbia wants $1900 (first month's rent + security deposit) by Monday. I have no money to do this. I don't think we can take out loans this early on. Anyone have any advice on what to do?
I am still waiting for my assignment, but I think I will have to pay something similar if I get the housing I requested. it's unbelievably irritating that they give you such a short window to make your decision and that there's no way to use your loan money to pay for it. I don't really have 2000 bucks lying around that I can just throw down on some deposit, but I guess I'll have to figure something out. :?
Banks can do a short-term loan of several thousand with low interest (about 5.5 for most out here in the west, IDK what it is out east). Interest on this loan, over three months, shouldn't be more than $100; if folks are truly pressed for cash, I'd try and find a credit union that does these type of loans, then take the full amount of COL loans from your university and pay the short-term loan off come Sept.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
Banks can do a short-term loan of several thousand with low interest (about 5.5 for most out here in the west, IDK what it is out east). Interest on this loan, over three months, shouldn't be more than $100; if folks are truly pressed for cash, I'd try and find a credit union that does these type of loans, then take the full amount of COL loans from your university and pay the short-term loan off come Sept.
thanks for the suggestion, kretzy! :)

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:posting here too because, well, these columbia threads are slow:
Loan applications are due May 15. Filled out the FAFSA thing online a few months back but haven't heard anything. Apparently you need to also fill out a loan form for the Stafford and submit it to Columbia but when I asked Columbia they just said that they are transitioning to direct loan program but didn't explain if this meant I did or did not have to fill out any additional forms beyond NeedAccess and FAFSA before may 15th to be eligible for a stafford. Does anyone have any idea?
anybody have an answer for this?

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:50 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:posting here too because, well, these columbia threads are slow:
anybody have an answer for this?
From the Columbia 2013 thread:
pissantvache wrote:All, figured I would do a little homework for everyone. Looks like they have indeed pushed the deadline back to June 1.
Columbia Law School Financial Aid Office wrote:Loans Only

(All Students Planning to Register in 2010-11)

Submit by June 1 to ensure timely processing:

* Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to federal processor3
* Columbia Law School Financial Aid Questionnaire1 to Financial Aid Office
* Loan Application(s) to Financial Aid Office

Loans and Columbia Law School Grants

(Entering 1L J.D. Students Only)

* Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to federal processor3 — March 1
* Need Access Application to Access Group4 — March 1
* CLS Financial Aid Questionnaire1 to Financial Aid Office — March 1
* 2009 Federal Income Tax Forms2 to Financial Aid Office (for student, spouse, and parents) — March 1
* Loan Application(s) to Financial Aid Office — June 1

http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... w-to-apply

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Fri May 14, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks! I kept meaning to call them but I'm on the West Coast so it was always too late by the time I remembered.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 am

Did anyone else get a housing assignment in a 3-bdrm apartment? I put that as my preference and I'm on pins and needles waiting for my assignment, since I really don't want to have to find an apartment in NYC if Columbia housing doesn't come through.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:52 am

blue5385 wrote:Did anyone else get a housing assignment in a 3-bdrm apartment? I put that as my preference and I'm on pins and needles waiting for my assignment, since I really don't want to have to find an apartment in NYC if Columbia housing doesn't come through.
I am waiting on the same. The students I spoke with said that during the year they still had vacancies so I would be surprised if we couldn't get into one.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Did anyone else get a housing assignment in a 3-bdrm apartment? I put that as my preference and I'm on pins and needles waiting for my assignment, since I really don't want to have to find an apartment in NYC if Columbia housing doesn't come through.
I am waiting on the same. The students I spoke with said that during the year they still had vacancies so I would be surprised if we couldn't get into one.
Do you mean the law school-specific 3-bdrm apartments or the UAH apartments that are open to all grad students? I requested the law school apartments on 115th St., and I really hope those are the ones you're referring to. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 am

blue5385 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:
Do you mean the law school-specific 3-bdrm apartments or the UAH apartments that are open to all grad students? I requested the law school apartments on 115th St., and I really hope those are the ones you're referring to. :)
That is exactly what I am referring to. Also, are all housing options going to require a large security deposit. that will suck.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:48 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:
That is exactly what I am referring to. Also, are all housing options going to require a large security deposit. that will suck.
Good, now we just have to hope that this year's 1Ls didn't all suddenly decide they're dying to live in the 115th St. apartments! (edit: otoh, I hope the fact that there are vacancies even during the school year doesn't mean the apartments are really shitty. The ones I saw during ASW weren't, but of course the ones they show prospective students would be relatively nice.)

And apparently Columbia requires a large security deposit (looks like ~1st month's rent + $1000 from above posts) and expects us to come up with it fast.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I know. Meanwhile, they have seen my all of my finances and know I do not have that money. Oh well... I guess I will figure it out somehow.

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Fri May 14, 2010 3:02 pm

I requested a 2-bedroom apartment share but was assigned a 3-bedroom apartment share. I'm paying $950 per month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
I requested a 2-bedroom apartment share but was assigned a 3-bedroom apartment share. I'm paying $950 per month.
I saw your post above and got a little nervous since I haven't received my assignment yet. :? Judging from Dtackpat's info, though, the 3-bedroom shares are not in high demand, so hopefully I and the others who requested a similar assignment & haven't received it yet will be fine.

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 pm

groundkontrol wrote:

Security Deposit?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Sat May 15, 2010 1:54 pm

blue5385 wrote:
groundkontrol wrote:
I saw your post above and got a little nervous since I haven't received my assignment yet. :? Judging from Dtackpat's info, though, the 3-bedroom shares are not in high demand, so hopefully I and the others who requested a similar assignment & haven't received it yet will be fine.
I hope so!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:46 am

has anyone specifically gotten an assignment in the 115th St. law school only building? (groundkontrol, I couldn't tell from your post if your apartment is in this building or another one, although it sounds like it's in the one I'm referring to.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:05 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
thanks for the suggestion, kretzy! :)
I spoke with the housing office and they gave me a one week extension to accept. they said this is OK as long I am committed to accepting. I also spoke with Finaid and they were able delay the first month rent payment until I moved into the apartment.

HTH

Also, I called for some other things last week and they sent me to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action to fill out the applications for the student loans. It seems everything will be done through this site now. It was quick and painless and took all of five minutes.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Mon May 17, 2010 2:04 pm

swc65 wrote:Also, I called for some other things last week and they sent me to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action to fill out the applications for the student loans. It seems everything will be done through this site now. It was quick and painless and took all of five minutes.
is this different from stafford loans?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
swc65 wrote:Also, I called for some other things last week and they sent me to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action to fill out the applications for the student loans. It seems everything will be done through this site now. It was quick and painless and took all of five minutes.
this site covers all federal loans and you can fill out the MPN for the stafford on it.

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Sun May 23, 2010 7:05 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
this site covers all federal loans and you can fill out the MPN for the stafford on it.
Were you able to actually apply for the Stafford/Grad PLUS loans? I was able to fill out the MPNs but thus far... no loan application.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”