Tulane 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411

Platinum

Re: Tulane 2010

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:11 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:WL via e-mail today. 165 / 3.2x
Same here. 165/2.8x. Was expecting a straight rejection, so I'm cool with it (late app + crap GPA). I'm going to send out the form, but I'm checking the "need a scholly" box so I don't expect it to go too far.

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm

keg411 wrote:
ChattTNdt wrote:WL via e-mail today. 165 / 3.2x
Same here. 165/2.8x. Was expecting a straight rejection, so I'm cool with it (late app + crap GPA). I'm going to send out the form, but I'm checking the "need a scholly" box so I don't expect it to go too far.

Same here, all around, except that I expected the WL. I'll likely be at LSU in the Fall, and sticker at Tulane is unjustifiable IMO, when you have other decent options.

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:36 am

otherside220 wrote:
nol607 wrote:Are there still a lot of people who went complete a second time 3/5 and have heard nothing since?
+1
Just called (2/8 then 3/5) asked when I could expect to hear, she said by end of April!!!!

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 am

Guess I was way off about getting a scholarship. Waitlisted yesterday. No biggy

billaboy12

New

Post by billaboy12 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 am

keemos wrote:Guess I was way off about getting a scholarship. Waitlisted yesterday. No biggy
Same. Not to sound pompous or anything, but based off of past years' numbers I really anticipated an acceptance plus a good chance of scholarship. Anyone have any theories on this year's "higher standards?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:58 am

I think it's when you applied. I was w/l with 3.6 163, which seems on the higher end, even on this year's LSN. I sent it ~1/28. That's the problem.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 am

If anyone is really desperate to get off of the w/l just check that you will pay full tuition. You'll be accepted in a week.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 am

nol607 wrote:I think it's when you applied. I was w/l with 3.6 163, which seems on the higher end, even on this year's LSN. I sent it ~1/28. That's the problem.
You are correct. I was 163 and 3.74, applied in Oct and got 25k. Apply again early next cycle and I bet you'd end up w/ a good schly.

also, I just put down the first deposit for Tulane. woot! But I'm still holding out on GWU to pull through for me!!

LiveFree

New

Post by LiveFree » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 am

Anyone think Tulane will increase its ranking this year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 am

Maybe Tulane just focuses less on numbers??

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 am

Everyone with a 163 and a reasonable gpa was accepted up until Monday according to LSN so I think it definitely has to do with when I/we applied. I checked off that I would go with a scholarship because I honestly would not pay sticker so why even say you would

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

keemos wrote:Everyone with a 163 and a reasonable gpa was accepted up until Monday according to LSN so I think it definitely has to do with when I/we applied. I checked off that I would go with a scholarship because I honestly would not pay sticker so why even say you would
I have over a 163, but an unreasonable GPA. So some people in the mix it has nothing to do with when we applied because I applied 2/28 and looking at LSN, would have been WL'd regardless.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 am

gwuorbust wrote:
msh342 wrote:PDaddy, you feel Tulane should be in the T30 / ranked the same as Fordham in terms of employment prospects?
hahahaha, if only this were true
Remember something...scholarly research, teaching quality, and the like are similar for those two schools and others. I don't know why more people don't understand this, but the tail that is the LSAT is wagging the dog that is the rankings, and the tail that is the rankings wags the dog that is the employment prospects. If Tulane were to be ranked at #30 this year, trust that there would be more employers interested in Tulane, just like more recruiters are probably looking at Indiana grads these days.

Employment can't be used to gage relative qualities between some schools because schools like Tulane, which do not game the rankings by admitting "numbers" - but real people instead - suffer to some degree in the rankings and, by extension, employment. What's astounding, however, is that Tulane surpasses most of the sub-20 schools, many ranked far above it, in terms of LSJ100 employment.

That's with the Katrina recovery still going on (quite nicely, I might add), with lower median LSAT's, and with a southern locale. Add to that Tulane's ability to place grads in more markets than Fordham and I think Tulane is the better school. Go to Tulane and work in Houston, Dallas, NOLA, S.F., L.A., NY, ATL, or D.C. or go to Fordham and work in...well...NY. I would prefer to have multiple options, thank you very much. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:46 am

PDaddy wrote:If Tulane were to be ranked at #30 this year, trust that there would be more employers interested in Tulane, just like more recruiters are probably looking at Indiana grads these days.
:roll:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:58 am

superflush wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If Tulane were to be ranked at #30 this year, trust that there would be more employers interested in Tulane, just like more recruiters are probably looking at Indiana grads these days.
Hey, I said "probably". I also do not imply that the change is immediate, although I cannot imagine employers not sitting up and taking notice. So, are you hatin' on IUB, or are you just a non-believer in the rankings' influence legal employers' behavior? lol. Employers rely on schools to sort talent, a point made over and over on TLS. Schools rely on rankings to tell them how good they are, and, thus sort talent according to what will improve their respective rankings. Hence, employers are relying on rankings whether they want to or not.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:20 am

PDaddy wrote:Hey, I said "probably". I also do not imply that the change is immediate, although I cannot imagine employers not sitting up and taking notice. So, are you hatin' on IUB, or are you just a non-believer in the rankings' influence legal employers' behavior? lol. Employers rely on schools to sort talent, a point made over and over on TLS. Schools rely on rankings to tell them how good they are, and, thus sort talent according to what will improve their respective rankings. Hence, employers are relying on rankings whether they want to or not.
They rankings matter only because you think that they do. Firms don't change where they recruit just because of a jump in the rankings. The rankings change all the time. Besides, there are huge discrepancies between the amount of firms that recruit as schools in the 20-30 zone to begin with. Just because IU is now the same rank as Notre Dame doesn't mean that IU should or ever will have a similar placement/recruiting pull. As far as firms "sitting up and taking notice" on how IU made a jump in the rankings, that is ridiculous, especially in this climate. IU had to cancel both its Chicago and DC off-campus interviewing programs this year because none of the firms wanted to participate.

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 am

gwuorbust wrote:
nol607 wrote:I think it's when you applied. I was w/l with 3.6 163, which seems on the higher end, even on this year's LSN. I sent it ~1/28. That's the problem.
You are correct. I was 163 and 3.74, applied in Oct and got 25k. Apply again early next cycle and I bet you'd end up w/ a good schly.

also, I just put down the first deposit for Tulane. woot! But I'm still holding out on GWU to pull through for me!!
I have my deposit filled out too! Just waiting to send :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 am

superflush wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Hey, I said "probably". I also do not imply that the change is immediate, although I cannot imagine employers not sitting up and taking notice. So, are you hatin' on IUB, or are you just a non-believer in the rankings' influence legal employers' behavior? lol. Employers rely on schools to sort talent, a point made over and over on TLS. Schools rely on rankings to tell them how good they are, and, thus sort talent according to what will improve their respective rankings. Hence, employers are relying on rankings whether they want to or not.
They rankings matter only because you think that they do. Firms don't change where they recruit just because of a jump in the rankings. The rankings change all the time. Besides, there are huge discrepancies between the amount of firms that recruit as schools in the 20-30 zone to begin with. Just because IU is now the same rank as Notre Dame doesn't mean that IU should or ever will have a similar placement/recruiting pull. As far as firms "sitting up and taking notice" on how IU made a jump in the rankings, that is ridiculous, especially in this climate. IU had to cancel both its Chicago and DC off-campus interviewing programs this year because none of the firms wanted to participate.
Not exactly. Last year Alabama reported that they had like a 40% increase in on-campus interviewers (rough estimate). So it would appear that there is at least some immediate response to the rankings.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:21 am

superflush wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

check this out

--LinkRemoved--

There were only 35 firms/government agencies/wutever OCI in Tulane last yr!!!
It`s worse than a lot of T2ssssss! Even Stetson had 31 of them :)

As for IUB, the number was 58 which is a little bit lower than most of T30 or T-40.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
superflush wrote:
Not exactly. Last year Alabama reported that they had like a 40% increase in on-campus interviewers (rough estimate). So it would appear that there is at least some immediate response to the rankings.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alabama had 15 OCIs last yr!!! They probably had 10-11 OCIs a year before! Woohooo! What a big jummmmmmmmmpppp!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:53 pm

baboon309 wrote:
superflush wrote:

check this out

--LinkRemoved--

As for IUB, the number was 58 which is a little bit lower than most of T30 or T-40.
At first I was like wow, that really is making it look like I am about to waste 105k. And then I looked at UF and they had 105 OCI and I was like aww shit ! WTF am I doing ?!?!?!

And then I looked at GWU's and they had one. One OCI. Does that make UF a btr invmnt than GWU? Hell no.

Then I realized than this is essentially a worthless way to judge a school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LiveFree

New

Post by LiveFree » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
superflush wrote:

check this out

--LinkRemoved--

At first I was like wow, that really is making it look like I am about to waste 105k. And then I looked at UF and they had 105 OCI and I was like aww shit ! WTF am I doing ?!?!?!

And then I looked at GWU's and they had one. One OCI. Does that make UF a btr invmnt than GWU? Hell no.

Then I realized than this is essentially a worthless way to judge a school.
Does anyone know if the prospects coming out of Tulane are really that bad??

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 pm

For a number of reasons, Tulane doesn't depend on OCI for employment. Tulane students participate in several OCI's all over the country. :wink: The info cited directly above is grossly misleading. And besides, you ignore the part of my statement where I said employers would pay more attention to tulane and its grads if Tulane's rank improved to #30 (whether via OCI or not) so we have a RC fail here. It's part of a larger argument that the rankings create amongst employers perceptions of student and school quality (tail wagging dog?). There is some evidence of this, I am sure.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Anecdotally, they seem to be. Having somewhat of a national reach is not a substitute for a large local legal market

totebags

New

Post by totebags » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:24 pm

baboon309 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
superflush wrote:

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alabama had 15 OCIs last yr!!! They probably had 10-11 OCIs a year before! Woohooo! What a big jummmmmmmmmpppp!
Wow, you're obnoxious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”