Southwestern Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek

Gold

Re: Southwestern

Post by Danteshek » Mon May 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Chakazulu wrote:I'm interested in tax law, but also a DA position. I'm assuming I'd take a lot of courses on taxation. However, can I raise my chances of being selected to DA by focusing on tax?
No. You'll want to take Criminal Procedure as your 1L elective, and then Evidence in the Fall as a 2L.

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Mon May 10, 2010 8:44 pm

4/6 they received my wait list form and the optional essay. I also sent in a LOCI last week. I was wondering if anyone on the waiting list was picked up?

Anything else I can do to increase my chances of being picked up? I'm feeling desperate now the only other acceptance I have is from Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa. Southwestern is my top choice.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm

i think you'll get in no problem mike. with a decent LOCI and your numbers? should be just a matter of time.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Mon May 10, 2010 11:28 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:4/6 they received my wait list form and the optional essay. I also sent in a LOCI last week. I was wondering if anyone on the waiting list was picked up?

Anything else I can do to increase my chances of being picked up? I'm feeling desperate now the only other acceptance I have is from Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa. Southwestern is my top choice.

Since your other acceptance is Whittier Law, please take a look at this:

Whittier Gate Whittiergate.com

I hope I don't find a website like this on Southwestern.

Haven't been picked up. Southwestern received my essays and wait-list package on March 31, 2010.

In writing the wait-list essays, did any of you address the person that sent you the wait-list notification?

I didn't address a specific person while answering the questions. Would addressing an admissions dean or whomever prove helpful in these types of situations? I know it can't hurt.

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:4/6 they received my wait list form and the optional essay. I also sent in a LOCI last week. I was wondering if anyone on the waiting list was picked up?

Haven't been picked up. Southwestern received my essays and wait-list package on March 31, 2010.

In writing the wait-list essays, did any of you address the person that sent you the wait-list notification?

I didn't address a specific person while answering the questions. Would addressing an admissions dean or whomever prove helpful in these types of situations? I know it can't hurt.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm reading the article right now and so far I am devastated.... I was probably 99% sure I would not go to Whittier but with this article it's definite I will not attend.

The optional essay I did not address it to any particular person, but I addressed the LOCI specifically to the Director of Admissions Lisa M. Gear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 1:42 am

lawschoolmike wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm reading the article right now and so far I am devastated.... I was probably 99% sure I would not go to Whittier but with this article it's definite I will not attend.

The optional essay I did not address it to any particular person, but I addressed the LOCI specifically to the Director of Admissions Lisa M. Gear.
Wasn't it two questions that were each answered with an essay to total two essays? Did you just write one essay to answer both questions? :|

Edit: NM! Found the answer to my questions. It is two essays. I freaked for a moment.
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
lawschoolmike wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

Wasn't it two questions that were each answered with an essay to total two essays? Did you just write one essay to answer both questions? :|

Edit: NM! Found the answer to my question. It is two essays. I freaked for a moment.
Ya it's two essays.

vvoc

New

Post by vvoc » Tue May 11, 2010 3:11 pm

out of curiosity...where would you guys go between SW with no money and McGeorge with $12k and books paid (if you wanted to work in LA after)?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 3:41 pm

vvoc wrote:out of curiosity...where would you guys go between SW with no money and McGeorge with $12k and books paid (if you wanted to work in LA after)?
SW

As discussed above, the importance of the networking you do from schools at this level can't be stressed enough.

McGeorge = NoCal/Sacramento
SW = Los Angeles

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

vvoc wrote:out of curiosity...where would you guys go between SW with no money and McGeorge with $12k and books paid (if you wanted to work in LA after)?
Another way to look at it: if you were a young professor, where would you rather teach, LA or Sacramento?

jdhopeful2010

New

Post by jdhopeful2010 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Hey guys! Any admitted students receive the reminder email about deat deposits due this weekend? I asked about an exension (or any kind of help, really) and after being told my request would be forwarded I got an email with the due date highlighted. I'm really hoping this is not the reponse to my request....for multiple reasons. Moving across the country with less than a months notice has really eaten away at my funds. :(

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

That's why you should move to LA now, and not wait until July.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 5:44 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:Hey guys! Any admitted students receive the reminder email about deat deposits due this weekend? I asked about an exension (or any kind of help, really) and after being told my request would be forwarded I got an email with the due date highlighted. I'm really hoping this is not the reponse to my request....for multiple reasons. Moving across the country with less than a months notice has really eaten away at my funds. :(
Are you driving or flying to LA? I'd drive if I were you and move and pack everything. Rent a car if you can.

How are you moving? Maybe we can shed some perspective to make your job easier. Do you at least have friends here.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue May 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Can someone tell me about SW's Street Law Clinic?

What does it entail?

I read about it on SW's page. I'd prefer some firsthand experience. Thanks.

jdhopeful2010

New

Post by jdhopeful2010 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 pm

I AM moving now and not in July. That was my point. I planned on moving at the end of June, but having to do the academy means I have to be in LA in 2 weeks. I planned on working another couple of months and being able to put away for the move, but that won't to happen. Which makes coming up with another $1000 (May 15th and then June 1st) is extremely tough.

I'm driving. I bought space saver bags and packed in those, no suitcases, no bags...just throwing them in my trunk. I do have bunch of friends in the LA and Orange County area...some went to school here on the east coast but are originally from there and do the drive a lot, so they have been walking me through the whole moving thing.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 3:47 am

jdhopeful2010 wrote:I AM moving now and not in July. That was my point. I planned on moving at the end of June, but having to do the academy means I have to be in LA in 2 weeks. I planned on working another couple of months and being able to put away for the move, but that won't to happen. Which makes coming up with another $1000 (May 15th and then June 1st) is extremely tough.

I'm driving. I bought space saver bags and packed in those, no suitcases, no bags...just throwing them in my trunk. I do have bunch of friends in the LA and Orange County area...some went to school here on the east coast but are originally from there and do the drive a lot, so they have been walking me through the whole moving thing.
That's fantastic. You can always put the payment down on a low interest credit card, if those still exists. Depending on where you are in the U.S., and how fast you drive, you can make it to Cali in two weeks. Try to avoid Arizona.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed May 12, 2010 1:38 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote: Depending on where you are in the U.S., and how fast you drive, you can make it to Cali in two weeks. Try to avoid Arizona.
2 weeks if you are in a covered wagon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:46 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote: Depending on where you are in the U.S., and how fast you drive, you can make it to Cali in two weeks. Try to avoid Arizona.
be sure your wagon mates don't get dysentary or diarrhea and die, this could set you back a couple days

and make sure to stock up on wagon wheels and oxen, don't buy food, you can always hunt for it as you need it

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 1:50 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
By covered wagon I'm sure you mean an automobile that he will be driving solo. LOL.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed May 12, 2010 1:56 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:I AM moving now and not in July. That was my point. I planned on moving at the end of June, but having to do the academy means I have to be in LA in 2 weeks. I planned on working another couple of months and being able to put away for the move, but that won't to happen. Which makes coming up with another $1000 (May 15th and then June 1st) is extremely tough.

Have you called admissions and talked to anyone there directly, or just emailed? If you haven't yet, I highly recommend talking 1 to 1 with someone there to see if something can be worked out. In the end, your loans will cover this anyways, so why they wouldn't work something out with you would be puzzling.

jdhopeful2010

New

Post by jdhopeful2010 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:24 pm

I've been in communication with the offices and it seems like they are trying to help me out, so right now I am just playing it by ear. Feeling much better as of today. :)

I will have some company on the trip so we are driving straight through. A friend of mine does the drive with her aunt and they just switch off sleeping and driving. Should be interesting and entertaining. :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Wed May 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Withdrew with some $$$... good luck everyone!!

thewaitinggame

New

Post by thewaitinggame » Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 am

Hey Guys I was wondering if I could get some advice,

Southwestern is and has been my top choice, and pretty much my only choice now.. kinda ironic.

I applied right at the deadline (I know really late in the game) but haven't heard back yet and was wondering if a LOCI would do any good.

My numbers 2.87 (with legitimate reason explained in ps) LSAT (160)
Softs: Broke racial barriers with organizations on campus and held many leadership positions.

I was going to write a LOCI about how I am currently progressing to earning A's in my last courses that should put me back around the 3.0 range and some other stuff I am doing.

Any advice would be really appreciated and let me know if you need any more information....

Thanks in advance...

thewaitinggame

New

Post by thewaitinggame » Thu May 13, 2010 12:11 am

Oh and I am Indian... not a URM I know but just in case anyone was wondering

Thanks again

filmbuff

New

Post by filmbuff » Thu May 13, 2010 2:41 am

If you applied at the very end of the cycle, you need to be a little more patient. There are several people here who applied to schools in January (if not end of '09) and have heard nothing yet!

Also, my opinion is that there's not much point to pushing the admissions re. your file until you have your final grades in hand. It would be pretty distressing if you did not get the grades you "promised" admissions and then had to report something less impressive when it came down to it. If you have good news, give it to them when it's certain, along with any other updates on your resume. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”