Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mhd08

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Does anyone know if Pitt does a reception for scholarship recipients?

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 pm

mhd08 wrote:Does anyone know if Pitt does a reception for scholarship recipients?
They didn't 2 years ago.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 pm

mhd08 wrote:Does anyone know if Pitt does a reception for scholarship recipients?

I'm under the impression that well over half of the incoming class will have a scholarship of some kind. According to LSN, median candidates are getting scholarships.
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:17 pm

K, thanks!

delnotdl

New

Post by delnotdl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 am

Wow so Pitt was not even on my radar until I got an email the other day with my acceptance. All I knew about Pitt a week ago was Dave Wannstedt and his glorious mustache. I've never visited the city before, although I do have a ton of family in Philly (far away, I know). The more I look into Pitt, the better it really looks and I am now really intrigued. Anyone want to sell me on why I need to leave South Florida to head up to Pitt? Before I received the acceptance from Pitt I was planning on going to Miami but I'm not 100% sold on UM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:42 pm

delnotdl wrote:Wow so Pitt was not even on my radar until I got an email the other day with my acceptance. All I knew about Pitt a week ago was Dave Wannstedt and his glorious mustache. I've never visited the city before, although I do have a ton of family in Philly (far away, I know). The more I look into Pitt, the better it really looks and I am now really intrigued. Anyone want to sell me on why I need to leave South Florida to head up to Pitt? Before I received the acceptance from Pitt I was planning on going to Miami but I'm not 100% sold on UM.
Super low cost of living, relaxed atmosphere, great location in a beautiful city, solid school that dominates a decent market, Steelers, Penguins, all around awesome!

Negatives: Snow.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:45 pm

delnotdl wrote:Wow so Pitt was not even on my radar until I got an email the other day with my acceptance. All I knew about Pitt a week ago was Dave Wannstedt and his glorious mustache. I've never visited the city before, although I do have a ton of family in Philly (far away, I know). The more I look into Pitt, the better it really looks and I am now really intrigued. Anyone want to sell me on why I need to leave South Florida to head up to Pitt? Before I received the acceptance from Pitt I was planning on going to Miami but I'm not 100% sold on UM.
Great area in general but it really depends on where you want to practice... Obviously, Miami will place you better in SF if thats where you want to go... thats probably the biggest part of your decision... You dont have to stay in the Pitt area necessarily but keep in mind that Pitt is generally a "regional" school the same as most "TT" (including Miami)

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

I'm under the impression that well over half of the incoming class will have a scholarship of some kind. According to LSN, median candidates are getting scholarships.
+1, I got 8k per year with median LSAT and slightly below median GPA.

Colton

New

Post by Colton » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:00 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Super low cost of living, relaxed atmosphere, great location in a beautiful city, solid school that dominates a decent market, Steelers, Penguins, all around awesome!

Negatives: Snow.
Also: 3 million dollar basement [where all the students hang out] renovation over the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Deposited today.

Do we have a facebook group? Or is there a separate TLS thread that I should move to?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

smartin wrote:Deposited today.

Do we have a facebook group? Or is there a separate TLS thread that I should move to?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 299&ref=ts

there is the facebook group. There is another thread too, but it's not very active.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 pm

smartin wrote:Deposited today.

Congrats on a complete cycle!

Also:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 25&t=83123

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Sooo this thread's been kinda slow lately. For everyone attending next year, what do you plan on doing in your very limited free time while at Pitt? I plan on taking advantage of the local rock gym. Anyone else rock climb?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Mon May 03, 2010 2:35 pm

accepted via phone today with 8k merit scholarship. Decisions decisions

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:48 pm

mhd08 wrote:Sooo this thread's been kinda slow lately. For everyone attending next year, what do you plan on doing in your very limited free time while at Pitt? I plan on taking advantage of the local rock gym. Anyone else rock climb?

I have done a little climbing and really enjoyed it. I'm more of a runner though. I ran the pittsburgh marathon yesterday and will probably do it again next year.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Mon May 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:Sooo this thread's been kinda slow lately. For everyone attending next year, what do you plan on doing in your very limited free time while at Pitt? I plan on taking advantage of the local rock gym. Anyone else rock climb?

I have done a little climbing and really enjoyed it. I'm more of a runner though. I ran the pittsburgh marathon yesterday and will probably do it again next year.
I'm also a runner and curious about running in Pittsburgh. With all the hills, is it a good running city?

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

I'm hoping to find a few people that climb so I don't walk into the gym not knowing anyone. In high school I ran cross country and track, but that slowed waaay down in college. I was hoping to get back into it, but tearing both my ACLs didn't really help that cause. Apparently Pittsburgh's a really bike-friendly city, so I think I might try to get into that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:
I'm also a runner and curious about running in Pittsburgh. With all the hills, is it a good running city?
Yeah, there's just about anything you want. There is a trail that runs from pittsburgh to DC. Schenley Park is right next to campus, and it is very popular among runners. The Montour Trail is a very long, flat trail. Also, there is a 5 mile loop around a lake in North Park, also very popular. There are a lot of races in North Park.

There is a big 10k/5k in sept called The Great Race, it's really cool. The course starts in Frick Park and ends downtown, which means you end the race at a considerably lower elevation than you start. It runs through campus.

There is the "Spirit of Pittsburgh" half marathon in November, which starts and ends in the south side works.

And the marathon was yesterday and will be in May next year. I think the course is pretty challanging. Although there are no megahills, the whole second half of the course is rolling.

I think if you look, you can find a race just about any weekend. There are even really challenging trail races in the summer, if you're feeling hardcore.

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Mon May 03, 2010 3:42 pm

mhd08 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

I'm hoping to find a few people that climb so I don't walk into the gym not knowing anyone. In high school I ran cross country and track, but that slowed waaay down in college. I was hoping to get back into it, but tearing both my ACLs didn't really help that cause. Apparently Pittsburgh's a really bike-friendly city, so I think I might try to get into that.
If I accept, I'm looking forward to a climbing gym. I got hooked this spring here in Toronto.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
nyjfanjmk wrote:
Yeah, there's just about anything you want. There is a trail that runs from pittsburgh to DC. Schenley Park is right next to campus, and it is very popular among runners. The Montour Trail is a very long, flat trail. Also, there is a 5 mile loop around a lake in North Park, also very popular. There are a lot of races in North Park.

There is a big 10k/5k in sept called The Great Race, it's really cool. The course starts in Frick Park and ends downtown, which means you end the race at a considerably lower elevation than you start. It runs through campus.

There is the "Spirit of Pittsburgh" half marathon in November, which starts and ends in the south side works.

And the marathon was yesterday and will be in May next year. I think the course is pretty challanging. Although there are no megahills, the whole second half of the course is rolling.

I think if you look, you can find a race just about any weekend. There are even really challenging trail races in the summer, if you're feeling hardcore.
Thanks for the info. That Great Race sounds very cool, I will certainly be checking that out.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon May 03, 2010 4:00 pm

I generally don't run unless chased.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Yeah, I climb! We should take some trips outside of Pittsburgh sometime. Are you talking about the Pitt climbing wall or the bouldering gym in Shady Side?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon May 03, 2010 5:45 pm

I hate running, I just lift weights and play basketball (although taking time off from basketball because of current shin problems). I heard Pitt has 2 gyms, one is in the building where the basketball plays and another somewhere else. I have yet to see them but I hope they are larger than my UG's gym.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:51 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I hate running, I just lift weights and play basketball (although taking time off from basketball because of current shin problems). I heard Pitt has 2 gyms, one is in the building where the basketball plays and another somewhere else. I have yet to see them but I hope they are larger than my UG's gym.
The petersen event center has an amazing gym. It was opened in 2002 and it's just a beautiful facility. I guess some people use the fitzgerald field house, it's the old gym, used before the pete was built. Neither are super close to the law building, but the pete is closer.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 pm

That gym's hours are pretty lame. 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. on weekdays. My undergrad gym is open 5:30am - 11:00 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”