Dumbest things overheard at law school fair Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amputatedbrain

Bronze

Dumbest things overheard at law school fair

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Just got back from a law school fair at a major public university, just thought these were gems . . . anyone else got any good ones

Guy in suit/tie to adcomm at Stanford table: "Does Stanford have a competitive bar passage rate?"

Some guy talking to Vanderbilt table: "I have a 3.9 GPA, but I haven't taken the LSAT yet . . . so with that GPA and an unknown LSAT score, what are my odds of admission?"

Legacy316

Bronze

Re: Dumbest things overheard at law school fair

Post by Legacy316 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:36 pm

One of the officers in my PLS invited me to attend b/c "all the top law schools were going to be there - like Princeton."

Being 100% serious, too.

ChildPlease

New

Post by ChildPlease » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:34 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Just got back from a law school fair at a major public university, just thought these were gems . . . anyone else got any good ones

Guy in suit/tie to adcomm at Stanford table: "Does Stanford have a competitive bar passage rate?"

Some guy talking to Vanderbilt table: "I have a 3.9 GPA, but I haven't taken the LSAT yet . . . so with that GPA and an unknown LSAT score, what are my odds of admission?"
YES! I would have bursted out laughing if I heard that first one. What was the the adcom's response?

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm

ChildPlease wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:Just got back from a law school fair at a major public university, just thought these were gems . . . anyone else got any good ones

YES! I would have bursted out laughing if I heard that first one. What was the the adcom's response?
nothing too funny . . . the lady at the Stanford table was totally caught off guard, just said "really high" or something like that . . . the guy at the Vandy table just gave the whole speech about taking a holistic approach to applications

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Last year, when I was talking with a Notre Dame rep. (who was really, REALLY catholic wore a huge cross necklace and spent 10 mins. of her presentation talking about God and the law) a guy came up to her and asked "I'm a pagan, do I have any chance of getting in?" It took me all my might to stop from laughing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:48 pm

robin600 wrote:Last year, when I was talking with a Notre Dame rep. (who was really, REALLY catholic wore a huge cross necklace and spent 10 mins. of her presentation talking about God and the law) a guy came up to her and asked "I'm a pagan, do I have any chance of getting in?" It took me all my might to stop from laughing.
LOL

Was he serious?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 pm

galahad85 wrote:
robin600 wrote:Last year, when I was talking with a Notre Dame rep. (who was really, REALLY catholic wore a huge cross necklace and spent 10 mins. of her presentation talking about God and the law) a guy came up to her and asked "I'm a pagan, do I have any chance of getting in?" It took me all my might to stop from laughing.
LOL

Was he serious?
The sad thing is, yes, or at least he played the part very well. The lady was clueless on what to say, she was like "ummm...we look at everybody's application regardless of religious background." She got all red. It was priceless.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Awesome.

soccersmo

New

Post by soccersmo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:07 pm

I love the Stanford guy... suit and tie is the cherry on top of that...
and oh yea, the pagan too hahahaha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Inygma wrote:
Awesome.
+1. Hilarious.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 pm

5ky wrote:Adcom from UNC tried to convince me it wasn't harder to get in if you were out of state as compared to in state. He tried to claim that residency wouldn't help.
This is probably the funniest out of all the posts in this thread.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I was in a small presentation by a Regent Adcom officer at my school, put on through our PAD.

Student asked what it was like for gay students at the school.

Officer said "interesting"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm

"A law degree can open many doors..."

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 pm

OMFG, I can't believe it! I almost forgot about this one!!!!

I watched this guy go from table to table, asking where the school was located. He was like, "What state are you located in?" to John Marshall, "The woman responds, IL", then again to Ave Maria, "Florida" and then I watch him walk over to Vermont Law and go "What state are you located in?" ...the woman just stares and goes, "Vermont". I had been talking with the UF Asst. Dean for sometime and she says, "Whose he? We will not be letting him in."

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:58 pm

5ky wrote:Adcom from UNC tried to convince me it wasn't harder to get in if you were out of state as compared to in state. He tried to claim that residency wouldn't help.
A female UNC adcomm tried this with me too. :?

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 pm

MTal wrote:"A law degree can open many doors..."

LOL. I hope this wasn't an adcomm and was just a law school hopeful.

Is it just me or does almost EVERYONE (outside of TLS and lawyers) think that getting a law degree is best thing in world? Seriously, people are so stupid sometimes. They often equate law with medicine and think that lawyers are all wealthy assholes that date supermodels. I blame this misconception on the media.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FacistCommunist

New

Post by FacistCommunist » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:04 pm

lsb wrote:

Is it just me or does almost EVERYONE (outside of TLS and lawyers) think that getting a law degree is best thing in world? Seriously, people are so stupid sometimes. They often equate law with medicine and think that lawyers are all wealthy assholes that date supermodels.
They don't?!?! Well I always have my backup plan...

Winning the lottery!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Cupidity wrote:OMFG, I can't believe it! I almost forgot about this one!!!!

I watched this guy go from table to table, asking where the school was located. He was like, "What state are you located in?" to John Marshall, "The woman responds, IL", then again to Ave Maria, "Florida" and then I watch him walk over to Vermont Law and go "What state are you located in?" ...the woman just stares and goes, "Vermont". I had been talking with the UF Asst. Dean for sometime and she says, "Whose he? We will not be letting him in."
OMG what a tool, I love the adcoms response tho

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

I maintain that 50% of the dumb things that get said at fairs are from adcomms. Somewhere in their quest to not offend while still sounding somewhat authoritative they just come off as ridiculous. That being said, some of them are super nice, wonderful, sincere and honest people...these are the ones I have chosen to read my applications this cycle.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
I actually haven't heard of an in state bump unless its the same school. Law schools love out of state students, they can charge them more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 pm

lsb wrote:

Is it just me or does almost EVERYONE (outside of TLS and lawyers) think that getting a law degree is best thing in world? Seriously, people are so stupid sometimes. They often equate law with medicine and think that lawyers are all wealthy assholes that date supermodels. I blame this misconception on the media.
Misconception?? this here is like being told that Santa is not real...

well.. maybe all T14 lawyers are what you just discribed....

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:20 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
I actually haven't heard of an in state bump unless its the same school. Law schools love out of state students, they can charge them more.
WTF????!??!? Most in-state public law schools have to have a certain amount of in-state students because people who live in that state pay taxes to fund the school. Of course if you're a in state applicant who applies to their public school it will give you a little boost.

lsb

Bronze

Post by lsb » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Ragged wrote:
lsb wrote:

Misconception?? this here is like being told that Santa is not real...

well.. maybe all T14 lawyers are what you just discribed
I wish, but it's just not true. The people in law that actually make REAL money (the type the media portrays) either got lucky going solo, are partners, or got lucky with some sweet in-house gig (which is an extreme rarity).

Whenever someone starts talking to me about how lawyers are so wealthy, I just think 'how naive can you be'? I think if you want to make money, you almost have to go into business.

NatSec

Bronze

Post by NatSec » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
last time I checked UNC had something like 70% of their class HAD to be from in-state. if that's not a preference then I don't know what is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”