Univ. of Richmond Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oberlin08

Bronze

Re: Univ. of Richmond

Post by oberlin08 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:49 am

Someone else withdrew...

:?

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:lol, it is still a really great place to live.
i'm sure the weather is better than where i a live. last week it was 0C (32F) and snowing. this week it's blowing 100km/hour (62mph) with sleet.

AirenAdamonis

New

Post by AirenAdamonis » Wed May 05, 2010 7:09 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Someone else withdrew...

:?
Has anyone heard of ANY movement on the wait lists yet? I am getting more nervous/skeptical every day... :(

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:53 pm

According to something I read somewhere (lol wish I remember so I can cite it... may be the interview here), UR is actively triyng to shrink their 1L class... so it may be an awkward year for them WL wise. Just be patient. Be in touch with the admissions office over the summer to let them know you are still interested and keep your name fresh, but be careful to not overwhelmingly do it and suffocate them. It's a balancing act.

I did this with W&L last year... sent an email every 2-4 weeks or so over the summer just to confirm I'm still waiting and interested and to offer any file updates. 5 days before orientation I got an e-mail from one of the admissions people asking me if I'm still interested in coming there, and at that point I declined (and honestly considering the $$ situation UR was the correct choice the whole time)... but it does go to show it can and will work. I had no business getting into WL with my numbers (although I was not technically admitted, those emails were always followed up, at least according to people on TLS, with an acceptance when you indicated you still wanted to go and the email itself was more or less worded like a very roundabout acceptance... protecting their yield I would assume by feeling WLers out first).

I have shared this anecdote with others on here in PMs, but I have a classmate here with not-so-great numbers for UR (155ish LSAT, 3.7ish GPA) who was admitted in the final week before orientation. I know others with similar numbers who did not gain admittance, but it does happen to some people.

AirenAdamonis

New

Post by AirenAdamonis » Wed May 05, 2010 9:32 pm

apper123 wrote:According to something I read somewhere (lol wish I remember so I can cite it... may be the interview here), UR is actively triyng to shrink their 1L class... so it may be an awkward year for them WL wise. Just be patient. Be in touch with the admissions office over the summer to let them know you are still interested and keep your name fresh, but be careful to not overwhelmingly do it and suffocate them. It's a balancing act.

I did this with W&L last year... sent an email every 2-4 weeks or so over the summer just to confirm I'm still waiting and interested and to offer any file updates. 5 days before orientation I got an e-mail from one of the admissions people asking me if I'm still interested in coming there, and at that point I declined (and honestly considering the $$ situation UR was the correct choice the whole time)... but it does go to show it can and will work. I had no business getting into WL with my numbers (although I was not technically admitted, those emails were always followed up, at least according to people on TLS, with an acceptance when you indicated you still wanted to go and the email itself was more or less worded like a very roundabout acceptance... protecting their yield I would assume by feeling WLers out first).

I have shared this anecdote with others on here in PMs, but I have a classmate here with not-so-great numbers for UR (155ish LSAT, 3.7ish GPA) who was admitted in the final week before orientation. I know others with similar numbers who did not gain admittance, but it does happen to some people.

Thanks for the advice! I was just wondering if you had any idea if being on the priority wait list is any better than being on the regular? I've heard stories of people getting in off the regular wait list, but if the priority is moving so slowly, i don't even understand why they would have a regular one.

PS-I have almost identical numbers as your friend, 155 LSAT 3.7 GPA and I am on the PWL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:05 am

Obviously being on the priority is superior (otherwise why have it?), and it's a bit too early to see much WL movement anywhere to be honest. Many people double (and some even triple) deposit.

My friend admitted late last year said her WL letter indicated nothing about priority and she wasn't even aware a priority waitlist existed, so I'm going to assume she was on the regular WL.

Marissa7654321

New

Post by Marissa7654321 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Withdrawing from PWL today.
Catholic offered me more $$, and while I was originally all gung-ho about UofR, my scholarship'll make Catholic cheaper (even with CoL differences) and my fiance will have a much easier time getting a job in/near DC.
Hopefully someone here'll get my (potential) spot.

KennyG

New

Post by KennyG » Thu May 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Apper, I have a few questions.

What does the job situation look like for 1L's this year at UofR? I know it's pretty bleak everywhere, and that even unpaid positions are extremely difficult to get in a lot of places. If you had to speculate, what percentage of students have been able to line up summer work so far? Are many people planning on taking summer courses because they can't find jobs? Are any students towards the top of the class getting firm jobs that pay? I'm probably attending UofR no matter what at this point, I just want to have a good idea of what I'll be facing a year from now.

Also, what is the curve for most classes at UofR. What is the median grade?

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Fri May 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Any PWL's hear from Richmond?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYVA311

Bronze

Post by NYVA311 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 pm

I don't mean to be negative but it doesn't look like they're even accepting people off the PWL, and it's basically June. Maybe there will be a surge of acceptances after their second seat deposit, but for those on the regular WL, it's not looking good :-/

AirenAdamonis

New

Post by AirenAdamonis » Sat May 29, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm on the PWL and haven't heard anything...I'm getting kind of worried...From the letter that I received in April telling me I was on the PWL, it sounded like an automatic acceptance after the first deposit was due, but from what I heard, only 1-2 people got in after that deposit

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Sun May 30, 2010 5:52 pm

AA, Yes that is the impression I got from both the letter and Jen Rosen at the Admissions Office after I visited. I may have misjudged this years admissions cycle combined with UofR's decreasing class sizes...... I'm not that hopeful about an acceptance since July 1 is a very long time to wait.....

KennyG

New

Post by KennyG » Mon May 31, 2010 4:24 pm

FWIW I got an text from Dean Rahman about being deposited at multiple schools. She did seem like she wanted to know as soon as possible where I was leaning so that she could offer my spot to a waitlister. I will be attending UR though.

I was also surprised to see how many people were at the Deposited Students Day, considering how small the class is supposed to be (granted most of them didn't travel all that far). I can't imagine that there are a ton of open spots right now. Good luck to you guys though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 pm

KennyG wrote:FWIW I got an text from Dean Rahman about being deposited at multiple schools. She did seem like she wanted to know as soon as possible where I was leaning so that she could offer my spot to a waitlister. I will be attending UR though.

I was also surprised to see how many people were at the Deposited Students Day, considering how small the class is supposed to be (granted most of them didn't travel all that far). I can't imagine that there are a ton of open spots right now. Good luck to you guys though.
what was more suprising was that out of the 60-70 students at DSD, only 4 or 5 showed up for the Down Under (which was the best part).

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 am

Any rough estimate for how many people were at DSD?

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:30 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Any rough estimate for how many people were at DSD?
looked like around 60 students and another 20-30 family members.

rqstnnlitnmnt

New

Post by rqstnnlitnmnt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:20 pm

hey everyone, been lurking throughout the process but just created an account since i seem to be checking this thread much more frequently lately...

i'm on the PWL and like everyone else keeping all my fingers crossed for an offer, just wanted to say good luck to everyone here and to find out if anyone else around went to UVA undergrad or lives in Charlottesville currently? just curious (btw, I did and do). I'm banking on lots of movement around that second deposit deadline but who knows, it's all so maddening.

been thinking A LOT about what to do if...can't bring myself to say it but you know what I mean...seem to be settling on going back for my master's in special ed (I worked for 7 years in the field prior to all this), taking the LSAT again and then trying again for next year. Is it too early to open up the thread for discussion of plan B's (or C's in some cases, including my own)?

Incidentally, anyone here interested in pursuing special ed law?

thanks again for all the great info, hope I get to meet some of you in person some day soon!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roo42

New

Post by roo42 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Did anyone on the PWL or WL retake the LSAT today? I did--hope to never have to go through that hell again!

ocana1

New

Post by ocana1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm on the PWL but opted not to take the LSAT again. Once was definitely enough. Good luck to you.

AirenAdamonis

New

Post by AirenAdamonis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm

has anyone else on the PWL completely stopped receiving any mailings/brochures from richmond? not sure if it's a bad sign or not.

rqstnnlitnmnt

New

Post by rqstnnlitnmnt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I haven't gotten anything in a while either but it seems to me that it's not a great indicator of the status of the waitlist, just makes sense to not spend money on postage to those of us who already know about the school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AirenAdamonis

New

Post by AirenAdamonis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:26 pm

so i have a major dilemma...got a phone call from penn state law admissions director today basically telling me i'm in and have to withdraw from all other applications if i accept the offer. i'm on the priority waitlist at UR which is my top choice by far...does anyone think a spot or two will open up for us PWL people? i called today and she said they still have a full class right now and the final deposit is due July 1...what should i do?

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Were you on the WL at Penn State and then got off of it? Would you choose Penn State over another school you deposited at if you don't get into Richmond?

If you got off PSU's WL and you'd rather go there then the school you're deposited at, go for it. I'm on the PWL, hoping that a few spots open up but with the apps up and their enrollment going down, I'm not holding my breath.

roo42

New

Post by roo42 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:48 pm

AirenAdamonis: Obviously none of us can make this choice for you; however, if I was in your shoes, I would think ask myself these questions: How bad to I want to start law school in this fall? Am I willing to wait until next fall if UR doesn't come through and I pass on this offer?

If you are willing to wait and go through another application cycle, then I say pass on the acceptance. But if you want to start this fall, I say accept it and be thrilled. If you still want to come to UR next year, you could always transfer in.... That probably didn't help that much, but those would be the questions I would wrestle with if in my shoes.

BTW: Congrats! That is awesome that you got a call!

AirenAdamonis

New

Post by AirenAdamonis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I e-mailed Dean R. and apparently it is against LSAC's rules for a school to require you to withdraw all of your applications after accepting an offer so I'm not sure why PSU is so adamant about that aspect...now if only they didn't want a $1,000 deposit within a week, i would totally accept the offer this minute. Looks like i'm staying on richmond's PWL and keeping my fingers crossed!

Goodluck to all of you as well

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”