Univ of Georgia Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MikeRob9485

New

Re: Univ of Georgia

Post by MikeRob9485 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:48 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
bacchus wrote:i realize this is very off-topic, but i'm wondering if there's anyone posting in this thread who's spent significant time working out at the ramsey center. specifically i guess i just want to know if it's usually really crowded, because i'm considering a membership at a local private gym if ramsey is always swamped by frat boys curling in the squat racks.
What time are you going to work out bacchus? That is largely going to be the factor that decides how crowded it is. And what private gym are you looking at? Omni? I've thought about becoming a member at Omni for the same reasons you're thinking.

Also? guy or girl? cardio or lifting? Sorry for the 3rd degree but I'm looking for a workout buddy.

I'll work out with you, bud. I'm thinking of trying to get up early every morning and doing it rather than the afternoons. Plus i'll be right down the hall from you in 909

bacchus

New

Post by bacchus » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:43 pm

nickwar wrote:
bacchus wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:
bacchus wrote:i realize this is very off-topic, but i'm wondering if there's anyone posting in this thread who's spent significant time working out at the ramsey center. specifically i guess i just want to know if it's usually really crowded, because i'm considering a membership at a local private gym if ramsey is always swamped by frat boys curling in the squat racks.
What time are you going to work out bacchus? That is largely going to be the factor that decides how crowded it is. And what private gym are you looking at? Omni? I've thought about becoming a member at Omni for the same reasons you're thinking.

Also? guy or girl? cardio or lifting? Sorry for the 3rd degree but I'm looking for a workout buddy.
haha no, i'm glad you asked TBM! i'm a guy, and i've been lifting 3x/week. i usually do big compound lifts - a squat, push and a pull each time in the gym... i roughly follow Stronglifts.com's version of the 5x5. i was thinking about training at The Hardcore Gym, but it's pretty expensive, and probably not in the budget at least for the fall.

as far as when i'm going to work out, it really doesn't matter to me too much. as long as i can get there at a time that fits my schedule and that won't be exceedingly busy, i'm usually pretty flexible. during undergrad i worked out late at night a lot, which was nice because it was a lot less crowded.

if our workout styles seem compatible to you, we should definitely hit the gym together!

Bacchus, I train at the Hardcore Gym and can answer any questions you have about it. It's really worth the $$$. Plus, depending on what you want to do, it can be a fair price. I spend $80/month to train however much I want grappling/boxing/lifting/etc. That's WAY less than pretty much any other mma gym in the Atlanta area (believe me, I've tried almost all of them.) Not to mention Adam and Rory Singer and their other coaches are literally some of the best in the nation.

Hardcore was one of the main reasons I stayed in Athens for law school and it really kept me sane through 1L. It's worth it. PM if you have any questions.
nick, i've been there for a bjj class with adam, and i loved it. i also like their lifting equipment. i thought it was $100/month though with a 1-year contract... maybe rates have gone up?

bta422

New

Post by bta422 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:30 pm

does anyone know if our LRW class is graded or credit/no-credit?

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Graded, unfortunately.

bta422

New

Post by bta422 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm

jennylynn wrote:Graded, unfortunately.
are you serious? shit...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 pm

bta422 wrote:
are you serious? shit...
Yeah. It sucks. lol But everybody's in the same boat. :)

ellakay

New

Post by ellakay » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm

bta422 wrote:
are you serious? shit...
It's not as horrible as it seems. My professor spent a lot of time with us in her office talking through organization and content, so if your professor is like that, definitely take him/her up on it. It really helps with the stress and with the finished product.

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:52 pm

bacchus wrote:nick, i've been there for a bjj class with adam, and i loved it. i also like their lifting equipment. i thought it was $100/month though with a 1-year contract... maybe rates have gone up?

Yeah there's a chance. I've been locked in on my rate for years now I think. Or I'm in the middle of a 3-year contract, I can't really remember. Still, the average MMA gym in Georgia runs something like $140+/month for the amount of training but half the quality you get at Hardcore. If grappling, stand up or both interest you, I promise you it'll be worth the money. And the weight room is almost always empty.

I'd go to class from 9-4:30 every day first semester and come home feeling completely burnt out. Then I'd go train and come home feeling like new. It really is amazing. Plus, like I said, it's easily the best all around gym in Georgia. You have places like Alliance that are great at BJJ (gi) but they don't match Adam and Rory when it comes to all-around game. I think our fighters are on something like an 8-0 run over the past couple weeks. Plus guys from literally every gym in Georgia drive up for Mon/Wed MMA classes.

They usually do a free first week. Check out a little bit of everything one week early in the semester. I'll ask a friend who's also in law school what he's paying.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:23 pm

yay for section assignments early!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 pm

eandy wrote:yay for section assignments early!
Yay!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:56 pm

eandy wrote:yay for section assignments early!
Woo hoo! I know next week, so exciting!

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 pm

So once you find out what section you're in, you'll want to buy my books, right? :wink:

bacchus

New

Post by bacchus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm so glad the dress code is casual for Thursday... now I can wear all my tapout gear!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:49 am

bacchus wrote:I'm so glad the dress code is casual for Thursday... now I can wear all my tapout gear!

You know it. Let the law kids know who they should be afraid of. I'll be the one with the Couture affliction shirt and Mask tribute face paint.

DentMyers

New

Post by DentMyers » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 pm

You can get Herschel Walker's Tapout Gear in the Bookstore...I'm counting on somebody to make this happen

mbutterfly

New

Post by mbutterfly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Wait, when do we find out what section we are in? At orientation, correct?

bacchus

New

Post by bacchus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:51 pm

mbutterfly wrote:Wait, when do we find out what section we are in? At orientation, correct?
no, we'll find out via e-mail sometime in the next week!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dagobahdweller

New

Post by dagobahdweller » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Does anyone know when, or if, UGA will publish the employment statistics for the Class of 2009? I thought that this data was due by March 1 to the ABA; however, I've not been able to locate this information on the UGA law website. This is especially troubling after this article appeared on ATL: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/03/law-scho ... -students/

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm sure a lot of schools have sent out similar messages to alumni. UGA just got busted. To me, it's good to know that they're at least trying to help us find jobs in this sucky economy rather than just letting us just try to keep our heads above water. Georgia's job market is in the pits, no matter what school you attend.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Wondering about the professional dress code on Orientation Friday: is a pin striped suit with black or red shirt (+tie) fine, or does it generally have to be white? I never really wear white dress shirts.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:16 pm

If it's for the pics like they did last year...
It doesn't matter. Just look nice. I just wore a decent top and threw on my jacket for the pic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Ya it implies its mainly for the pictures. Thanks.

JesusSmarmia

New

Post by JesusSmarmia » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I know there has been some speculation regarding the size of our class. I was in the admissions office today and got an approximate number: 250, about 40 or so more than usual.

bta422

New

Post by bta422 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:23 pm

there are 3 sections, right? so that means each section has 80 ppl in it. man that seems like a lot

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Wondering about the professional dress code on Orientation Friday: is a pin striped suit with black or red shirt (+tie) fine, or does it generally have to be white? I never really wear white dress shirts.
Go and look at the pictures in the directory and see what looks good and what looks bad. White dress shirts seem to look bad, for example.
JesusSmarmia wrote:I know there has been some speculation regarding the size of our class. I was in the admissions office today and got an approximate number: 250, about 40 or so more than usual.
Thanks for finding out! I've been curious. That isn't as bad as I thought it might be, so I feel a little better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”