UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

crepesme wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
crepesme wrote:

I just noticed moose's post:

moose wrote:
I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

cry.....
Is this about scholarship/need-based aid availability, or about WL seats availability?

"Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected"

I guess it means more ppl than they expected want to attend UVA?
OK, point taken.
I only asked because the post was framed as a discussion of financial aid, and it appears that Trujillo's response was meant to address financial issues only. Therefore, if "more than expected" means something different in issues of financial aid than it does in issues of waitlist openings, we have something else altogether. I was just making sure. If "more than expected" is significant in a waitlist openings context only, I can't imagine why Trujillo would mention it in response to a request for money.

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:51 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
crepesme wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
crepesme wrote:

I just noticed moose's post:

moose wrote:
I wrote a letter to Dean Trujillo outlining my serious financial situation and requested some assistance,..I did this on the advice of the Fin Aid Director. Well,...I got a response this morning. Basically Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected and any adjustments would have to be made in May. He also said he'll keep my appeal and if they were under budget he will be back in touch with me.

cry.....
Is this about scholarship/need-based aid availability, or about WL seats availability?

"Dean Trujillo said UVA has received more seat deposits than expected"

I guess it means more ppl than they expected want to attend UVA?
OK, point taken.
I only asked because the post was framed as a discussion of financial aid, and it appears that Trujillo's response was meant to address financial issues only. Therefore, if "more than expected" means something different in issues of financial aid than it does in issues of waitlist openings, we have something else altogether. I was just making sure. If "more than expected" is significant in a waitlist openings context only, I can't imagine why Trujillo would mention it in response to a request for money.

I wonder why UVA always "got more deposit than they expected". It happened last year too. Why is UVA so popular with so many applicants? I don't think other T14s always got so many applicants and deposits, do they?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:01 pm

I guess even the reds are allowed to blatantly lie.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:02 pm

crepesme wrote:I wonder why UVA always "got more deposit than they expected". It happened last year too. Why is UVA so popular with so many applicants? I don't think other T14s always got so many applicants and deposits, do they?
I'll suggest two possibilities:

1) It's self-reinforcing demand. People see how competitive it is to get into UVA, so they're eager to attend there. That causes an uptick in deposits, which increases their yield unexpectedly, which causes them to make fewer acceptances each year, which shows people how competitive it is to get into UVA...

2) Beer and softball. If you're gonna go to a school in the MVP range, why not go to the one that's fun to go to?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
crepesme wrote:I wonder why UVA always "got more deposit than they expected". It happened last year too. Why is UVA so popular with so many applicants? I don't think other T14s always got so many applicants and deposits, do they?

1) It's self-reinforcing demand. People see how competitive it is to get into UVA, so they're eager to attend there. That causes an uptick in deposits, which increases their yield unexpectedly, which causes them to make fewer acceptances each year, which shows people how competitive it is to get into UVA...

2) Beer and softball. If you're gonna go to a school in the MVP range, why not go to the one that's fun to go to?
make sense......I don't know if it has been posted before, but what is UVA's first deposit deadline and what's the amount? If the amount is small, it can be somehow relieved....

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
crepesme wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

make sense......I don't know if it has been posted before, but what is UVA's first deposit deadline and what's the amount? If the amount is small, it can be somehow relieved....
First deposit should be $500 due by the end of this month.
I see. Thx. Ah, it is not a small amount. So "more deposit than they expected", erhhhhhhhhhh

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Pls correct me if I am wrong, I remember when going through the old posts, I found that last cycle UVA sent a bunch of emails around April 15 to release a lot of ppl from the waitlist. They haven't done it yet this year right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 pm

crepesme wrote: I wonder why UVA always "got more deposit than they expected". It happened last year too. Why is UVA so popular with so many applicants? I don't think other T14s always got so many applicants and deposits, do they?
I attribute this year's higher-than-expected yield to three factors:

1) Larger ED program - admitted more EDers before having a firm idea of how the regular applicant pool would respond.

2) New LRAP program - When making decisions, admissions didn't know what the federal program would look like and how prospective students would respond to a revamped LRAP. But, 'As Hulvey [Director of Financial Aid] said, “There’s a lot of interest in this” among prospective students.' http://www.lawweekly.org/?module=displa ... ormat=html

3) Beautiful weather on both ASW's - No joke here, I've heard that yield from people who visited on good-weather ASWs is substantially higher than for those who visit during bad weather. I understand this, and it isn't something that admissions could've anticipated when predicting yield for admissions decisions.

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:38 pm

crepesme wrote:Pls correct me if I am wrong, I remember when going through the old posts, I found that last cycle UVA sent a bunch of emails around April 15 to release a lot of ppl from the waitlist. They haven't done it yet this year right?
bump

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

crepesme wrote:
crepesme wrote:Pls correct me if I am wrong, I remember when going through the old posts, I found that last cycle UVA sent a bunch of emails around April 15 to release a lot of ppl from the waitlist. They haven't done it yet this year right?
bump
I don't think anyone here has a sure answer. Though if they were doing a massive release like that, I'd imagine people would've started posting a bunch of "Released from WL today :( " posts in this very thread, so the lack of such things suggests they haven't yet...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
crepesme wrote:
bump
I don't think anyone here has a sure answer. Though if they were doing a massive release like that, I'd imagine people would've started posting a bunch of "Released from WL today :( " posts in this very thread, so the lack of such things suggests they haven't yet...
From UVA's Waitlist FAQ page (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... itlist.htm)
When can I expect to hear something?
We will ask admitted applicants to make an initial tuition deposit in April if they wish to accept our offer of admission. By May 1, we should know whether we will make offers from the waiting list. If we have spaces available, we will begin making waiting-list offers immediately, and we will continue to make offers until places in the class have been filled. If we do not have places available after the initial confirmation deadline, we will not make offers until entering students notify us that they no longer intend to enroll. All entering students are asked to pay a second confirmation deposit by June 15, so it is possible that additional places in the class will become available at that time.

Once the class is filled, whether with those who are initially accepted, or with applicants accepted from the waiting list, we will notify some wait-listed applicants that the class is full and release them from the list. We will retain a smaller number of applicants on the waiting list throughout the summer months. If you do not hear from us, you may assume that you are still on the waiting list.

Surely, many of you have seen this already. And, they could have changed their dates according to changing facts. But I am expecting that those who are to be admitted or "released" will hear in the first week of May-ish.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Made my deposit today! :D The two ASWs (UVA and UCLA) that I attended really cemented it for me. Definitely excited!

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:36 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
crepesme wrote:
bump
Yeah. I know I'm paranoid. Maybe it is sth to cheer about that they haven't released ppl from the WL, which means currently it is not as over-enrolled as it was at this time last year.

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
crepesme wrote:
bump
From UVA's Waitlist FAQ page (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... itlist.htm)
When can I expect to hear something?
We will ask admitted applicants to make an initial tuition deposit in April if they wish to accept our offer of admission. By May 1, we should know whether we will make offers from the waiting list. If we have spaces available, we will begin making waiting-list offers immediately, and we will continue to make offers until places in the class have been filled. If we do not have places available after the initial confirmation deadline, we will not make offers until entering students notify us that they no longer intend to enroll. All entering students are asked to pay a second confirmation deposit by June 15, so it is possible that additional places in the class will become available at that time.

Once the class is filled, whether with those who are initially accepted, or with applicants accepted from the waiting list, we will notify some wait-listed applicants that the class is full and release them from the list. We will retain a smaller number of applicants on the waiting list throughout the summer months. If you do not hear from us, you may assume that you are still on the waiting list.

Surely, many of you have seen this already. And, they could have changed their dates according to changing facts. But I am expecting that those who are to be admitted or "released" will hear in the first week of May-ish.

I tried to go through LSN to check usually when they started to release ppl, only find out that it was April 15th last cycle.

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 pm

itsirtou wrote:Made my deposit today! :D The two ASWs (UVA and UCLA) that I attended really cemented it for me. Definitely excited!
Con!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Anyone noticed that there is a WL rejection today on LSN?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:04 am

crepesme wrote:Anyone noticed that there is a WL rejection today on LSN?
Yeah, I see that...
A URM too, with good numbers. Something out of the ordinary must have occurred. That seems odd.

crepesme

New

Post by crepesme » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:55 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
crepesme wrote:Anyone noticed that there is a WL rejection today on LSN?
Yeah, I see that...
A URM too, with good numbers. Something out of the ordinary must have occurred. That seems odd.
another wl rejection today didn't mention how it was sent by email or mail

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:23 pm

New admissions numbers out. 9% increase in applications from last year. Brings the total pool of applicants to 8,562.

This year, they only accepted 890 applicants, or 10.4% of the total pool. This is compared to accepting 1158 applicants, or 14.7% of the total pool, last year.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ssions.htm

Best of luck to those still on the waitlist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

astro1819 wrote:New admissions numbers out. 9% increase in applications from last year. Brings the total pool of applicants to 8,562.

This year, they only accepted 890 applicants, or 10.4% of the total pool. This is compared to accepting 1158 applicants, or 14.7% of the total pool, last year.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... ssions.htm

Best of luck to those still on the waitlist.
Interesting. My question is: how big is the waitlist, and what kind of response has admissions to date received from their admits? (deposits, signed agreements, etc)? That would give me a great sense of whether and how much movement there will be on this list starting a week or two from now.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:46 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Interesting. My question is: how big is the waitlist, and what kind of response has admissions to date received from their admits? (deposits, signed agreements, etc)? That would give me a great sense of whether and how much movement there will be on this list starting a week or two from now.
It's sounding now like there will be much less waitlist activity than they anticipated. Due to the significantly lower number of offers made than last year, they were expecting to underenroll and make up for it off the WL, but it now sounds like they may get enough deposits to fill up the class despite making fewer offers. They keep dropping their offer rate and accepted students just keep upping their matriculation rate. It's crazy.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Interesting. My question is: how big is the waitlist, and what kind of response has admissions to date received from their admits? (deposits, signed agreements, etc)? That would give me a great sense of whether and how much movement there will be on this list starting a week or two from now.
It's sounding now like there will be much less waitlist activity than they anticipated. Due to the significantly lower number of offers made than last year, they were expecting to underenroll and make up for it off the WL, but it now sounds like they may get enough deposits to fill up the class despite making fewer offers. They keep dropping their offer rate and accepted students just keep upping their matriculation rate. It's crazy.
Well, that's just not right. I wonder what the principal mechanism of it all is... perhaps admits are foregoing the lower schools with $$ (due to increased pressure to attend T-14), or maybe they are foregoing Penn and Chicago acceptances for $$ from UVA, or perhaps people have all decided to fall more in love with UVA than would normally be the case. I wouldn't blame those in the last group, should they exist; the town and campus are gorgeous. I might just move there and pretend I'm a law student there!

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Just got the email. Released from the WL. Oh wellz.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”