UVA 2010, RD Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crepesme

New

Re: UVA 2010, RD

Post by crepesme » Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 pm

plum wrote:
crepesme wrote: I have 170+, but not resident
gpa?

I'm an international student, not using 5 GPA format at all.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Tue May 04, 2010 7:44 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:I received an email from the admissions office. They are very over-enrolled despite having tried to accept conservatively, so much so that even if an abnormally large number of deposits withdraw they will still be over-enrolled. They will be releasing the waitlist over the course of the next week or so. As someone who very much wished to be accepted off the waitlist, this news really stings. Just thought all my fellow WLers would want to know.
Is this true for the entire wait list? I haven't received a release e-mail (yet...hopefully never lol), and Trujillo told me to check back in June. Why tell me to check back in June if he's gonna ding everyone this week?

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Integrity wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:I received an email from the admissions office. They are very over-enrolled despite having tried to accept conservatively, so much so that even if an abnormally large number of deposits withdraw they will still be over-enrolled. They will be releasing the waitlist over the course of the next week or so. As someone who very much wished to be accepted off the waitlist, this news really stings. Just thought all my fellow WLers would want to know.
Is this true for the entire wait list? I haven't received a release e-mail (yet...hopefully never lol), and Trujillo told me to check back in June. Why tell me to check back in June if he's gonna ding everyone this week?
He's probably trying to make sure he doesn't reject possible acceptances too early, but srsly, your chances of getting in now are beyond slim.
Gotcha. He's pretty sure he's got his prom date lined up, but just in case...lol.

Sorry to those released. Looks like even if I do stay on, I'll end up released sooner or later! BOO!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Thu May 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Got an email from one of the higher-ups in the Admissions Department asking me to give me a call if I had a moment. The person wasn't in when I called. I was originally an RD applicant who was placed on the WL. Any ideas what this could be about?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Thu May 06, 2010 4:28 pm

I think you're in man, congrats

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 pm

Wow, if pertristis with a 177 LSAT can barely get off the WL, what does that mean for everyone else? Did UVa seriously screw up admissions again? I guess their crazy ED process is coming back to bite them.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Wow, if pertristis with a 177 LSAT can barely get off the WL, what does that mean for everyone else? Did UVa seriously screw up admissions again? I guess their crazy ED process is coming back to bite them.
My guess: they need a few high LSATs to maintain their median, so they're starting from the highest on down. That could be good news for the mid-170s WLers...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 4:37 pm

pertristis wrote:Got an email from one of the higher-ups in the Admissions Department asking me to give me a call if I had a moment. The person wasn't in when I called. I was originally an RD applicant who was placed on the WL. Any ideas what this could be about?
Two possibilities I can imagine:

1) They will admit you.

2) They will offer you some kind of scholarship if you agree to defer for a year, and then admit you if you accept those conditions.

Either sounds promising to me. Good luck.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Thu May 06, 2010 4:42 pm

I can't imagine that would be the case. Isn't the school tremendously overenrolled right now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu May 06, 2010 4:51 pm

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 pm

pertristis wrote:I can't imagine that would be the case. Isn't the school tremendously overenrolled right now?
This is why I think a scholarship/deferral offer is more likely. However, they generally don't ask people to call to give them bad news. They do that through E-mail.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Well, we were sort of right with our predictions. I was told that if I applied ED, I'd have a spot available for me in the class of 2014. Unlike some other people who received the similar email, there was no mention of scholarship money.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri May 07, 2010 1:53 pm

pertristis wrote:Well, we were sort of right with our predictions. I was told that if I applied ED, I'd have a spot available for me in the class of 2014. Unlike some other people who received the similar email, there was no mention of scholarship money.
Wait. So they're going to make you reapply? :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
pertristis wrote:Well, we were sort of right with our predictions. I was told that if I applied ED, I'd have a spot available for me in the class of 2014. Unlike some other people who received the similar email, there was no mention of scholarship money.
Wait. So they're going to make you reapply? :shock:
Correct.

OandR

New

Post by OandR » Fri May 07, 2010 1:55 pm

They can't be serious.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 pm

I have knowledge of others who have received a similar email, were offered a deferral and a decent (~50k) scholarship. If that had been the offer, I would have been hard pressed to turn it down. While I'm seriously considering reapplying next year, without a scholarship offer from UVa, I'm much more inclined to blanket the T14 with a stellar application.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri May 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Those numbers are accurate. I had a very interesting cycle; other than GULC, I've been shut out of the T14. Then again, I applied überlate, and had a drastic change in my application.

I think that a really well-focused, early application next year could do wonders for my acceptances (and merit aid).

EDIT: It sure looks like I'm telling that the brains behind LSP. Whoops.
Last edited by pertristis on Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 2:33 pm

They are already trying to fill spots for the class of 2014? Is this standard for admissions offices? This doesn't bode well for the wait list this year, that's for sure...right?

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Integrity wrote:They are already trying to fill spots for the class of 2014? Is this standard for admissions offices? This doesn't bode well for the wait list this year, that's for sure...right?
It's doubtful that anyone will be taken off of the WL this year. As has been noted in this thread and elsewhere, UVa is woefully overenrolled this year. If anyone is taken off of the WL, it'll be in June. With that said, I almost think there's more of a chance of getting off of the WL at Princeton Law than UVa.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 2:46 pm

pertristis wrote:
Integrity wrote:They are already trying to fill spots for the class of 2014? Is this standard for admissions offices? This doesn't bode well for the wait list this year, that's for sure...right?
It's doubtful that anyone will be taken off of the WL this year. As has been noted in this thread and elsewhere, UVa is woefully overenrolled this year. If anyone is taken off of the WL, it'll be in June. With that said, I almost think there's more of a chance of getting off of the WL at Princeton Law than UVa.
Point well taken...

They've made two wait lists cuts so far, correct?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Fri May 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Anyone know how over enrolled they are?

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Integrity wrote:
pertristis wrote:
Point well taken...

At least. I was cut in one, and there's been at least one since.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 2:55 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
Integrity wrote:
pertristis wrote:
Point well taken...

At least. I was cut in one, and there's been at least one since.
I'm sorry... :/ What did the release e-mail say?

I have not been cut (yet), but my numbers bring new meaning to reverse splitter. I've really put myself out there for them, but if there's no space there's no space (and if there is space, there are certainly more impressive candidates, numerically speaking).

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Wow, to me that seems pretty insulting. I think you can do better than this. ED = possibly pay sticker $$$$. I agree that you should blanket the T14 next year if that's where you want to go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”