Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DeeCee

Silver

Re: Reverse-Splitters Unite! - The 2010 Reverse-Splitter Thread

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:In: UC Davis, UC Hastings, U Wash ($), BU, Cardozo, Pacific ($$$$), UVA, Minnesota
WL: UCLA, USC, Penn
Out: BC, Stanford, Cornell
hold: Northwestern
Comm Review: Boalt

D:
Aggie you got into UVA? Nice! But are you still leaning toward UW? I would go to UVA, but that's just my personal preference.
Yeah they took me off the wait-list and admitted me. I am not at all interested in going. I'd rather shove nails under my fingernails than ever live in the south, and I just don't believe UVA would offer me the same opportunity to practice on the west coast that UW does (not to mention the price tag difference). UW's 50% tuition reduction for veterans is just too much to beat. It was good for my ego to be admitted, but meh. I hate that entire geographic area.
How did you get accepted from the WL so early??? I'd love to know your secret!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:51 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:In: UC Davis, UC Hastings, U Wash ($), BU, Cardozo, Pacific ($$$$), UVA, Minnesota

D:
Aggie you got into UVA? Nice! But are you still leaning toward UW? I would go to UVA, but that's just my personal preference.
Yeah they took me off the wait-list and admitted me. I am not at all interested in going. I'd rather shove nails under my fingernails than ever live in the south, and I just don't believe UVA would offer me the same opportunity to practice on the west coast that UW does (not to mention the price tag difference). UW's 50% tuition reduction for veterans is just too much to beat. It was good for my ego to be admitted, but meh. I hate that entire geographic area.
No idea? I'd like to think it was a combination of my softs (they seemed to really love my military combat experience) and my GPA (4.10 LSAC). In actuality, who the hell knows what goes on in law school admissions.

How does BU accept me but BC ding me, when BU is many ranks higher with more stringent acceptance criteria?

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

D:
Yeah they took me off the wait-list and admitted me. I am not at all interested in going. I'd rather shove nails under my fingernails than ever live in the south, and I just don't believe UVA would offer me the same opportunity to practice on the west coast that UW does (not
to mention the price tag difference). UW's 50% tuition reduction for veterans is just too
much to beat. It was good for my ego to be admitted, but meh. I hate that entire
geographic area.

Maybe UVA will be better with the WL this year due to the lower amount of applications. But
yeah, 1/2 tuition at a school in an area you want to practice in is difficult to beat.

And BC is weird. They lean towards more conservative students as well I think. Some schools if they don't think you are a fit and therefore won't go to their school will WL or ding you.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
No idea? I'd like to think it was a combination of my softs (they seemed to really love my military combat experience) and my GPA (4.10 LSAC). In actuality, who the hell knows what goes on in law school admissions.

How does BU accept me but BC ding me, when BU is many ranks higher with more stringent acceptance criteria?
Did you write them a LOCI? I'm guessing not since you aren't too interested in the school. I'm thinking about writing them a LOCI, but I wrote a Why UVA right before they gave me the WL (to try and get them to make a decision quicker). So I feel like I could overdo it by sending a LOCI so soon.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:56 pm

How much more conservative can you get than a card-carrying member of a Taliban/Al-Qaeda destroying unit? Sheesh.

But yea in all seriousness, it is probably because I wrote my PS on diversity and how I learned I wanted to work with people while in the military. I can see how a Jesuit school would be like, "ew no". Same way I got WL'd at W&L, I suppose.

But, yeah, I mean... can you turn down ~$11,000 a year? UW has a really huge presence in Sea Tac and the PNW in general, and seems to do decently in California (not that I ever want to come back, this state is fucked up) and I don't really care about Big Law regardless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:57 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Did you write them a LOCI? I'm guessing not since you aren't too interested in the school. I'm thinking about writing them a LOCI, but I wrote a Why UVA right before they gave me the WL (to try and get them to make a decision quicker). So I feel like I could overdo it by sending a LOCI so soon.
Actually, I did. I did so because, at the time, I was very rank-aware (read: rank whore) and just wanted the best rank #. In retrospect, if I had to apply over again, I would totally not send a lot of the apps that I did just because I really do not want to go there (UIUC comes to mind).

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

It sounds like some reverse-splitters are having awesome cycles!

Aggie, stop complaining about BC's rejection! I would love to have just ONE of them accept me (especially BU).

And I didn't even know you got into UVa, that's really awesome, whether you go or not! Congrats!

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Actually, I did. I did so because, at the time, I was very rank-aware (read: rank whore) and just wanted the best rank #. In retrospect, if I had to apply over again, I would totally not send a lot of the apps that I did just because I really do not want to go there (UIUC comes to mind).
I want to write a LOCI, but I'm not sure what to include since I have written a Why UVA already. Plus, I kind of don't want to give a grade update because I made my first B in grad school, so my grad GPA actually went down from a 4.0. It's kind of tricky here.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:03 pm

I ED to UVA so I didn't think I needed to write an LOCI. Now I am thinking I should do one. It would be cycle over for me if I got in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Gemini wrote:It sounds like some reverse-splitters are having awesome cycles!

Aggie, stop complaining about BC's rejection! I would love to have just ONE of them accept me (especially BU).

And I didn't even know you got into UVa, that's really awesome, whether you go or not! Congrats!
Heh, yeah I know Gem I'm sorry for complaining about it. I hate to be one of "those" people (cough*philly*cough ;)).

I haven't been posting much on TLS. I guess I kinda figure my cycle's over with the UW acceptance. Hubby and I are flying up there at the end of next week to check out Seattle and look at apartments. He's thrilled b/c UW Pharmacy is one of the best schools in the country, and they have their pharmacy students take classes with their medical school students (and their med school is always in the top 10 medical schools, and has the #1 primary care program as ranked by USNWR) so yeah... good all around.

Snowmageddon is also making me lean realllllly far away from anywhere away from the west coast D:

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 pm

I suppose I belong here. I'm Gem's numbers twin with a 3.82/164.

Accepted to William and Mary with scholly on 01/19! Still waiting on Temple, BC, BU, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. Also threw apps to Vandy, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, and Georgetown (PT), even though I'm aware they're super reaches.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:18 pm

mettasutta wrote:I suppose I belong here. I'm Gem's numbers twin with a 3.82/164.

Accepted to William and Mary with scholly on 01/19! Still waiting on Temple, BC, BU, Notre Dame, and WUSTL. Also threw apps to Vandy, Cornell, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, and Georgetown (PT), even though I'm aware they're super reaches.
Hey! :mrgreen:

When did you send in your apps to Vandy, Cornell, etc?

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Gemini wrote:
mettasutta wrote:I suppose I belong here. I'm Gem's numbers twin with a 3.82/164.

Hey! :mrgreen:

When did you send in your apps to Vandy, Cornell, etc?
I sent them all in early to mid-January.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swimmergirl1303

Bronze

Post by swimmergirl1303 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Gemini wrote:It sounds like some reverse-splitters are having awesome cycles!

Heh, yeah I know Gem I'm sorry for complaining about it. I hate to be one of "those" people (cough*philly*cough ;)).

I haven't been posting much on TLS. I guess I kinda figure my cycle's over with the UW acceptance. Hubby and I are flying up there at the end of next week to check out Seattle and look at apartments. He's thrilled b/c UW Pharmacy is one of the best schools in the country, and they have their pharmacy students take classes with their medical school students (and their med school is always in the top 10 medical schools, and has the #1 primary care program as ranked by USNWR) so yeah... good all around.

Snowmageddon is also making me lean realllllly far away from anywhere away from the west coast D:

That's so exciting Aggie! Seattle is gorgeous! Do you mind PMing me what you included in your LOCI to UVA? I would love some suggestions! :)

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:00 pm

*sigh* I'm feeling supremely shitty with each day that goes by without a BU or at least BC acceptance. Am losing all hope.

Sadness. :cry:

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Rev. splitter love at BU!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 am

subtle wrote:Rev. splitter love at BU!
CONGRATS!

Ps Gemini I hope you get an acceptance from BU or BC very soon!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Bump!

Well, the ding at Boalt off committee review today pretty much seals my cycle, unless Northwestern sweeps in and takes me off Hold, I will be taking UW @ 50% off (11k a year, ohhh baby).

How're the rest of you guys doing?

lilliea

New

Post by lilliea » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Quick update: most of my responses have been dings lately, but I did get into McGill up north, which I'm extremely happy about. Congrats to aggie and all who have gotten some amazing acceptances!

mikstew

New

Post by mikstew » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 pm

lilliea wrote:Quick update: most of my responses have been dings lately, but I did get into McGill up north, which I'm extremely happy about. Congrats to aggie and all who have gotten some amazing acceptances!
McGill is a good school, arguably one of the top law schools in Canada alongside York and UBC. Congrats.

I'm a rev splitter with 3.9/165 and I only made two apps, one to Berkeley and one to SLS. UR since 1/25 and not a peep since from either one D:

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm

mikstew wrote:
lilliea wrote:Quick update: most of my responses have been dings lately, but I did get into McGill up north, which I'm extremely happy about. Congrats to aggie and all who have gotten some amazing acceptances!
McGill is a good school, arguably one of the top law schools in Canada alongside York and UBC. Congrats.

I'm a rev splitter with 3.9/165 and I only made two apps, one to Berkeley and one to SLS. UR since 1/25 and not a peep since from either one D:
you applied only to 2 of the 3 most selective schools in the country with a 165? Are you a URM?
If not, then no offense but both of those are long shots. Are you planning on retaking if you get dinged at both?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Waitlisted at Penn. A little disappointed. It was one of my top choices when I started this whole process, but I'm not sure I would go now, so I don't think I'll be accepting the invitation to the waitlist. P.S. Who invites you to the waitlist?

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 pm

subtle wrote:Waitlisted at Penn. A little disappointed. It was one of my top choices when I started this whole process, but I'm not sure I would go now, so I don't think I'll be accepting the invitation to the waitlist. P.S. Who invites you to the waitlist?
NYU > Penn

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Gotti wrote:
subtle wrote:Waitlisted at Penn. A little disappointed. It was one of my top choices when I started this whole process, but I'm not sure I would go now, so I don't think I'll be accepting the invitation to the waitlist. P.S. Who invites you to the waitlist?
NYU > Penn
That's why I don't want to put myself on the WL for Penn.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 am

Help! I know that my decision is ultimately up to me, but I like you guys and would like your input:

Barring a game changer (Yale, Harvard, Columbia--which are far-fetched, I know) I am leaning heavily toward NYU. But, I just got my acceptance packet from BU in the mail, and they're offering $35K per year. I don't really want to go to school for money. (I turned down where I really wanted to go for undergrad in order to go to Michigan because they gave me money, and, while I didn't hate Michigan, I regret my choice.) But, I don't know how to justify turning down money.

Thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”