Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Send a "I'll withdraw everywhere immediately" LOCI. I heard it helps.
I almost did this with my first NU LOCI (sent after being placed on hold). Still trying to figure out whether it's worth the binding implications if I might not be admitted until the end of summer (if at all, of course). Maybe if I said something along the lines of "if I am admitted off the hold list, I will withdraw everywhere immediately," and that way it would isolate it to the end of this month, at the latest. Thoughts?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Nightrunner wrote:How did I not know about this thread?
Yeah dude, unite with us.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Send a "I'll withdraw everywhere immediately" LOCI. I heard it helps.
I almost did this with my first NU LOCI (sent after being placed on hold). Still trying to figure out whether it's worth the binding implications if I might not be admitted until the end of summer (if at all, of course). Maybe if I said something along the lines of "if I am admitted off the hold list, I will withdraw everywhere immediately," and that way it would isolate it to the end of this month, at the latest. Thoughts?
Yea I'd do that.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Yea I'd do that.

+100

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Yea I'd do that.
Might be doing that, then. I'm glad I could get some advice here--I didn't want to drag my shame into the "BP picks your law school" thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 am

I did the "i'll withdraw from everywhere else immediately and deposit with you" thing in my LOCI to CLS... but I'd like to see what the financial aid packages look like from both CLS and NYU before I pull that trigger...

Jay W. Weatherman

New

Post by Jay W. Weatherman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm

-
Last edited by Jay W. Weatherman on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:So it looks like at long last my cycle will finally be ending (at least assuming my NYU waitlist/reject finally shows up). I figured I'd check back in to the splitter thread to share my final results if they'll be helpful to any future splitters.

Numbers: 3.36 / 174

Columbia -- W/L
Chicago -- Accepted
NYU -- ? (W/L)
Penn -- W/L
Virginia -- W/L
Michigan -- W/L
Northwestern -- W/L
Cornell -- Accepted
Georgetown -- W/L
Vanderbilt -- Accepted
UCLA -- W/L
"And that's why you always apply broadly."

Jay W. Weatherman

New

Post by Jay W. Weatherman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 pm

-
Last edited by Jay W. Weatherman on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Jay W. Weatherman wrote:So it looks like at long last my cycle will finally be ending (at least assuming my NYU waitlist/reject finally shows up). I figured I'd check back in to the splitter thread to share my final results if they'll be helpful to any future splitters.

Columbia -- W/L
Chicago -- Accepted
NYU -- ? (W/L)
Penn -- W/L
Virginia -- W/L
Michigan -- W/L
Northwestern -- W/L
Cornell -- Accepted
Georgetown -- W/L
Vanderbilt -- Accepted
UCLA -- W/L
"And that's why you always apply broadly."
Awesome.

Very true as well, especially since I was hesitant to apply to Chicago because I figured with my GPA I had very little chance of getting in. I was very happy to be proved wrong.
Congrats, you win at law school admissions.

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

My results are in my profile, but awesome job Jay.

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:45 am

Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Numbers: 171 LSAT, 3.37 GPA, 6 years out of undergrad; left medical school during 2nd year (long story) having passed everything up to that point (all P/F).

Main career interests: public interest or government, health law, mental disability law

Current status...

Accepted:
Pacific McGeorge (with full tuition $$$) - tentatively committed, most likely will stick with it over any other regional school
Houston (withdrew 4/14)
Seattle University (will withdraw, form has not yet arrived)

Waitlist:
Georgetown (special preferred) - first choice
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall

DarkwingDick

New

Post by DarkwingDick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am

DrPlacebo wrote:Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Numbers: 171 LSAT, 3.37 GPA, 6 years out of undergrad; left medical school during 2nd year (long story) having passed everything up to that point (all P/F).

Main career interests: public interest or government, health law, mental disability law

Current status...

Accepted:
Pacific McGeorge (with full tuition $$$) - tentatively committed, most likely will stick with it over any other regional school
Houston (withdrew 4/14)

Waitlist:
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall
Surprised at the NU deny.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:20 am

DarkwingDick wrote:
DrPlacebo wrote:Finally got around to signing up after lurking for most of the year. This is getting really nerve-wracking.

Current status...

Accepted:
Houston (withdrew 4/14)

Waitlist:
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall
Wow, brutal cycle. Really.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:

Current status...

Accepted:
Houston (withdrew 4/14)

Waitlist:
UT-Austin
American

Denied:
Northwestern
UCLA

No decision:
Harvard
Chicago
Indiana-Bloomington
Loyola-Chicago
Seton Hall
He may not have work experience.

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:40 pm

Mostly correct. One year work experience between undergrad and med school (and a summer jobs during undergrad), three year gap after leaving med school in which I have been taking night classes (in public health) for some of the time but not working (initially for health reasons, later the economy). Also, sent out all my applications relatively late in the cycle, between Jan. 20 and Mar. 1.

That said, I ran the raw numbers (GPA and LSAT only) through the predictor, and it said NU was probably a deny even without other considerations. I'm not really that disappointed - let's just say you can shoot me if I ever accept a BigLaw job. Why is it surprising - lots of splitters getting into NU this year?

Edit: forgot to mention, EXTREMELY risky personal statement. I figured that it was worth it because I'd never want to go to any school that saw it as a negative.
Last edited by DrPlacebo on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

gilly

New

Post by gilly » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Columbia -- W/L
Chicago -- Accepted
NYU -- ? (W/L)
Penn -- W/L
Virginia -- W/L
Michigan -- W/L
Northwestern -- W/L
Cornell -- Accepted
Georgetown -- W/L
Vanderbilt -- Accepted
UCLA -- W/L
with very similar numbers (175/3.37)
Accepted: Chicago
Waitlisted: Duke, Michigan, Virgina, Northwestern (held then withdrew), Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, UC Hastings, Notre Dame, USC
Rejected: Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, Texas

Still waiting on NYU, Harvard and Cornell but at this point I'm also just assuming rejections (maybe a waitlist)

Funny the similarity with Chicago-- maybe they are more splitter-friendly than people think!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dimsdale

New

Post by Dimsdale » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well

DarkwingDick

New

Post by DarkwingDick » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:07 pm

DrPlacebo wrote:Mostly correct. One year work experience between undergrad and med school (and a summer jobs during undergrad), three year gap after leaving med school in which I have been taking night classes (in public health) for some of the time but not working (initially for health reasons, later the economy). Also, sent out all my applications relatively late in the cycle, between Jan. 20 and Mar. 1.

That said, I ran the raw numbers (GPA and LSAT only) through the predictor, and it said NU was probably a deny even without other considerations. I'm not really that disappointed - let's just say you can shoot me if I ever accept a BigLaw job. Why is it surprising - lots of splitters getting into NU this year?
Traditionally, one of the most splitter friendly schools. That said, they also place heavy emphasis on work experience.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Dimsdale wrote:Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

applied late Jan/early feb due to blowing the sep LSAT. NW is the one I want, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. In hindsight, should have hit the t20-30 range a little bit. Oh well
Can you take June Lsat hit 172 and ED to NW. I'd bet you'd get it.

Dimsdale

New

Post by Dimsdale » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Dimsdale wrote:Non-trad applicant here. 170, 3.0 GPA. 15 years out of undergrad. Good work experience that I thought would help but hasn't yet (military officer, self-employed for a while, etc.)
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

Can you take June Lsat hit 172 and ED to NW. I'd bet you'd get it.
I PT'ed in the 172-173 range, but I'm not sure I want to put it off another year. I'll be 37 this year. It's already getting hard enough to drink against 20-somethings. If I wait much longer, I'll have to be wheeled to class by my nurse.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

Oh man. Now I'm going to have to go home and watch the Pirana Brothers episode ...

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm

I don't believe I've actually every posted in this thread. 177/3.42.

In: GULC (off of the SPWL), UIUC, Depaul, Kent, Santa Clara
WL: UVa (like everyone else), Fordham, GW, BU, W&M
Held: Cardozo, WUSL
Reject: Michigan, Boalt, UMN, NU, Columbia, Dook
Pending: Penn, Cornell, Vandy, UCLA, NYU (though I assume a WL [or reject] letter is currently in the mail)

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

pertristis wrote:I don't believe I've actually every posted in this thread. 177/3.42.

In: GULC (off of the SPWL), UIUC, Depaul, Kent, Santa Clara
WL: UVa (like everyone else), Fordham, GW, BU, W&M
Held: Cardozo, WUSL
Reject: Michigan, Boalt, UMN, NU, Columbia, Dook
Pending: Penn, Cornell, Vandy, UCLA, NYU (though I assume a WL [or reject] letter is currently in the mail)
Wow. Did you apply in March or something?

If it doesn't get better, you could always just reapply next year and ED to NYU or Penn or something.

Dimsdale

New

Post by Dimsdale » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 pm

pertristis wrote:
Stetson-full ride
UF - admitted
FSU - admitted
UCLA - waitlisted
UVA - denied
Mich - denied
GULC - denied
Northwestern - applied
Penn - applied
Cornell - applied

Oh man. Now I'm going to have to go home and watch the Pirana Brothers episode ...
Not to hijack the thread, but Amazon had a gold box deal on the series - I paid 49.99

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”