The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayingclassy

New

Re: The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party.

Post by stayingclassy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:06 am

gigm09 wrote:Just declined my offer of admission that I got off of the waitlist last week. One more spot for y'all.
Enjoy NYU!

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:27 am

gigm09 wrote:Just declined my offer of admission that I got off of the waitlist last week. One more spot for y'all.

not

New

Post by not » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:57 pm

anyone else get the email?

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:02 pm

not wrote:anyone else get the email?
WHAT EMAIL

not

New

Post by not » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:03 pm

email from Jayme asking if you're still interested? I'll pm you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:08 pm

They're drawing from that WL quite heavily...Either the yield's awful or they failed to accept enough people off the bat.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:16 pm

You guys... I have to say, I'm a little offended by not receiving this email...

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 pm

dresden doll wrote:They're drawing from that WL quite heavily...Either the yield's awful or they failed to accept enough people off the bat.
I dunno if I would call their yield "awful" but it is the lowest out of the T14...excluding Duke and Cornell (and maybe GTown).

I guess I should just say lowest of its peers.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:32 pm

zero1 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:They're drawing from that WL quite heavily...Either the yield's awful or they failed to accept enough people off the bat.
I dunno if I would call their yield "awful" but it is the lowest out of the T14...excluding Duke and Cornell.
That's pretty pathetic. They've been bullshitting a lot this year, though - holding/WL ing en masse. I wouldn't be surprised if they overestimated their yield by admitting too few people up front. No one seemed to be getting in before February.

Granted, I didn't follow it closely since I didn't apply till late in the game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:
zero1 wrote:
I dunno if I would call their yield "awful" but it is the lowest out of the T14...excluding Duke and Cornell.
That's pretty pathetic. They've been bullshitting a lot this year, though - holding/WL ing en masse. I wouldn't be surprised if they overestimated their yield by admitting too few people up front. No one seemed to be getting in before February.

Granted, I didn't follow it closely since I didn't apply till late in the game.

Edited my post a little. It's not that bad.

Also, remember their new web-based application status system. Maybe that could have slowed things a bit. Then again, NYU took longer and they don't have a system like that. But NYU also receives more applications, I'm sure.

mmd2012

New

Post by mmd2012 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 am

Can someone pm me that email as well? I am hoping I didnt get it because there is no doubt in their minds about whether or not I am still interested, but somehow I doubt that greatly...

SR1313

New

Post by SR1313 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:15 pm

I got the call too. OMG!!!! I told her I would almost certainly enroll. USC has been good to me, but Chicago was always among my top choices.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 am

SR1313 wrote:I got the call too. OMG!!!! I told her I would almost certainly enroll. USC has been good to me, but Chicago was always among my top choices.
Congratulations to you!!

Also, in case anyone is interested, UChicago Law's Class of 2009 graduation is today...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gigm09

New

Post by gigm09 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am

Thought I would post this since some folks PM'd me about how I withdrew and why I did so.

So I withdrew on Wednesday using the online form. I got a call from Anne Perry a few hours later. She said she was very surprised and pretty much asked why would I ever decline their offer.

I told her that I was planning on possibly going into government work and so a good LRAP program was important to me. I told her I was very interested in Chicago but had not looked into their LRAP until I was accepted and I was afraid it would not give me the same security or flexibility as NYUs. She seemed taken aback by this. She said how is theirs not as good as NYUs? She told me they don't make you pay it back. I said I know that, that is the point of all LRAP programs. She played like she knew nothing about how their LRAP compared to others.

I explained the differences to her and she sounded real sad. She asked if it was OK if she spoke to the financial aid office to make sure I was understanding their LRAP correctly and get back with me. I said sure. She never called me back.

The whole conversation was real awkward and lasted about 10 minutes.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:48 am

gigm09 wrote:Thought I would post this since some folks PM'd me about how I withdrew and why I did so.

So I withdrew on Wednesday using the online form. I got a call from Anne Perry a few hours later. She said she was very surprised and pretty much asked why would I ever decline their offer.

I told her that I was planning on possibly going into government work and so a good LRAP program was important to me. I told her I was very interested in Chicago but had not looked into their LRAP until I was accepted and I was afraid it would not give me the same security or flexibility as NYUs. She seemed taken aback by this. She said how is theirs not as good as NYUs? She told me they don't make you pay it back. I said I know that, that is the point of all LRAP programs. She played like she knew nothing about how their LRAP compared to others.

I explained the differences to her and she sounded real sad. She asked if it was OK if she spoke to the financial aid office to make sure I was understanding their LRAP correctly and get back with me. I said sure. She never called me back.

That sounds really, really weird.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 am

It sounds like Chicago is either really behind, or really hurting on yield this year (or both).

First batch of WL --> accepts came out first week after the deposit deadline and have been coming in (not small) waves every week thereafter.

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:23 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:It sounds like Chicago is either really behind, or really hurting on yield this year (or both).

First batch of WL --> accepts came out first week after the deposit deadline and have been coming in (not small) waves every week thereafter.
To be fair, Chicago was also admitting people from the regular (i.e., non-WL) applicant pool well into May. Word is that their applications were up 10% and I think that ITE no one knows how many of those increased applicants will actually come.

I would say that I think Chicago moreso than CLS or NYU has to be careful about over-enrolling, because they're smaller and -- not being HYS -- their yield calculations are more difficult than Yale or Stanford (the similarly-sized schools in the T6).

But it is interesting that you got this call, and I don't envy gigm the awkward call. If you needed any validation -- your assessment re: LRAP is spot on in terms of it not being nearly as generous as NYU's. Knowing Chicago, I'm almost entirely sure that this is by design -- to eliminate the moral hazard that exists at other schools with LRAP (e.g., I have a friend who could have her parents pay her way through law school but didn't because she figured she could just get LRAP and have the school pay it back) but also b/c Chicago isn't the wealthiest of schools.

I also get the sense that Perry just may invest more personally in applications than other deans do? Which may not be a bad thing... But that's entering into the terrain of rank speculation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Makes me wish I'd withdrawn to see if I'd been offered more money that way (happened with UCLA)...it really bothers me how small my scholarship is.
Last edited by dresden doll on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR1313

New

Post by SR1313 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm in :)

seeker63

New

Post by seeker63 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:32 am

gigm09 wrote:Thought I would post this since some folks PM'd me about how I withdrew and why I did so.

Jeebus. And I thought the admissions staff struggled to fill the class last year. Sounds like this year is even worse.

It's a great school, enroll!

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:42 pm

curiouser wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:It sounds like Chicago is either really behind, or really hurting on yield this year (or both).

To be fair, Chicago was also admitting people from the regular (i.e., non-WL) applicant pool well into May. Word is that their applications were up 10% and I think that ITE no one knows how many of those increased applicants will actually come.

I would say that I think Chicago moreso than CLS or NYU has to be careful about over-enrolling, because they're smaller and -- not being HYS -- their yield calculations are more difficult than Yale or Stanford (the similarly-sized schools in the T6).

But it is interesting that you got this call, and I don't envy gigm the awkward call. If you needed any validation -- your assessment re: LRAP is spot on in terms of it not being nearly as generous as NYU's. Knowing Chicago, I'm almost entirely sure that this is by design -- to eliminate the moral hazard that exists at other schools with LRAP (e.g., I have a friend who could have her parents pay her way through law school but didn't because she figured she could just get LRAP and have the school pay it back) but also b/c Chicago isn't the wealthiest of schools.

I also get the sense that Perry just may invest more personally in applications than other deans do? Which may not be a bad thing... But that's entering into the terrain of rank speculation.

I've heard this quite a bit and it's a tad surprising given their generous undergraduate endowment. Does the law school get shortchanged in university fund allocation?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm

chicago's endowment doesn't go as far as it might. a lot of it is tied up in real-estate. they have a high grad:undergrad ratio so income isn't as high as it might be. not sure that their giving is as high as some schools though I don't have any hard data to back that up.

historically, chicago started with the country's largest endowment, but didn't work on building it very well. there were long periods of low alumni giving and involvement and poor investment in physical plant.

in any case, chicago, despite its endowment, has never acted like a very rich place. and of course, it, like most schools, has been buffeted by the current financial crisis.

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:Makes me wish I'd withdrawn to see if I'd offered more money that way (happened with UCLA)...it really bothers me how small my scholarship is.
well, at least you not man with small penis. imagine it if you has small penis and small scholarship then you will have little money to make little penis feel happy. sad sad. small vienna sausage in you pant makes me sad sad. but then you are woman, so maybe you find man with large money to pay for you bill or maybe he has big penis to makes you not remember the bill. very very big penis make everything better. sigh, if only the timothy geithner had the mandingo.

you know, i can makes you bill go away, sexy. :wink:

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:59 pm

curiouser wrote:chicago's endowment doesn't go as far as it might. a lot of it is tied up in real-estate. they have a high grad:undergrad ratio so income isn't as high as it might be. not sure that their giving is as high as some schools though I don't have any hard data to back that up.

historically, chicago started with the country's largest endowment, but didn't work on building it very well. there were long periods of low alumni giving and involvement and poor investment in physical plant.

in any case, chicago, despite its endowment, has never acted like a very rich place. and of course, it, like most schools, has been buffeted by the current financial crisis.

Some of us were introduced to that frugality the hard way. Interestingly, Duke lost 2 billion since the downturn and seems to have become more generous a la merit money. Then again, Duke has a significantly lower yield.
:sigh:

phillygimp

New

Post by phillygimp » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:03 pm

I got in off the waitlist on the 2nd, but declined this week. Hope that gives those of you still waiting some more hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”