The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MissMaroon

Bronze

Re: The Official UCHICAGO Waitlist Party.

Post by MissMaroon » Mon May 11, 2009 5:38 pm

chłopak wrote:Ha! I feel the same way. For now, I am moving forward with another school. However, my younger brother, having deferred from last year, is already committed to attending UChicago Law this fall. I'd love to join him, but we'll see.

Needless to say, it will sting if my little brother gets into UChicago, but I don't! :)
Aww, that's cute that your brother is going and you want to be there together! Hope you get in! :D

hmlee

Bronze

Post by hmlee » Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 pm

MissMaroon wrote:A little story for everyone:

Yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from a 773 number (the other digits were clearly U of C #s too). I literally stopped breathing.

"Hello. May I speak with ________ _________?"
"Yes, this is ________.................."
"Great! I'm calling from the Senior Class Gift Committee to see if you're still interested in donating!"

.... FML.

When I saw that number on my caller ID, I got chills. I was still shaking 15 minutes after the call ended. IF I do actually ever get THE CALL, I worry that I might have a heart attack. Would Chicago consider me unfit for the stresses of the lawyerly life if I peace out while Ann Perry's congratulating me? :?
I fully support a boycott of Alumni Weekend and the Senior Class Gift Committee if you like... ;)

knownot

New

Post by knownot » Mon May 11, 2009 6:18 pm

How many of you are still waiting for any kind of decision? I don't understand what is taking them so long to reject me.

curiouser

New

Post by curiouser » Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 pm

still complete.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 pm

hmlee wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:A little story for everyone:

Yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from a 773 number (the other digits were clearly U of C #s too). I literally stopped breathing.

"Hello. May I speak with ________ _________?"
"Yes, this is ________.................."
"Great! I'm calling from the Senior Class Gift Committee to see if you're still interested in donating!"

.... FML.

When I saw that number on my caller ID, I got chills. I was still shaking 15 minutes after the call ended. IF I do actually ever get THE CALL, I worry that I might have a heart attack. Would Chicago consider me unfit for the stresses of the lawyerly life if I peace out while Ann Perry's congratulating me? :?
I fully support a boycott of Alumni Weekend and the Senior Class Gift Committee if you like... ;)
YES, that's what I like to hear! Stick it to The Man!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TrampsLikeU$

New

Post by TrampsLikeU$ » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 am

reminiscent wrote:has anyone else received an email from one of the assistant deans, notifying you that they are reviewing a small batch of applications tomorrow from the waitlist, and that she wants to bring forth your file for review by the committee and wanted to gauge your continued interest in u of c? i'm wondering how many ppl have gotten this email, and if it's something worth getting excited over.
Got this today too, and I hadn't even gotten the waitlist snail mail letter yet (it arrived later today). I would assume that it means if you reply you have a really good shot at getting in tomorrow. They're just trying to keep up their yield.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue May 12, 2009 11:01 am

TrampsLikeU$ wrote:
reminiscent wrote:has anyone else received an email from one of the assistant deans, notifying you that they are reviewing a small batch of applications tomorrow from the waitlist, and that she wants to bring forth your file for review by the committee and wanted to gauge your continued interest in u of c? i'm wondering how many ppl have gotten this email, and if it's something worth getting excited over.
Got this today too, and I hadn't even gotten the waitlist snail mail letter yet (it arrived later today). I would assume that it means if you reply you have a really good shot at getting in tomorrow. They're just trying to keep up their yield.
Tramp, would you consider taking their offer?

sp003k

New

Post by sp003k » Tue May 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Anyone heard anything today? I was in the WL group that was being re-reviewed today.

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

sp003k wrote:Anyone heard anything today? I was in the WL group that was being re-reviewed today.
If you're going to hear from them today, it'll prob be between 3 and 6pm, so just sit tight! And good luck :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TrampsLikeU$

New

Post by TrampsLikeU$ » Tue May 12, 2009 4:22 pm

MissMaroon wrote:
TrampsLikeU$ wrote:
Tramp, would you consider taking their offer?
No, Ann Perry called me today to talk to me about it again, and I decided not to take it.

Sp003k, I don't think you'll hear today- I talked to her at 12 and it seemed like she was taking the batch to the committee today and making the offers tomorrow and Thursday. She offered to give me until tomorrow to decide if I wanted to take it, since she was sending some files to committee today and some tomorrow. And I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too much, but she was talking to me as if I was already unofficially in and the committee thing was just one last check. She even asked me where else I was looking and how much money Columbia had offered me and stuff.

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm

HOLY SHIT IM IN!

chłopak

New

Post by chłopak » Tue May 12, 2009 5:06 pm

reminiscent wrote:HOLY SHIT IM IN!
Congrats! That's awesome. :)

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 pm

reminiscent wrote:HOLY SHIT IM IN!
congrats! first decision, or were you waitlisted?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reminiscent

New

Post by reminiscent » Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm

asdf
Last edited by reminiscent on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmd2012

New

Post by mmd2012 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

alright, what do people think is going on here with the Chicago waitlist? I was hold -> waitlist and it looks like none of us have been moved from waitlist to a final decision. Are we all stuck in limbo or are they going to just eventually tell us there are no spots left in the class? Thoughts? Opinions? Insight?

chłopak

New

Post by chłopak » Thu May 21, 2009 5:15 pm

mmd2012 wrote:alright, what do people think is going on here with the Chicago waitlist? I was hold -> waitlist and it looks like none of us have been moved from waitlist to a final decision. Are we all stuck in limbo or are they going to just eventually tell us there are no spots left in the class? Thoughts? Opinions? Insight?
Now that I am officially on the UChicago waiting list, I can post on this thread without feeling like an imposter. :)

Looking at UChicago's WL movement in 2008 (as per LSN), most of the "WL -> Accepted" movement took place in two periods: 5/1 to 5/9; and 5/19 to 6/7. Here, you can check it out yourself:

http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc

mmd2012

New

Post by mmd2012 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:05 pm

chłopak wrote:
mmd2012 wrote:alright, what do people think is going on here with the Chicago waitlist? I was hold -> waitlist and it looks like none of us have been moved from waitlist to a final decision. Are we all stuck in limbo or are they going to just eventually tell us there are no spots left in the class? Thoughts? Opinions? Insight?
Now that I am officially on the UChicago waiting list, I can post on this thread without feeling like an imposter. :)

Looking at UChicago's WL movement in 2008 (as per LSN), most of the "WL -> Accepted" movement took place in two periods: 5/1 to 5/9; and 5/19 to 6/7. Here, you can check it out yourself:

http://chicago.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... order=desc
thats some good information about the waitlist at chicago, thanks for that. I just wonder how much of this years cycle is similar to last year. it seems like chicago is behind where they were last year, as there are still some people who do not have any decision at all. we will see i guess, i hope I hear something soon as this has been dragging on since December for me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

noquieromas

New

Post by noquieromas » Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 pm

I can’t belive I’m writing this, but … I’m in! I was put on hold in early February and wrote the essay. Then I was put on the waitlist with seemingly the rest of the hold group in April. I submitted a LOCI a week and a half ago.

Dean Perry called me on Friday to discuss my interest in Chicago. Since it’s long been a top choice for me and I’ve done my homework on the school (thanks TLS!) I was able to avoid hyperventilating (until I ended the phone call).

Based on my experiences combined with those above, the following appears to be true about the waitlist procedure at Chicago (with some of my own unsolicited advice thrown in):

1. They’re definitely very sensitive about yield. I wrote a fairly detailed LOCI and Dean Perry still asked me to explain my specific interest in Chicago. If you’re the type to tend to get nervous on the phone, you might want to work on your talking points because I was not expecting the call.

2. If she calls you and you make your interest clear, the whole spiel about sending “a few files to the committee” appears to be more or less a formality. I got the first call Friday and was told she would call Tuesday (today) if I got past the committee. You can tell she’s a lawyer – she phrased it in a way to strongly suggest that I was already in without confirming it outright.

3. They’re reading the LOCIs. She referenced mine in our initial conversation. It helps if you have something new or unique to say about why Chicago is a good fit for you. In fact, if you’re on the WL and *haven’t* written a LOCI, you’re probably hurting yourself. I’d be happy to PM my LOCI to anyone who’s interested.

Good luck to the rest of you on the WL! I hope there are a bunch more acceptances coming!

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue May 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Congratulations! I'd love to read your LOCI if you can PM it to me!

Thank you so much for all that valuable info :D

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm joining the party. Wooooooooooooooooo!

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I'm joining the party. Wooooooooooooooooo!
Oh HEY :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:00 pm

MissMaroon wrote:Congratulations! I'd love to read your LOCI if you can PM it to me!

MissM, why the hell have you not been admitted yet?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm

MissMaroon wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I'm joining the party. Wooooooooooooooooo!
Oh HEY :)

Heyyyyy!

MissMaroon

Bronze

Post by MissMaroon » Tue May 26, 2009 8:21 pm

zero1 wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:Congratulations! I'd love to read your LOCI if you can PM it to me!

MissM, why the hell have you not been admitted yet?
Because I suck, duh. I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOW. But whatevs, I'm just chillin' 8)

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm

So who brought the keg?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”