STCL South Texas College of Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschool10

New

Re: STCL South Texas College of Law

Post by lawschool10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:55 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Finally got rejected from my first (and only other) option, UH. Of course being accepted at STCL softens the blow...

I guess I need to go all in with South Texas now. I feel good about STCL, just a little disappointed because UH was a bit more attractive of an option, and I thought I had competitive numbers.

Oh well, anyone else going to STCL after being denied at UH? Want to commiserate together?

+1
Accepted to PT program at STCL yet held out hope for UH
Last edited by lawschool10 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 am

I checked and there actually is a class of 2013 facebook group that appears to be active. I emailed the admissions office (They administer the group) to see if a PT student should join this group even though technically I'll be class of 2014. I'll let you know what they tell me. Maybe I'll need to create one. But, if any of you are full time entering this fall, there is a group for you!

blurped

New

Post by blurped » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 am

The Class of 2013 FB group is essentially a group for beginning students. I'm part-time and joined just to follow the thread and meet new students. Once a CO'14 group starts, I'll switch over.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 511&ref=ts

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:17 am

blurped wrote:The Class of 2013 FB group is essentially a group for beginning students. I'm part-time and joined just to follow the thread and meet new students. Once a CO'14 group starts, I'll switch over.

Thanks Blurped, sounds reasonable. It would be a bit confusing to start a class of 2014 group now.

I'l join that group then. Good since I wasn't exactly sure how to create one wanyway.

holliebell

New

Post by holliebell » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm

I went complete 02/16, and was waitlisted 04/21. My GPA sucks: 2.3/158. However, there is a huge upward trend to my GPA. I applied full time. And, like it seems everyone else, I'm waiting to hear back from UH... however my online status checker for UH has said "File In Review" for a week now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

investx

New

Post by investx » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Accepted yesterday. Mailed seat deposit today(Due May 1st). Have they sent any of you letters regarding how much they will loan you? I was also accepted to Toledo and they did this. They showed me how much subsidized, unsubsidized, and PLUS loans I am eligible for.

holliebell

New

Post by holliebell » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 pm

To add to my earlier post... does anyone know how many ppl are on the wait list? Also, do they accept letters of continued interest? If so did you email or mail them?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:56 pm

investx wrote:Accepted yesterday. Mailed seat deposit today(Due May 1st). Have they sent any of you letters regarding how much they will loan you? I was also accepted to Toledo and they did this. They showed me how much subsidized, unsubsidized, and PLUS loans I am eligible for.

No scholly ship $$$ for me, but today I received the financial aid award letter by snail mail. It is more than enough to cover, so I won't be taking it all.

blurped

New

Post by blurped » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am

It's business casual. Black pants or khaki's with a button-down shirt will probably be sufficient.

The Official Facebook Group:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDin2013

New

Post by JDin2013 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Lawschool10, do you mind sharing your stats?
lawschool10 wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Finally got rejected from my first (and only other) option, UH. Of course being accepted at STCL softens the blow...

I guess I need to go all in with South Texas now. I feel good about STCL, just a little disappointed because UH was a bit more attractive of an option, and I thought I had competitive numbers.

Oh well, anyone else going to STCL after being denied at UH? Want to commiserate together?

+1
Accepted to PT program at STCL yet held out hope for UH

JDin2013

New

Post by JDin2013 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 pm

investx wrote:Accepted yesterday. Mailed seat deposit today(Due May 1st). Have they sent any of you letters regarding how much they will loan you? I was also accepted to Toledo and they did this. They showed me how much subsidized, unsubsidized, and PLUS loans I am eligible for.
I thought seat deposit (the 2nd installment of $200) is due May 15? That's what my admissions email says..

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:49 pm

JDin2013 wrote:
I thought seat deposit (the 2nd installment of $200) is due May 15? That's what my admissions email says..
I think there are different deposit dates based on when you were accepted. My second one is May 15 as well, but I think someone else has a $300 deposit due May 1.

I received my letter with loan info on Friday.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:14 am

raperez129 wrote:
JDin2013 wrote:
I think there are different deposit dates based on when you were accepted. My second one is May 15 as well, but I think someone else has a $300 deposit due May 1.

Me too on the loan letter. Does anyone know if there is a deadline to accept awards? I need to understand what they mean more. For example, they are offering twice the amount of what I would need for a year, assuming I would be using funds for room and board, which I will not be doing. The award comes from three different sources, subsidized, unsubsidized, and grant plus. I am assuming that one of these is the best, and one of these is the worst, etc.

So should I employ some kind of strategy and only accept the best loan (after I figure out which one that is) or do I except them all and work out the details of which funds I actually use later?

Anyone have experience with this?

Anyone know how to find more information on the details of these different loan types? I searched on STANLEY but the links seemed to be broken off my financial aid awards page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:06 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
raperez129 wrote:
JDin2013 wrote:

Me too on the loan letter. Does anyone know if there is a deadline to accept awards? I need to understand what they mean more. For example, they are offering twice the amount of what I would need for a year, assuming I would be using funds for room and board, which I will not be doing. The award comes from three different sources, subsidized, unsubsidized, and grant plus. I am assuming that one of these is the best, and one of these is the worst, etc.

So should I employ some kind of strategy and only accept the best loan (after I figure out which one that is) or do I except them all and work out the details of which funds I actually use later?

Anyone have experience with this?

Anyone know how to find more information on the details of these different loan types? I searched on STANLEY but the links seemed to be broken off my financial aid awards page.
unsubsidized - interest will accrue while you are in school; you can defer the interest payments until after graduation but it will increase the principle loan amount. Loan guaranteed by government.

subsidized - no interest will accrue while in school. Will begin accrue 6 months after graduation. Loan guaranteed by government.

grant plus - private loan, locked interest rate set by government, loan approval by private company and based on your credit rating.

You can choose to take all or any portion of any loan you choose. I would take the grant loan last, since it will have the highest rate. Not sure about the deadline, you may want to call and ask.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Actually I meant Grad Plus, not GRANT plus. My Bad.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if there is any difference between the 3 different loans concerning when the payments need to start being made?

Also do you know if there is a deadline to accept the award?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Actually I meant Grad Plus, not GRANT plus. My Bad.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if there is any difference between the 3 different loans concerning when the payments need to start being made?

Also do you know if there is a deadline to accept the award?

Not sure of deadline. I believe payments will begin 6 months after you are no longer a student. You can choose to make your interest payments while you are still in school.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:16 pm

still on the wait list about to give up hope for this year

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Did anybody else go to the ASR on Saturday? I was pleased with what I saw and heard. I must admit though that it was hard to get pumped up about going to it as I had hopes of going to UH's or SMU's.

I am really interested in their Certificate Program. Anybody else?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:56 pm

jgrin wrote:Did anybody else go to the ASR on Saturday? I was pleased with what I saw and heard. I must admit though that it was hard to get pumped up about going to it as I had hopes of going to UH's or SMU's.

I am really interested in their Certificate Program. Anybody else?
I was so disappointed I couldn't make it. :cry:
We just found out that we have to move in two weeks (long story) and we were running around looking at new places to move.

Any other worthy info from ASR?

investx

New

Post by investx » Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 pm

I was very impressed with Dean Treece and his enthusiasm for the advocacy program. My friend is wanting to join and compete. The past accomplishments of the program include

"...the Advocacy Program has accumulated 80 national titles, 12 state titles, and over 65+ regional titles in both moot court and mock trial, as well as numerous brief-writing and speaking awards."
--LinkRemoved--

The "Certificate in Transactional Law Practice" is something I will be interested in pursuing. I believe that will be my path in law school, but not entirely sure yet. Being in the Houston legal market is just such a major plus for this school.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:59 am

I was there and really enjoyed the visit. The only negative in the last 2 hour self guided tour was that I was unable to find any open classrooms. Maybe I'm a nerd but I wanted to get a good look at where I'd be spending most of the time. The rest of the facilities were very nice, I love the downtown feel and the history of the building.

The highlight of the formal presentation for me was Dean Treece's discussion of the advocacy program, and also (Dean?) Worley's framework for choosing a legal path.

Since I am considering a corporate law career I am very interested in the certificate and I was excited to see they have one. I believe it is only one of less than 5 of these programs in the country because it practical in nature, teaching skills as opposed to just a clump of courses around transactions rewarded with a certificate.

It is hard for me not to consider the advocacy program though, since it is the highlight of the school. Question: Can PT night students participate in the advocacy program, competitions, etc?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed May 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Glad to see this thread going full steam. You guys who were rejected from UH will soon learn that UH kids are kind of stupid (they don't learn anything) and if you work for any gov't agency over the summer, they will prefer you to do things over the UH kids. STCL is highly respect in Houston and is not looked down upon. I'm a (soon to be) rising 3L and had a job both summers with out much trouble albeit DA work. I'm in a study room right with the SBA vice president and she has 2 paid jobs lined up for the summer.

Is 1L hard? Hell yes. Is STCL your typical T4? Hell no. I'm glad you guys made the right decision to attend the best law school in Houston ;)

Welcome aboard, see you guys in the Fall. If you have any questions PLEASE PM me. Also, http://www.40nations.com is the UNoffical STCL website. Tons of outlines and prof reviews. Good luck.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:55 pm

awesome. appreciate the feedback.

I'll check out the 40nations site later.

Any idea on whether or not PT can participate in advocacy program?

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed May 05, 2010 6:38 pm

rdcws000 wrote:awesome. appreciate the feedback.

I'll check out the 40nations site later.

Any idea on whether or not PT can participate in advocacy program?
Everyone has to have at least 30 hours to compete as a traveling advocate but you can participate in the summer academy with less hours. Also need to keep your GPA above a 2.5 and the curve is 2.778

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Thu May 06, 2010 3:17 pm

SO, where is everyone gonna live in the fall?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”