Cincinnati a bit of a sleeper - observations from a visit Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
qualster

Bronze

Re: Cincinnati a bit of a sleeper - observations from a visit

Post by qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:01 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote: Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. Cincy is perfectly adequate, but cant compete with the truly great american cities, like boston, nyc, seattle etc. I even like Columbus more than cincy. But i am biased
No, I appreciate the honesty. My gripe with Seattle is the horrid weather for 8 or 9 months out of the year. The grey dome for all but 3-4 months is pretty awful. I kind of think you have to grow up in that area to dig it. The city's cool, but the weather blows.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm

qualster wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote: Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. Cincy is perfectly adequate, but cant compete with the truly great american cities, like boston, nyc, seattle etc. I even like Columbus more than cincy. But i am biased
No, I appreciate the honesty. My gripe with Seattle is the horrid weather for 8 or 9 months out of the year. The grey dome for all but 3-4 months is pretty awful. I kind of think you have to grow up in that area to dig it. The city's cool, but the weather blows.
The weather in cincy aint very nice either.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:09 pm

hombredulce wrote:The real questions here are: How many of their 1L's have paid summer jobs? What is the job outlook like for 2L's and 3L's?
ahem

Learning about the weather is nice, but isn't getting a job the point of going to law school?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 pm

hombredulce wrote:
hombredulce wrote:The real questions here are: How many of their 1L's have paid summer jobs? What is the job outlook like for 2L's and 3L's?
ahem

Learning about the weather is nice, but isn't getting a job the point of going to law school?
1. You just quoted yourself.

2. Paid 1L summer jobs are virtually non-existent in this economy, even for the top-14. Simply put, firms are not paying 1Ls to do summer work. Those that do have a paid 1L summer position most likely got their position through some sick ass connections. At Cincy, I imagine your chances at paid 1L employment are slim to none. Can't speak about the 2L/3L picture though.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:01 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
hombredulce wrote:
ahem

1. You just quoted yourself.

2. Paid 1L summer jobs are virtually non-existent in this economy, even for the top-14. Simply put, firms are not paying 1Ls to do summer work. Those that do have a paid 1L summer position most likely got their position through some sick ass connections. At Cincy, I imagine your chances at paid 1L employment are slim to none. Can't speak about the 2L/3L picture though.
Yeah, this economy is bruuuutal. My buddy's sister is a 3L at Columbia and she doesn't have a job. She is sweatin' it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:17 pm

MBZags wrote:I agree; I have been to Cincinnati quite a few times. While it has its perks, some parts of the city (e.g. Over the Rhine) are just terrible. Plus, the culture, landscape, etc. just aren't as rich or enjoyable as Seattle. I'd take Seattle over Cincinnati by a significant margin any day of the week.
Having said that, would you attend Cincy knowing that your chances of landing a great job would be best in that region upon graduating?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Yeah, without a doubt. Don't get me wrong, I like Cincinnati, but I just prefer other places.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 pm

MBZags wrote:Yeah, without a doubt. Don't get me wrong, I like Cincinnati, but I just prefer other places.
I hear ya. I've never been there, so I'm just trying to get a sense of how others feel about it. I mean, how does it compare to Cleveland (assuming you've been to Cleveland)?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:35 am

I've been to Cleveland only once, but I definitely like Cincinnati more. From an outsider's perspective, Cleveland seemed kind of rundown with not nearly as much to offer as Cincinnati. I'll probably be going to Cleveland in about a month, too, so my impressions might change slightly. Of course, this video never exactly changes my opinion, hah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5Tq ... re=related

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 am

MBZags wrote:I've been to Cleveland only once, but I definitely like Cincinnati more. From an outsider's perspective, Cleveland seemed kind of rundown with not nearly as much to offer as Cincinnati. I'll probably be going to Cleveland in about a month, too, so my impressions might change slightly. Of course, this video never exactly changes my opinion, hah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5Tq ... re=related
Yeah, I've heard that Cincy is a cool city while Cleveland is going through hard times and just isn't that great. That seems to be the consensus.

It's hard for a West Coaster to get a feel for these cities without visiting, but I do value the opinions of fellow Westsiders.

The only city I've spent much time in outside of the West is Philly, which was pretty sweet actually. The old part of downtown was rockin, bro. Certain parts of Philly sucked and were a bit rough, but for the most part it was a cool place. The towns outside of Philly were cool little towns.

leftofthedial

New

Post by leftofthedial » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 am

If you remember the Robert Mapplethorpe or Larry Flynt cases, those both happened in Cincinnati. That said, Newport's really pretty cool, the Southgate House is one of the best venues ever for live music, and the chili is good. Cincinnati always seemed a little too uptight, though.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 am

Yeah, I can't speak for Cleveland food, but Cincinnati has some awesome places like LaRosa's, Graeter's, Montgomery Inn, and Skyline Chili.

JoshL87

New

Post by JoshL87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:36 am

I just visited this past weekend. The staff is super nice, and you can tell that the students really enjoy going there. They have three lawyers on staff who help with jobs and internships, and one used to be a hiring partner at a law firm. The small class size really solidified my decision. Some 2L/3L seminars only have 4 or 5 people. That's basically private tutoring right there! The price is so appealing, especially since UC is ranked 52.

BTW.. Cincinnati is a beautiful city with tons of history and culture.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firebreathingliberal

Bronze

Post by firebreathingliberal » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm

kartal wrote:I do not know if there is any UC Law student following here. At any rate, I have couple questions if anybody knows the answers:

1. How is the grading curve at UC law school?

2. Do you see UC law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

3. Does UC Law use the Socratic method?

4. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

Thanks in advance.
Curve = B in 1L and B+ 2L/3L.

Some professors use the Socratic Method while some younger faculty don't.

I would say the school leans liberal but it isn't homogeneous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”