decision at duke Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
worldtraveler

Platinum

Re: decision at duke

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:41 am

mvk216 wrote:I was waitlisted a few weeks ago but after hearing about the priority waitlist I called Duke to find out the details. The woman at the admissions office was not only stand-offish but pretended not to know what I was talking about when I mentioned the priority waitlist. When I asked her directly if they had one this year she said they have had them in the past but don't have one this year. So, either I am missing something of the office outright lied to me as many people on this board have said they received the priority waitlist e-mail. Not cool Duke, not cool :x
I haven't read this whole thread, but are you sure you don't mean people have said they're on priority reserve? There is a priority reserve list, which is a different thing from the waitlist.

donaldson11

New

Post by donaldson11 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:49 am

quakeroat wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:
quakeroat wrote:Priority Reserve WL here as well. For those of you who have Duke as your #1, I'll be withdrawing. :)
What is this 'priority reserve' WL? The WL FAQ says they don't use a ranking system within the WL.
According to the email:

Applicants to Duke Law this year make up the largest and strongest group we have received to date. In addition, because we enroll 40-45 students in our summer-starting dual degree programs, there are only160 seats in our fall JD class. Therefore, this year’s application process is exceptionally competitive. However, we will closely monitor the state of our class over the next several weeks, and hope that we will have the opportunity to extend offers of admission to candidates on the Priority Reserve list.

Ok, now I'm confused. Is there or isn't there a priority reserve WAITLIST. If these two things are different, what does being put on priority reserve mean? How is it different than PR WL?

slightlyanonymous

New

Post by slightlyanonymous » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 am

donaldson11 wrote:
quakeroat wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:
quakeroat wrote:Priority Reserve WL here as well. For those of you who have Duke as your #1, I'll be withdrawing. :)
What is this 'priority reserve' WL? The WL FAQ says they don't use a ranking system within the WL.
According to the email:

Applicants to Duke Law this year make up the largest and strongest group we have received to date. In addition, because we enroll 40-45 students in our summer-starting dual degree programs, there are only160 seats in our fall JD class. Therefore, this year’s application process is exceptionally competitive. However, we will closely monitor the state of our class over the next several weeks, and hope that we will have the opportunity to extend offers of admission to candidates on the Priority Reserve list.

Ok, now I'm confused. Is there or isn't there a priority reserve WAITLIST. If these two things are different, what does being put on priority reserve mean?
How is it different? I thought it was similar to GULC's preferred waitlist vs. waitlist? No?

donaldson11

New

Post by donaldson11 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 am

I thought so as well. Clearly there is a Priority Reserve WL if people are being told they are on it

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 am

Priority reserve = people who were priority track but not admitted. It's essentially a hold. My impression is that it's not a waitlist, maybe a bit better. I think my e-mail said they would be looking at my app to evaluate it again later.

As far as I know, there is priority reserve and the regular WL. Those are the two options, and it's not like Georgetown's. Someone can correct me on this but I'm pretty confident that's why the woman on the phone gave that answer. She's not lying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvk216

New

Post by mvk216 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 am

worldtraveler wrote:Priority reserve = people who were priority track but not admitted. It's essentially a hold. My impression is that it's not a waitlist, maybe a bit better. I think my e-mail said they would be looking at my app to evaluate it again later.

As far as I know, there is priority reserve and the regular WL. Those are the two options, and it's not like Georgetown's. Someone can correct me on this but I'm pretty confident that's why the woman on the phone gave that answer. She's not lying.
I think the exact wording I used when speaking with her was "priority reserve waitlist" and her reply was that they didn't have one this year.

slightlyanonymous

New

Post by slightlyanonymous » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 am

worldtraveler wrote:Priority reserve = people who were priority track but not admitted. It's essentially a hold. My impression is that it's not a waitlist, maybe a bit better. I think my e-mail said they would be looking at my app to evaluate it again later.

Interesting...thanks traveler...can't the law schools all get together and come up with ONE taxonomy for what sh** means? Priority reserve, preferred waitlist, hold, deferred, committee review, decision pending...it can't be THAT hard--we figured it out on TLS somehow! (HYSCCN T-14 TTT etc etc etc)

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 am

mvk216 wrote:

I think the exact wording I used when speaking with her was "priority reserve waitlist" and her reply was that they didn't have one this year.
Well I guess taking that literally, there isn't a PR waitlist. She probably could have been more clear but I don't think she was intentionally misleading. I think it's just mass confusion due to every school calling it a different name and having their own system.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 am

So people who were "priority track" could also have been WL'd or rejected, if not placed the priority reserve list?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

donaldson11

New

Post by donaldson11 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:02 am

What I got from Quakeroat's post was that he was Wait Listed along with a bunch of others that got the WL email over the last few days, but that his email specifically said he was put on the priority reserve WL. I could be wrong....but that was the impression I got.

Either way, I'm on the WL, and definitely never heard anything about priority one way or the other.

slightlyanonymous

New

Post by slightlyanonymous » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 am

donaldson11 wrote:What I got from Quakeroat's post was that he was Wait Listed along with a bunch of others that got the WL email over the last few days, but that his email specifically said he was put on the priority reserve WL. I could be wrong....but that was the impression I got.

Either way, I'm on the WL, and definitely never heard anything about priority one way or the other.
I'm planning to write it in with a sharpie in my regular waitlist letter

"We invite you to be on our PRIORITY waitlist"

I firmly believe doing this will make it so. As in, Michael Scott in The Office... "I....Declare...Bankruptcy!"

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 am

pomona wrote:

So people who were "priority track" could also have been WL'd or rejected, if not placed the priority reserve list?
Think of priority reserve as a deferrment or a hold. You could move from that to be on a WL or rejected. That doesn't mean you'reon a priority reserve waitlist. From my understanding, some of us are still chilling on the priority reserve, some have been admitted, some moved to the WL, and maybe some rejected. If you just call priority reserve a hold this gets a lot easier.

Unless someone actually has an email that says "you are on the priority reserve waitlist", that's what I"m going with.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:09 am

OK I just looked at Quakeroat's post. I got the same e-mail and it's NOT a waitlist. The subject is "Priority Reserve List"
This is the text:

Thank you for your application to Duke Law School! Previously, Dean Hoye wrote
to you offering you a spot on our Priority Reserve list for Fall 2009. Now
that our application deadline has passed and we are working on completing
decisions on the rest of our class, I’d like to ask you to confirm your
continued interest in Duke.

Applicants to Duke Law this year make up the largest and strongest group we
have received to date. In addition, because we enroll 40-45 students in our
summer-starting dual degree programs, there are only160 seats in our fall JD
class. Therefore, this year’s application process is exceptionally
competitive. However, we will closely monitor the state of our class over the
next several weeks, and hope that we will have the opportunity to extend offers
of admission to candidates on the Priority Reserve list.

You may indicate whether or not you wish to accept your position on our
Priority Reserve list by completing the online form here:
--LinkRemoved--

If we do not hear from you by March 27, we will remove you from our Priority
Reserve list and close your application file. Please be sure to keep us
informed of changes to your contact information.

We appreciate your patience during the admissions process, and we will do our
best to reach a final decision on your candidacy as soon as possible. In the
meantime, please feel free to submit updated or additional information such as
letters of recommendation, transcripts for work completed since your
application was submitted, or any new honors or awards received.

Regards,
Mark Hill

So it's not a waitlist, there is no priority reserve WL. We can all breathe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvk216

New

Post by mvk216 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 am

Well I think my confusion came about because after I asked her if they had a "priority reserve waitlist" she said they had had them in the past BUT NOT this year. If there really is a difference between "priority reserve" and "priority reserve waitlist" the least she could have done would be to clarify this. I'm not sure if she was intentionally misleading me or not but it certainly doesn't speak well for any transparency at the Duke admissions office.

donaldson11

New

Post by donaldson11 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:14 am

Haha Ok, but essentially you are on a list, waiting for a spot, and yet you get some priority.

No worries...I plan to withdraw soon anyway. Duke's not on the top of my list and this panicked discussion (myself included) about these lists makes it clear that it is a top choice to many.

Good luck to everyone!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:17 pm

How long does it take to change to decision once its under review?

lasolas

New

Post by lasolas » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm

lrw05d wrote:How long does it take to change to decision once its under review?
Feels like approx. 5-7 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Under review means you're complete. So it can take any length of time. I got my decision 40 days after going under review. And my status checker changed to decision 42 days after I went complete.

As a side note, I received my acceptance package today after being accepted via email on Sunday.
Last edited by caoyun on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 pm

lasolas wrote:
Feels like approx. 5-7 years.
haha, +1

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

worldtraveler wrote:OK I just looked at Quakeroat's post. I got the same e-mail and it's NOT a waitlist. The subject is "Priority Reserve List"
This is the text:

Thank you for your application to Duke Law School! Previously, Dean Hoye wrote
to you offering you a spot on our Priority Reserve list for Fall 2009. Now
that our application deadline has passed and we are working on completing
decisions on the rest of our class, I’d like to ask you to confirm your
continued interest in Duke.

Applicants to Duke Law this year make up the largest and strongest group we
have received to date. In addition, because we enroll 40-45 students in our
summer-starting dual degree programs, there are only160 seats in our fall JD
class. Therefore, this year’s application process is exceptionally
competitive. However, we will closely monitor the state of our class over the
next several weeks, and hope that we will have the opportunity to extend offers
of admission to candidates on the Priority Reserve list.

You may indicate whether or not you wish to accept your position on our
Priority Reserve list by completing the online form here:
--LinkRemoved--

If we do not hear from you by March 27, we will remove you from our Priority
Reserve list and close your application file. Please be sure to keep us
informed of changes to your contact information.

We appreciate your patience during the admissions process, and we will do our
best to reach a final decision on your candidacy as soon as possible. In the
meantime, please feel free to submit updated or additional information such as
letters of recommendation, transcripts for work completed since your
application was submitted, or any new honors or awards received.

Regards,
Mark Hill

So it's not a waitlist, there is no priority reserve WL. We can all breathe.
You're being asked to wait until they figure out how many admitted applicants will commit to attending. If enough of them choose not to attend, you'll be offered a spot. If an insufficient number of Priority Reserve applicants responds positively to fill up a class, they'll turn to the wait listed candidates.

Essentially, I really don't see how this isn't a preferred wait list. Even if they aren't calling it by that name, it's what it is in substance, for all intents and purposes.

Jas

New

Post by Jas » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:18 pm

For those of you who thought the Priority Reserve list is for anyone who had a priority track status but didn't get a spot, you are wrong...

I was priority track, but apparently I screwed my application up badly enough that I fell to the regular waitlist. With a 171, even.

My advice: write the Why Duke and don't apply in February!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

caoyun

Bronze

Post by caoyun » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that I never wrote the Why Duke essay. I was really worried that I would be waitlisted as a result, but I got in. I really hope they make me a good offer, because I love Duke!

mj72107

New

Post by mj72107 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Maybe this will help some of the confusion: the Priority Reserve people are, whether they are waitlisted like us other poor 168s and below, or are on "hold," going to receive preferential review when it comes time for Duke to admit extra people.

I asked this question specifically when I met with an adcomm at Duke about a week ago. He answered honestly that PT/PR people would likely receive the first crack at any new offers of admittance.

In a grim, but unsurprising, revelation, nobody will be likely to hear anything until the May 1 fee deposit deadline is past.

Ocilla

New

Post by Ocilla » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 am

175/3.8 from small private school. Got "priority reserve." This is my first post on here, but I really like Duke. I applied late, like the middle of January, but this makes me worry about the rest of my cycle. I got rejected from Berkeley, and this is my only other news. Think I have a chance?

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:16 am

Ocilla wrote:175/3.8 from small private school. Got "priority reserve." This is my first post on here, but I really like Duke. I applied late, like the middle of January, but this makes me worry about the rest of my cycle. I got rejected from Berkeley, and this is my only other news. Think I have a chance?
you have good numbers (and far better research abilities than most people at the time of their first post), I wouldnt worry about it just yet. It sounds like, unless you did something horrible in your app, you should have some solid choices at the end of this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”