In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
readereader

New

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by readereader » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: places to live near Hastings, rents in San Francisco can vary greatly depending on the neighborhood (and level of safety you're willing to live without). Make sure you SEE the place you're renting before you put down money, because there are places that people would tell you to stay away from, say on the edge of the Mission, that are pretty decent, but if you go too far in any one direction you're really in a bad neighborhood. If you're looking in the East Bay, just go to http://www.bart.gov/ and look at towns that are on the map, again, being VERY CAREFUL to make sure you visit the place you're going to live before committing, especially in Oakland.

I live in Alameda, and the pros are that the rent there is (very slightly) lower, and the neighborhoods are MUCH safer than much of the East Bay, but it's a little harder to get to public transportation (walk to Bus, then Bus to BART, which takes about 30-40 minutes total between my house and civic center - alternatively, I can drive to West Oakland and pay for parking, but be at Civic Center within 15 minutes of getting into my car). I recommend going to Craigslist and looking at rents in various neighborhoods to see what you're willing to live with, and remember - in the Bay Area, neighborhoods change VERY quickly. Don't discount Oakland, because some of Oakland is very very nice, but don't assume that if you're near the financial district in San Francisco, you can walk around alone in the middle of the night.

sfburkhead

New

Post by sfburkhead » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Most definitely got rejected (166, 3.3 @ USC) which didn't really surprise me at the time, but I'm in at U.Illinois with a 20k a year scholarship. So weeeeeeeee.

However, I am still bitter about rejection from Hastings, so congrats to all those who get in. It's a great school in a great location!

anastasia

New

Post by anastasia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:11 pm

In today!

makster316

New

Post by makster316 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:22 pm

anastasia wrote:In today!

congrats, anastasia!

sophisticatedlady

New

Post by sophisticatedlady » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Congrats! Will you attend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anastasia

New

Post by anastasia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:26 pm

sophisticatedlady wrote:
Congrats! Will you attend?
Thanks! I think I might....Not one hundred percent though

Now that Berkeley rejected me...I think Im 99% going to Hastings
Last edited by anastasia on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anastasia

New

Post by anastasia » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm

makster316 wrote:

congrats, anastasia!
Thanks! My first one...

lombokorbali

New

Post by lombokorbali » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:51 pm

i've decided i want to end up in the Bay Area, regardless of the other schools i get into. still waiting on berkeley (in the faculty committee review group) but would really like to get into hastings, too.

i sent in my app in mid-December and have been complete since early/mid-January. does anyone have any advice on whether i should write a LOCI now? fwiw, i did not mention hastings in my personal statement.

anastasia

New

Post by anastasia » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 pm

lombokorbali wrote:i've decided i want to end up in the Bay Area, regardless of the other schools i get into. still waiting on berkeley (in the faculty committee review group) but would really like to get into hastings, too.

i sent in my app in mid-December and have been complete since early/mid-January. does anyone have any advice on whether i should write a LOCI now? fwiw, i did not mention hastings in my personal statement.
With your numbers I really wouldn't worry too much, but it wouldn't hurt to write one I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:04 pm

anastasia wrote:
lombokorbali wrote:i've decided i want to end up in the Bay Area, regardless of the other schools i get into. still waiting on berkeley (in the faculty committee review group) but would really like to get into hastings, too.

With your numbers I really wouldn't worry too much, but it wouldn't hurt to write one I think.
Watch out for YP.

I think a LOCI is a must, to let Hastings know that you are serious about attending. Check the LSAC admit stats from last year...the Hastings admit rate for your bracket was 3 out of 8, or 37.5%.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC4342.pdf

microoli

New

Post by microoli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Last edited by microoli on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbx59

New

Post by tbx59 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:14 pm

I don't know, if you were a law school would you accept someone that got a question wrong?

I would send one because it sounds like YP to me (at UCB maybe too) and they might be assuming you're going to Yale

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Hastings thinks you'll get into Berkeley, so they're waiting for you to withdraw. Same thing happened to me last year, with YP at Hastings and fac com at Cal. Your numbers are significantly better than mine were, though, so I'd be shocked if you didn't get into Berkeley.

If you really want Hastings, contacting them is probably a must.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CaptainCubicle

New

Post by CaptainCubicle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm

I got WLed at Hastings on 2/19 - 3.28/169. I was looking at the stats and those numbers seem to generally do well w/applications(though they're obviously not auto-admit). While I'm not sure I would attend if I got in, I'd consider it very strongly (I'm from SF and would like to live in the area in the future, if not right away). I was going to send in a LOCI, but the waitlist notification specifically said to not to send anything in until/unless notified.

They mentioned decisions might be made w/the WL by May, which isn't too far away, but would make my other decisions more stressful (the only schools I've gotten into are in DC, so housing, moving, etc. would be involved). I know this is probably a stupid question - there's a clear instruction from them - but is there anything I can do to try to convince them that they should let me in?

Thanks!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:43 pm

CaptainCubicle wrote:I got WLed at Hastings on 2/19 - 3.28/169. I was looking at the stats and those numbers seem to generally do well w/applications(though they're obviously not auto-admit). While I'm not sure I would attend if I got in, I'd consider it very strongly (I'm from SF and would like to live in the area in the future, if not right away). I was going to send in a LOCI, but the waitlist notification specifically said to not to send anything in until/unless notified.

They mentioned decisions might be made w/the WL by May, which isn't too far away, but would make my other decisions more stressful (the only schools I've gotten into are in DC, so housing, moving, etc. would be involved). I know this is probably a stupid question - there's a clear instruction from them - but is there anything I can do to try to convince them that they should let me in?

Thanks!
Hard to say. I would respect the request not to contact them for a little while, but at some point you just have to go for it. They probably won't make any WL decisions until after the first deposit deadline, but it might not be a bad idea to have expressed some interest by then. The people in the admissions office were really nice based on my experience, so I doubt they would be upset if you sent in a LOCI.

Sorry I don't have any concrete insight, admissions is a mysterious process. Your numbers are solid, though, so good luck.

ianchen

New

Post by ianchen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:44 pm

microoli wrote:Anybody from Silicon Valley considering going to the little soirée they have on March 12th? I'd go, but I fear the turn-out may be low, and it'll just be me standing awkwardly with a cup full of punch in my hand.
I'm planning to go.

microoli

New

Post by microoli » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Last edited by microoli on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thelawdad

New

Post by thelawdad » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:46 pm

my d is 1L. She went last yr. 200 people showed up.

lombokorbali

New

Post by lombokorbali » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:20 pm

thanks everyone! will probably send a LOCI this week.

tbx59

New

Post by tbx59 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Waitlist

dlm2100

New

Post by dlm2100 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:53 pm

does anyone know when we will be getting our grant offers?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:59 pm

dlm2100 wrote:does anyone know when we will be getting our grant offers?
Good question. It seems that the Financial Aid office has a 30 second timer on all phone calls.

parisisburning

New

Post by parisisburning » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:07 pm

did hastings contacts admits or waitlist via snailmail?

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:09 pm

parisisburning wrote:did hastings contacts admits or waitlist via snailmail?

snailmail for me

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 pm

snailmail admit for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”