In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:42 pm

To those LEOP applicants still waiting: Hastings is still going through LEOP applications as we speak. My adcomm was apologetic about the delay, and very helpful!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

ria29

New

Post by ria29 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:To those LEOP applicants still waiting: Hastings is still going through LEOP applications as we speak. My adcomm was apologetic about the delay, and very helpful!

Thanks for the update!

Paladuck

New

Post by Paladuck » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:54 pm

To answer questions:

Non-LEOP students still have access to a lot of helpful exam-taking, outlining and other services.

If I remember correctly, you receive your financial aid package and email stuff in a letter. Just keep in mind that all these deadlines Hastings gives you for stuff are not hard deadlines - they're not gonna retract your admission because you turn in some form late (unless its your deposit heh)

The Dean of Hastings just announced that she's leaving us for Notre Dame at the end of this school year. Unsure of what effect it will have on the school, but it is what it is.

- a 1L

ivesetsail

New

Post by ivesetsail » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:30 pm

another waitlist for me...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 pm

ria29 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:To those LEOP applicants still waiting: Hastings is still going through LEOP applications as we speak. My adcomm was apologetic about the delay, and very helpful!

Thanks for the update!
Glad my paranoia is serving a purpose! She said we could be waiting a few more weeks. If I find out any more, I shall, of course, share it here! I've been complete since December, so it seems LEOP admits are not "rolling" so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

macguy4242

New

Post by macguy4242 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:56 pm

WL today. the email they sent made it very clear that "no action is required to remain on our waitlist" and they would "appreciate [it] if you do not call or email...regarding the waitlist"

do you guys think this applies to an LOCI? i assume that can only help but i'd hate to go against their rules...
Last edited by macguy4242 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dlm2100

New

Post by dlm2100 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 am

Financial aid stuff is up!

LSATrocks

New

Post by LSATrocks » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:14 am

where?

dlm2100

New

Post by dlm2100 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:22 am

LSATrocks wrote:
where?
--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

knownot

New

Post by knownot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 am

Waitlist.

That makes 4...ugh.

gooru

New

Post by gooru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:24 am

x
Last edited by gooru on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thissucks

New

Post by thissucks » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:28 am

Just got my letter too. It was sent via email with a link. Click on the link and it prompts you to register and then you can view your award letter.

I did get a grant and it showed up on the letter...so I don't know what's going on with yours. I also don't know what they base the grants on.

PHEW. I am relieved now. FINALLY- Decision time!!!

Mr. Sparkle

New

Post by Mr. Sparkle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:56 am

I just got my financial aid award too. I got a hastings grant but no merit aid...sure hope there's truth to the idea that merit aid will come separately :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jobobojo

New

Post by jobobojo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:59 am

Just got mine, too. Hmm... $52k in delicious unsubsidized loans...

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:02 am

Did the award letter come to you via your normal email address or to a Hastings email address?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:03 am

How rich/poor are people relatively speaking? I mean if you got a grant, are you middle class? If you didn't get a grant, are you upper class?

I am solidly middle class...my parents live in Mississippi. My dad has no college degree and earns less than 20k a year. Their networth is somewhat large but only bc they bought land cheap in the 80s.

No grants here. I am furious
Last edited by General Tso on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:07 am

swheat wrote:How rich/poor are people relatively speaking? I mean if you got a grant, are you middle class? If you didn't get a grant, are you upper class?

I am solidly middle class...my parents live in Missississippi. My dad has no college degree and earns less than 20k a year. Their networth is somewhat large but only bc they bought land cheap in the 80s.

I am pretty poor, and my family has no land. Net worth of the whole bunch is close to zero. I requested a dependency waiver too, but I haven't gotten my award yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 am

Got mine too... in normal email (I think that FinAid person at admitted students day confused us all for nothing)... the letter was pretty ugly though! By far the highest 'estimated family contribution' I've gotten from any schools. I was also awarded merit scholarships at higher ranked schools, but no scholarships or grants from Hastings. Boo!

I probably would erroneously fall under 'upper class'... but I'm 29 and will be paying for law school without any help from my parents (but until you're 30 or married you have to include their info on your Need Access application - so crappy!!). They would fall under 'upper class', without them, I would definitely fall under 'barely middle class', if that. So annoyed.

btrflykss12

New

Post by btrflykss12 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 am

Middle class. Dean's Scholarship for $10,000 and Hastings' Scholarship for $8500. Think I'll have to withdraw. Even with this money, I'd be taking out at least $40,000/year in loans.

Good luck to everyone else!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:24 am

btrflykss12 wrote:Middle class. Dean's Scholarship for $10,000 and Hastings' Scholarship for $8500. Think I'll have to withdraw. Even with this money, I'd be taking out at least $40,000/year in loans.

Good luck to everyone else!
The 8500 is a scholarship, not a grant?

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

I got a small grant, the rest loans, but I didn't have to report my parents information. If I didn't hear about merit aid by now, should I assume I'm out of luck? Or does that come separately?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:40 pm

beckysoc24 wrote:I got a small grant, the rest loans, but I didn't have to report my parents information. If I didn't hear about merit aid by now, should I assume I'm out of luck? Or does that come separately?
+1. Anyone at the ASD in March that learned this from the FinAid people? Or is anyone going on the 4th that doesn't mind asking?

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 pm

At ASD in March they said that the scholarships may or may not show up on your FinAid letter. And that if a scholarship was awarded after your finaid letter, you would recieve a second finaid letter later on.

She also mentioned that she had just the day before ASD received the first list of scholarships from Admissions, and Admissions would be sending the letters out late March/early April.

But it sounds like the scholarships did show up on some people's finaid letters already, so perhaps this is old information.

Hopefully you guys going to the next ASD (this weekend?) can fill us in with more info if there is any! :)

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:51 pm

jdub wrote:At ASD in March they said that the scholarships may or may not show up on your FinAid letter. And that if a scholarship was awarded after your finaid letter, you would recieve a second finaid letter later on.

She also mentioned that she had just the day before ASD received the first list of scholarships from Admissions, and Admissions would be sending the letters out late March/early April.

But it sounds like the scholarships did show up on some people's finaid letters already, so perhaps this is old information.

Hopefully you guys going to the next ASD (this weekend?) can fill us in with more info if there is any! :)
Thanks for that, does clear up a little bit. It sounds like the first round of scholarships did in fact go out with the FinAid Award letters that went online yesterday. This makes me think the second round likely won't happen until later in April. If anyone going on the 4th can get this verified by FinAid people I'll be withdrawing to free up the spot for someone on the WL.

ajrm116

New

Post by ajrm116 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 pm

swheat wrote:How rich/poor are people relatively speaking? I mean if you got a grant, are you middle class? If you didn't get a grant, are you upper class?

I am solidly middle class...my parents live in Mississippi. My dad has no college degree and earns less than 20k a year. Their networth is somewhat large but only bc they bought land cheap in the 80s.

I am from a middle class family, but am independent. I own no property and make <20k a year. I got a 7,900 grant.

Also, is it the consensus that it's fairly easy to become a CA resident for tuition purposes in 2L and 3L? Or did I just dream that up?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”