In at UC Hastings!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Re: In at UC Hastings!!

Post by TheRyanocerous » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:32 pm

waitlistd today... I'm actually pretty excited that I was not flat rejected LOL. 160/3.7

Pilaf Rocket

New

Post by Pilaf Rocket » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Waitlisted too. Grateful for not being outright rejected :D

161 3.53

Any idea on our chances?

If I remember correctly, at a Hastings information day I heard of a kid who got in (off WL) the day before classes started. I can't imagine the stress that would cause, having to decide if its worth it to drop whatever school you are about to start/already started...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 pm

misteranthro wrote:
anastasia wrote:
A friend of mine is in the program and is a 1L now. She says its actually a lot of help to her.
I have never been someone who used tutoring much, so it would definitely be a new experience to have it required. On the other hand, until I took the LSAT I never tasted real academic defeat either. I guess I should be thankful they let me in either way. I hope people don't look down upon the LEOP students though.
I also spoke to a Hastings student in LEOP. (I applied and haven't heard anything yet!) He told me that no one really knows who is in LEOP, and it is not considered a big deal at all. He finds the mandatory Saturdays to be helpful, since students are given old exams and basically made to drill hypos over and over again. He finds the atmosphere to be very supportive, and is happy with the program. I can't imagine that Hastings would admit anyone who could not handle the academic rigors, and I would personally be thrilled to have this kind of individualized attention.

1swift

New

Post by 1swift » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Anyone accepted received financial aid package? This school may be the sole reason I re-take the LSAT but looking at LSN, almost no one receive $$$ who is accepted here...can this be or do they hold off on this sort of info?

TPO

New

Post by TPO » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Anybody know if they have a separate waitlist for people who applied through LEOP? If so, I imagine movement would be very minimal as their yield rate for LEOP acceptances is probably much higher...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:55 pm

1swift wrote:Anyone accepted received financial aid package? This school may be the sole reason I re-take the LSAT but looking at LSN, almost no one receive $$$ who is accepted here...can this be or do they hold off on this sort of info?
they haven't sent out financial aid stuff out yet, as far as i know. should be coming out within the next couple of weeks. as far as your observation that "almost no one receive $$$ who is accepted here," they say "Approximately 70% of our students receive need-based grants, and the average grant is $7500."

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am

vb007 wrote:
1swift wrote:Anyone accepted received financial aid package? This school may be the sole reason I re-take the LSAT but looking at LSN, almost no one receive $$$ who is accepted here...can this be or do they hold off on this sort of info?
they haven't sent out financial aid stuff out yet, as far as i know. should be coming out within the next couple of weeks. as far as your observation that "almost no one receive $$$ who is accepted here," they say "Approximately 70% of our students receive need-based grants, and the average grant is $7500."
I actually got a call from financial aid late yesterday afternoon saying they were processing my package and that it would arrive early next week. Hopefully that helps!

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
misteranthro wrote:
anastasia wrote:
A friend of mine is in the program and is a 1L now. She says its actually a lot of help to her.
I have never been someone who used tutoring much, so it would definitely be a new experience to have it required. On the other hand, until I took the LSAT I never tasted real academic defeat either. I guess I should be thankful they let me in either way. I hope people don't look down upon the LEOP students though.
I also spoke to a Hastings student in LEOP. (I applied and haven't heard anything yet!) He told me that no one really knows who is in LEOP, and it is not considered a big deal at all. He finds the mandatory Saturdays to be helpful, since students are given old exams and basically made to drill hypos over and over again. He finds the atmosphere to be very supportive, and is happy with the program. I can't imagine that Hastings would admit anyone who could not handle the academic rigors, and I would personally be thrilled to have this kind of individualized attention.
That is a good way of looking at it. Individualized attention is something I bet most people (including myself) could really benefit from. The mandatory side is what put me off a bit, but if it helps me stay near the top of the class it will be well worth it! I hope you hear some good news from them soon.

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 pm

misteranthro wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
misteranthro wrote:
anastasia wrote:
That is a good way of looking at it. Individualized attention is something I bet most people (including myself) could really benefit from. The mandatory side is what put me off a bit, but if it helps me stay near the top of the class it will be well worth it! I hope you hear some good news from them soon.
just out of curiosity, do non-LEOP students get access to the extra resources such as old exams and tutoring sessions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:00 pm

misteranthro wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
misteranthro wrote:
anastasia wrote:
Thank you! I'm a pretty disciplined person as is, but I think being "forced" to study in a systemized way could only be helpful! I imagine we'd all be spending our Saturdays in the library, anyway!

My stats are right on the edge of the green triangle zone for regular admission, so I do hope the LEOP Committee likes me!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Are any other LEOP applicants waiting? I've been complete since December... My cycle is otherwise finished (WLs and holds aside) and I guess I'm just wondering if I'll be going to San Francisco...

ejh09

New

Post by ejh09 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:46 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Are any other LEOP applicants waiting? I've been complete since December... My cycle is otherwise finished (WLs and holds aside) and I guess I'm just wondering if I'll be going to San Francisco...

I'm waiting on LEOP as well. I'm kind of worried about this long wait but I heard from a friend at Hastings (in LEOP program) that acceptances for LEOP applicants went out throughout April last year.

Good luck to all waiting!!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:54 pm

ejh09 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Are any other LEOP applicants waiting? I've been complete since December... My cycle is otherwise finished (WLs and holds aside) and I guess I'm just wondering if I'll be going to San Francisco...

I'm waiting on LEOP as well. I'm kind of worried about this long wait but I heard from a friend at Hastings (in LEOP program) that acceptances for LEOP applicants went out throughout April last year.

Good luck to all waiting!!
Gaaaah, I hope so! Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 pm

What will you do if accepted to Hastings Opera? (BTW I think you will be accepted)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 pm

geoanthem wrote:What will you do if accepted to Hastings Opera? (BTW I think you will be accepted)
I'm not sure, but it will possibly involve boatloads of champagne!

gamecock

New

Post by gamecock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Still no finaid info anyone? Come on hastings.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:10 pm

I got a call on Friday, and the FA Office said to expect a package early this week! Please be many $$$$$!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Question for those who have recieved their aid package, or gotten calls...

At the Admitted Students Day a couple weeks ago the FinAid people mentioned that they would be distributing the aid award letters through your hastings email, not the email you registered with LSAC/put on your application/etc.

When I asked how we access our new Hastings email, or if they only give Hastings emails out to those who have already put in their seat deposit, they didn't seem to know.

Huh?? I'm freaking out that my fin aid letter is sitting in some email account somewhere that I have no idea how to access.

Any info from anyone? Or were they completely wrong in telling me how I'd hear of my award package?

Thanks!! :)

Mr. Sparkle

New

Post by Mr. Sparkle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 pm

I called them a few days ago and they said they'd be sending a batch of financial aid packages this week, so I think you should be fine.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:58 pm

Yeah, but any word on how they are sending them? Email? Mail? Or... special Hastings email that no one seems to know about?

law0000

New

Post by law0000 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm

jdub wrote:Yeah, but any word on how they are sending them? Email? Mail? Or... special Hastings email that no one seems to know about?
I'm heading to the Admitted Students Day that is this weekend (April 4) and would be happy to ask about it if you don't get an answer before then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Sparkle

New

Post by Mr. Sparkle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm

jdub wrote:Yeah, but any word on how they are sending them? Email? Mail? Or... special Hastings email that no one seems to know about?
Hmm, I guess I just assumed that they would be sent through the mail...she did refer to a "stack" of them though.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 pm

law0000 wrote:
I'm heading to the Admitted Students Day that is this weekend (April 4) and would be happy to ask about it if you don't get an answer before then.
Awesome!! Thanks! Yeah, i tried to ask at the last Admitted Students Day, which is when I was told about the Hastings email.

Then I asked how we access the hastings email, and she (fin aid woman) said she didn't know.

Then I emailed, and recieved this from FinAid:

"Hi,

Admissions Office already give you an email address, you can check with them regarding this matter. Award letters will be email by the beginning of April."

So, I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything more... I'm sure it will all get explained. Just annoying how close it is to other schools seat deposit deadlines... would be nice to have a finaid offer in hand before having to make decisions... :)

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm curious about the email thing too - I remember them talking about our Hastings email but I definitely haven't gotten mine. I'd really like to know what my package will be as well. Anyone have info?

I also recall them mentioning at the ASD that merit aid would not necessarily be reflected in your original package... a little frustrating.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:30 pm

Haha - yeah, you must have been at the same talk I was.... it sounded to me like the scholarships may or may not be coming out at the same time, and they may or may not be shown in your financial aid package that you may or may not be getting in your mysterious UC Hastings email account...

I just think its weird that they would go through the trouble of assigning email accounts to all admitted students, knowing that many of them will end up going elsewhere. Which got me worried that they only assign emails to people who have put in their seat deposits. Which I'm not going to do until I see my aid package...

Oh well, I also totally had laryngitis that day and so trying to ask questions totally either frightened or confused people. So who knows what the FinAid people actually thought I was asking questions about... ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”