In at UC Irvine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scantronix

New

Re: In at UC Irvine

Post by scantronix » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Me too! If you're going to admitted students day, send me a PM as well :D

edit: Oh I see other poster was talking about the luncheon thing on Sunday. Well, if you are going to either, send me a PM then.

jadedV

New

Post by jadedV » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Have they accepted any "traditional" applicants? You know, those of us that are still in undergrad, graduating in May?

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:13 am

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 am

ChipJan wrote:I sent in my application February 24th. Anyone else send in their application late in the cycle? If so, has the school requested your LSDAS report yet?

I wonder if there will be any open spots for us late people...
That's me, and boy am I sweatin' it now. I didn't even find out about it until the end of December, scrambled to sign up for the February LSAT, study, and get my application together while working. I'm pretty bummed I couldn't apply sooner but I didn't even have my recommendations lined up as I hadn't planned on applying to schools until next year.

I hope there are still some spots as it seems to be a perfect fit for me and if I get in this year will be a sure thing for me. My application went in on Feb. 27 and one of my recommendations still hasn't been recieved by LSADS :shock: I'm really nervous about getting in now seeing the other scores.

Am I overreacting?

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 am

Well it doesn't seem like a lot of the people on LSN who were accepted have decided to attend so that might be a good sign for people who are still waiting, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 am

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:38 am

i think a yield of about 20% is more realistic. don't worry too much.

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:43 am

ChipJan wrote:
PublicLaw wrote:Am I overreacting?
Unfortunately, probably not.

If you assume LSN shows 1 of every 8 applicants (ratio I've seen frequently mentioned), then UC Irvine already accepted approx 120 students (15 * 8 ). Per LSN, 3 of 4 have accepted thus far, and at a 75% yield (high, but considering everyone gets free education, it may be possible) there will be no spots for us late applicants.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic but chances seem slim. Even if they add more, I'd expect that the averages get higher than the 166 / 3.55 average on LSN.
PublicLaw wrote:one of my recommendations still hasn't been recieved by LSADS
My transcript is marked as not received and not processed, so I have that going for me.
I'm just trying to tell myself that if I don't get in it's okay. I did rush the process a lot since I was late in the game and only had time to study with hand-me-down books. I only took 4 practice tests and the testing center I was at was awful! I think if I take the LSAT with time to prep I'm pretty sure I can pull a 169 at least. So if I don't get in I'll apply to USC/UCLA and see what they offer. Even if they don't offer much scholarship I'm sure I can get a partial/full ride at Pepperdine/Loyola ect. It would be a bummer since I really do want the experience/education UCI will offer.

How about everyone else, what are your back up plans?

lifelesslived

New

Post by lifelesslived » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:59 pm

FWIW, at least 83 have been accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:12 pm

lifelesslived wrote:FWIW, at least 83 have been accepted.
And if school email addresses mean anything, there are at least a few traditional straight-outta-undergrad kids who got in

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:15 pm

pany1985 wrote:
And if school email addresses mean anything, there are at least a few traditional straight-outta-undergrad kids who got in
Are you guys referring to a Cc: mailing list or something?

lifelesslived

New

Post by lifelesslived » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 pm

So there will be young and old alike. And please, to those who have been accepted, do the right thing and keep the email addresses (and any identifying information) confidential. Personally, I think it's okay if someone says "yeah, there are few from Cali, some from the east coast, etc." But I think it should be obvious what's going too far.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Accepted students were just emailed a list of other accepted students and their email addresses, presumably to commiserate on various UCI-related things. We were given a choice to opting out though, so there may be some stealth admits who didn't want the rest of us to know who they are.

edit: and yeah, +1 to the poster above me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PublicLaw

New

Post by PublicLaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:09 pm

:( Too bad for those of us who didn't know about it right away. I can see a lot of their accepts choosing to go there too. Well, here's to hoping for the wait list. Happy for those of you who got in though.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Yeah we are toast. I figure that well over half of those 83 will probably accept, especially the ones who are borderline USC/UCLA and those who apparently got in with 150 somethings.

Looks like Hastings for me. :)

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:25 pm

Too bad for those of us who didn't know about it right away. I can see a lot of their accepts choosing to go there too. Well, here's to hoping for the wait list. Happy for those of you who got in though.
I concur with your sentiments, PublicLaw.

Unfortunately, I have not been following law schools too much and I live in a different state, so I only found out about UCI opening up a law school pretty recently. As such, I applied really late. :(

Well, whatever is meant to be will be is my motto. It is definitely my first choice though. :)

I am happy for everyone that has gotten in though. I am really curious what percentage of the people who applied initially will end up going there. It should be interesting to watch! :wink:

scantronix

New

Post by scantronix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Okay more Irvine questions for those of you from the area. I am actually from OC originally - Laguna and Misison Viejo, but I moved before I was old enough to have a car so I don't remember a whole lot about traffic and where exactly everything is placed. If one is attending UCI, what cities are reasonable to live in? Tustin is nearby, correct? What else? How much of a bitch would the commute be from these places? Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esquires09

New

Post by Esquires09 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm

If there has already been a long discussion about this, I apologize ... what is the risk of graduating without ABA certification?

LawApp2012

New

Post by LawApp2012 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 pm

I was surprised when I saw that too, what if more than 60 people accept the admission offer? I'm sure they know what they're doing and how many people will most likely decline, but makes me kind of nervous. Especially since the 83 people are all admitted students who agreed to have their email addresses shared, which means there could be a number of others who preferred not to, but still might be planning to attend UCI.

kp1981

New

Post by kp1981 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:58 pm

scantronix wrote:Okay more Irvine questions for those of you from the area. I am actually from OC originally - Laguna and Misison Viejo, but I moved before I was old enough to have a car so I don't remember a whole lot about traffic and where exactly everything is placed. If one is attending UCI, what cities are reasonable to live in? Tustin is nearby, correct? What else? How much of a bitch would the commute be from these places? Thanks!
Yes, Tustin is close. I went to UCI for undergrad and had an apartment in Tustin at 55 and McFadden. I would leave for school 30 minutes or so before class and have time to park and walk to class. However, it was very isolating in terms of student life. Six years after graduation I only have 1 friend from UCI! I doubt with the small inaugural class this will be as much of an issue, but it is something to consider.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jibstir13

New

Post by jibstir13 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:39 am

i lived in irvine while attending UCI...

there's a lot of apartment complexes in irvine, tustin and costa mesa as well as condos and even homes for rent...

a good place to start is your budget, whether you plan on having roommates, and the commute...

as someone else said, newport and laguna are also popular places.

lifelesslived

New

Post by lifelesslived » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 pm

This is long but worth the read.

--LinkRemoved--

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:50 pm

If one was to be moving out to CA with a girlfriend in tow, would it make sense to live on campus? I guess I'm primarily interested in general niceness/size/cost issues. I'm not sure how off-campus apartments compare to on-campus in price or school policies or whatever.

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:12 pm

LawApp2012 wrote:
I was surprised when I saw that too, what if more than 60 people accept the admission offer? I'm sure they know what they're doing and how many people will most likely decline, but makes me kind of nervous. Especially since the 83 people are all admitted students who agreed to have their email addresses shared, which means there could be a number of others who preferred not to, but still might be planning to attend UCI.
haha, don't worry about that. that would be like a yale-type yield. i doubt even stanford has a yield this high. a lot of people are going to turn down uci offers, it will be ok.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”