In at UC Irvine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cantstop

New

Re: In at UC Irvine

Post by cantstop » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 pm

ChipJan wrote:
ricenudles wrote:after much lurking, im going to contribute with some news. I just got off the phone with uci admissions, and the nice lady told me that uci is going to mail decision letters out starting next monday.
Since the first round of offers were all made over the phone, does this signal bad news?
Probably. And considering its before the first response deadline for admits, it really doesn't bode well, since they won't even have a good idea about how many more seats need to be filled, etc.

Considering LSN now shows some waitlists, does anyone know if waitlisted people were also called? (the two on LSN don't say how they received their WL notifications)

ricenudles

New

Post by ricenudles » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:28 pm

no clue ChipJan. when i asked if i could submit a LOCI, she indirectly hinted that it would be pointless right now. im just going to assume that there's going to be a lot of rejections.

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm sure they expected to get a lot of applications, but I'd wager the state of the economy made some people apply who otherwise wouldn't have, since it was a free application with a huge upside in terms of cost if they actually got in.

Altanis

New

Post by Altanis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: waitlist, I received a letter without a phonecall on Saturday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trickydicky

New

Post by trickydicky » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Altanis wrote:Re: waitlist, I received a letter without a phonecall on Saturday.

What were your numbers??

alleycat13

New

Post by alleycat13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Altanis

New

Post by Altanis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Truth. I am a little behind on updating though. :(

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm

ChipJan wrote:Based on LSN, the UCI waitlist includes (self-reported #s and status):

- 165 / 3.51
- 165 / 3.44
- 167 / 3.98
- 167 / 3.54

Average = LSAT 166 and GPA 3.618. The average accepted applicant: LSAT 166.2 and GPA 3.574.

Not a big difference between these numbers. That leads me to believe the class was effectively filled with the first round of acceptances.
you are using the four self-selecting WL students to determine this stuff. Enough with the hypothesizing.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm

I'd say there's a decent chance that a few spots will be open, but I'd be really surprised if more than 10 people get in off the waitlist.

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 pm

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 pm

As a uci admit in contact with a lot of other admits, here's my thoughts... I think there will be plenty of opportunity to get off the waitlist...

UCI is guaranteeing their law students oncampus housing (a super good deal in OC), but you can't hold your housing spot unless you submit your SIR (the no-cost 'seat deposit').

Applications for housing spots only require $20, and the sooner you get your application in, the better chances you have of securing one of the better oncampus units. Us admits are onto this, and there's a lot of incentive to submit your SIR even if you are not sold on risky UCI law school. I have a feeling a lot of admits who have turned in their SIRs will drop out after Admit Day this Friday, and even more after the seat deposit deadlines of other schools takes place in mid/late April. Especially because at this point, many of the admits have excellent scores/work histories and will be courted by other schools.

I wouldn't give up hope yet, y'all. Just my two cents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawApp2012

New

Post by LawApp2012 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm

jdub wrote:As a uci admit in contact with a lot of other admits, here's my thoughts... I think there will be plenty of opportunity to get off the waitlist...

UCI is guaranteeing their law students oncampus housing (a super good deal in OC), but you can't hold your housing spot unless you submit your SIR (the no-cost 'seat deposit').

Applications for housing spots only require $20, and the sooner you get your application in, the better chances you have of securing one of the better oncampus units. Us admits are onto this, and there's a lot of incentive to submit your SIR even if you are not sold on risky UCI law school. I have a feeling a lot of admits who have turned in their SIRs will drop out after Admit Day this Friday, and even more after the seat deposit deadlines of other schools takes place in mid/late April. Especially because at this point, many of the admits have excellent scores/work histories and will be courted by other schools.

I wouldn't give up hope yet, y'all. Just my two cents.
Hmm, this may be true for some, but from hearing from lots of other admits, I think there are at least 25-30 people who have committed and are 100% sold on UCI (including me). So, that leaves room for potentially 30 other spots to get off the waitlist, but there may be others who are sure they want to attend UCI but I haven't heard from yet. Who knows how it will turn out in the end, good luck to everyone waiting!

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:40 pm

ChipJan wrote:Has anyone heard of more waitlisted students? I haven't heard anything from UCI, and I'm starting to get concerned that I missed the waitlist boat as well.
next Monday they are evidently sending out more letters.

susiecusieq

New

Post by susiecusieq » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:15 pm

I haven't heard a single thing from UCI. Nothing. I guess a letter will be coming soon...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Hmm, this may be true for some, but from hearing from lots of other admits, I think there are at least 25-30 people who have committed and are 100% sold on UCI (including me). So, that leaves room for potentially 30 other spots to get off the waitlist, but there may be others who are sure they want to attend UCI but I haven't heard from yet. Who knows how it will turn out in the end, good luck to everyone waiting![/quote]

I know there's around 30 that have sent in an SIR so far, but I'm just doubtful that there aren't a portion of those that submitted it to secure a good housing spot on the off chance that they end up going to UCI... not because they are 100% sold. On the other hand, there's definitely a vocal few who are super pumped about it. Probably most are somewhere in the middle. But you're right, its all conjecture at this point. I'm sure everyone will hear more after ASD this Friday.

NycRich

New

Post by NycRich » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Has anyone heard of more waitlisted students? I haven't heard anything from UCI, and I'm starting to get concerned that I missed the waitlist boat as well.

Just got back yesterday from a week in L.A. (looking at apartments and attending USC's ASD) to find a Irvine wait list letter in my mailbox. I'm sending the form back to take my name off the waitlist, but here's a blurb from the letter for those of you that are curious and waiting for info.

"As you know, we seek to matriculate an inaugural class of only 60 students. Between now and the start of classes in August of this year, we will be watching our admitted pool closely. If in that time frame a spot becomes available, we will offer that spot to an applicant on our waitlist. We will not be ranking applicants on the waitlist. This means that we are not able to predict for you how likely it is that you might be offered admission."

I was a 3.3/160 and sent my application in the last week of October.

NoamChomsky

New

Post by NoamChomsky » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 pm

NycRich wrote:
Has anyone heard of more waitlisted students? I haven't heard anything from UCI, and I'm starting to get concerned that I missed the waitlist boat as well.

Just got back yesterday from a week in L.A. (looking at apartments and attending USC's ASD) to find a Irvine wait list letter in my mailbox. I'm sending the form back to take my name off the waitlist, but here's a blurb from the letter for those of you that are curious and waiting for info.

"As you know, we seek to matriculate an inaugural class of only 60 students. Between now and the start of classes in August of this year, we will be watching our admitted pool closely. If in that time frame a spot becomes available, we will offer that spot to an applicant on our waitlist. We will not be ranking applicants on the waitlist. This means that we are not able to predict for you how likely it is that you might be offered admission."

You have given me MUCH needed HOPE.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:39 pm

How does an unranked WL work? Draw names out of a hat?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:57 pm

swheat wrote:How does an unranked WL work? Draw names out of a hat?
I think there is always some "rank" they just don't give you a number in line.

ChipJan

New

Post by ChipJan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Last edited by ChipJan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:52 pm

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but has anyone been rejected by Irvine yet?

Glancing over this thread, it seems like they're just accepting and waitlisting at this point.

google

New

Post by google » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 pm

NycRich wrote:

Do you happen to know what date the letter arrived? Also, what state/city are you from? I'm curious to see the general distribution. It seems like most of the WL letters were sent out last Friday. Cali people received it on a Saturday I believe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”