IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:27 pm

scott82 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:This site lists apartments downtown. They're all within a reasonable proximity and price range.
http://www.aptsdowntown.com/?do=View&lo ... div=FallAv
Do not rent from Apartments Downtown, or Apartments Near Campus. These people push the limits of landlord/tenant law, and they will steal your rental deposit. An apartment advertised for $600 will be $900 after they get you in the office and tack on a bunch of hidden charges. And if you want parking, expect to pay $900 to $1200 extra for the year.

I've rented from both of these landlords and had good experiences:
http://hpmic.com/index.php?option=com_e ... t&Itemid=3
http://www.iowacityhouserhomes.com/
Yeah, I though I remembered hearing Apts. DT was shady. Thanks for the links, scott.

purplemonkey

New

Post by purplemonkey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Although the apartments that are located in the same building as Hotel Vetro are nice, they aren't worth the cost for a law student. Also, I wouldn't want to live in the middle of the bar scene as a law student - it's disruptive and it's across the river from the law building.

I did my undergrad at Iowa, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 pm

How late is too late to get an apartment? I'm not 100% on Iowa, but fast approaching it.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for the update on the shady landlords. Also, what area WOULD be a good area to look into thats a compromise between convenience and price. I don't mind if I'm living in an area full of undergrads as long as I live alone and their isn't frat parties in the same building as me, since I study with headphones on usually.

+1 on being interested when "too late" is for apartments. When do most people find one/sign the lease?

purplemonkey

New

Post by purplemonkey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:27 pm

There's no specific date as to when it's best to get an apartment, but the earlier the better. People start signing leases as early as January, but that's a little premature in my opinion. Most of my friends lined up where they were living in the fall by March or April, and hardly anyone waited until June.

Regardless, there's plenty of options in Iowa City, so don't worry if takes you a while to make your final decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:33 pm

purplemonkey wrote:Although the apartments that are located in the same building as Hotel Vetro are nice, they aren't worth the cost for a law student. Also, I wouldn't want to live in the middle of the bar scene as a law student - it's disruptive and it's across the river from the law building.

I did my undergrad at Iowa, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.
Does the University have an on-campus shuttle?

purplemonkey

New

Post by purplemonkey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Personally, I would live on the west side of the river if I was going to grad/law school in Iowa City. It's inevitable that you're going to have some undergrad students just about everywhere, but most of the partying takes place downtown and east of campus. During football season, that's a completely different story. If you live in University Heights or close to Kinnick Stadium, expect a crowd of drunken people flooding the area on 6-7 Saturdays in the fall, beginning at 6 a.m.

If you have the chance to visit the campus and can do some apartment searching, it really helps to check out a place while classes are in session and the students are still around. You can get a feel for the type of people that live there.

Yes, the University has a great campus bus system (the Cambus) which is free. It travels on both sides of the river, 7 days a week.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:35 pm

purplemonkey wrote:There's no specific date as to when it's best to get an apartment, but the earlier the better. People start signing leases as early as January, but that's a little premature in my opinion. Most of my friends lined up where they were living in the fall by March or April, and hardly anyone waited until June.

Regardless, there's plenty of options in Iowa City, so don't worry if takes you a while to make your final decision.
Wow thats early. I was thinking more like people sign their leases in June or July and that would be normal.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
purplemonkey wrote:There's no specific date as to when it's best to get an apartment, but the earlier the better. People start signing leases as early as January, but that's a little premature in my opinion. Most of my friends lined up where they were living in the fall by March or April, and hardly anyone waited until June.

Wow thats early. I was thinking more like people sign their leases in June or July and that would be normal.
She's referring to existing students signing that early, not prospective law students.

....fixed purple, my bad.
Last edited by hoosier1508 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purplemonkey

New

Post by purplemonkey » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 pm

Iowa City clears out during the summer (there's a ton of students from the Chicago suburbs) so most students like to have their housing figured out before they leave. The town is vibrant when classes are in session and really clears out when they aren't.

Hoosier's right... but it's she, not he :D

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Status checker finally changed to "admitted" today, and I got my official confirmation in the mail. I already knew I was in from the e-mail, but seeing that letter in my box was still pretty cool.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:33 pm

NorseHawk wrote:Status checker finally changed to "admitted" today, and I got my official confirmation in the mail. I already knew I was in from the e-mail, but seeing that letter in my box was still pretty cool.
Agreed. It's that nice, warm feeling of acceptance. Of being wanted...

..ok, maybe not so much the last part.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Yay Hawkeyes!!! We should organize a get together of TLSers in the fall.

Edit: Anyone know if there are workout facilities we can use for free, or do we have to find a place?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Unfortunately, no stipends offered..... ugh.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Lawguru wrote:Yay Hawkeyes!!! We should organize a get together of TLSers in the fall.

Edit: Anyone know if there are workout facilities we can use for free, or do we have to find a place?
As far as I know, the gym on the campus is available for all students, UG and Grad. But you might want to check on that.

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:07 pm

the workout facilities on campus are 70 bucks per semester

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Yay Hawkeyes!!! We should organize a get together of TLSers in the fall.

As far as I know, the gym on the campus is available for all students, UG and Grad. But you might want to check on that.
Yeah I don't think any school has restrictions on students that can use their facilities (obviously Iowa would have some). If you go to school there and the facilities exist, you can use them. The only exception to this is a gym specifically for law students at Harvard (I think).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 pm

isustudent wrote:the workout facilities on campus are 70 bucks per semester
Seriously? Weak. My school's is $25. And we have a climbing wall!

kollegekid

New

Post by kollegekid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:26 pm

And we have a climbing wall.

F'N Awesome, what school is that? My school doesn't even have reliable internet, LOL.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 pm

kollegekid wrote:And we have a climbing wall.

F'N Awesome, what school is that? My school doesn't even have reliable internet, LOL.
Wayne State, in Detroit. Not a top, top school, but some good facilities. Well, the Fitness one is at least.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:49 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:

Wayne State, in Detroit. Not a top, top school, but some good facilities. Well, the Fitness one is at least.
Yeah but we're forced to pay that $25, even if we don't go lol. I still get to use the U of Mich facilities from going their freshman year (nice and free), but no wall like WSU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:

Yeah but we're forced to pay that $25, even if we don't go lol. I still get to use the U of Mich facilities from going their freshman year (nice and free), but no wall like WSU.
Yeah, I'd probably be happier if I did use it andnot just walk by it four times a day.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Iowa is currently constructing a massive new exercise facility to open in Summer 2010. You can read about it here:

http://www.recserv.uiowa.edu/geninfo/co ... campus.htm

And it will have a climbing wall! :)

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:23 pm

scott82 wrote:Iowa is currently constructing a massive new exercise facility to open in Summer 2010. You can read about it here:

:shock:

I now have even more reason to go. As if I needed any...

Brick Tamland

New

Post by Brick Tamland » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:44 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
scott82 wrote:Iowa is currently constructing a massive new exercise facility to open in Summer 2010. You can read about it here:

:shock:

I now have even more reason to go. As if I needed any...

I say there's no way that the new rec building is done by summer 2010. I'm pretty sure it got pushed back because of the floods last spring/summer. Either way we'll still be there when it's done and it's supposed to be really nice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”