IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rainmaker614

Bronze

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Everyone else get the ASD email? It sounds like parking is going to be horrible...
Yeah, no kidding. I sent an e-mail asking about a parking pass. I may be able to get one, but they apparently can't give out enough for everyone. Why not? They're part of the school, aren't they? Wouldn't it make sense to have free parking for these guests they're trying to intice to enroll here??
Good idea. A parking pass would enable you to park in certain structures? All structures? Or is it just a pass so we don't have to pay?

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:54 pm

I wonder what % of admitted students at Iowa come of the hold/wl list...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Everyone else get the ASD email? It sounds like parking is going to be horrible...
Yeah, no kidding. I sent an e-mail asking about a parking pass. I may be able to get one, but they apparently can't give out enough for everyone. Why not? They're part of the school, aren't they? Wouldn't it make sense to have free parking for these guests they're trying to intice to enroll here??
Good idea. A parking pass would enable you to park in certain structures? All structures? Or is it just a pass so we don't have to pay?
Use the Cambus. That's probably the reason they won't give out passes and I suspect the passes for attending students in the fall will be similarly hard to get.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:46 pm

jrod wrote:I wonder what % of admitted students at Iowa come of the hold/wl list...
Admissions office said 10-15 "hold" applicants make it in off "waitlist" group which is created early April. I was advised in response to e-mail I sent.

Edit: I was advised that just a few people come off the hold list before April.
Last edited by uncle mike on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

uncle mike wrote:
jrod wrote:I wonder what % of admitted students at Iowa come of the hold/wl list...
Admissions office said 10-15" hold" applicants make it in off "waitlist" group which is created early April. I was advised in response to e-mail I sent.
So around 700-900 (Half/50%) probably are on the "hold" group and only 10-15 make it? Not good odds. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm

kak23 wrote:
uncle mike wrote:
Admissions office said 10-15" hold" applicants make it in off "waitlist" group which is created early April. I was advised in response to e-mail I sent.
So around 700-900 (Half/50%) probably are on the "hold" group and only 10-15 make it? Not good odds. :?

More like 50%+ those that are put on the WL initially. So you'd be looking at about 60% of 1800-1900 people (which translates to 1080-1140 people). :?

This means you have about .08-1% chance of getting off the "Hold"/WL. :shock: I am fascinated by this.

Maybe Iowa has something to do with UVA, with the massive impossible WL and all. 8)
Last edited by Anonymous0L on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:25 pm

Does any one know how long it takes to get scholarship letters? Got accepted 2/17, received two small mailings by snail mail so far w/nothing about money. Just curious if this means no $$ from them, since I got 25k/year at Illinois...

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:Does any one know how long it takes to get scholarship letters? Got accepted 2/17, received two small mailings by snail mail so far w/nothing about money. Just curious if this means no $$ from them, since I got 25k/year at Illinois...

I got my full ride letter a week after the dean's email. WD the day after.
Last edited by Anonymous0L on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 pm

belligerentfuture wrote:Does any one know how long it takes to get scholarship letters? Got accepted 2/17, received two small mailings by snail mail so far w/nothing about money. Just curious if this means no $$ from them, since I got 25k/year at Illinois...
It may come in the next week or so. I received a few mailings in between my acceptance and scholarship offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Jwatson wrote:
kak23 wrote:
uncle mike wrote:

More like 50%+ those that are put on the WL initially. So you'd be looking at about 60% of 1800-1900 people (which translates to 1080-1140 people). :?
kak23: What are the chances of a guy like you and a school like me... ending up together?
Iowa: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
kak23: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Iowa. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Iowa: Not good.
kak23: You mean, not good like one out of seven hundred?
Iowa: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
kak23: So you're telling me there's a chance.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Well don't give up!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:33 pm

Jwatson wrote:
kak23 wrote:
uncle mike wrote:

This means you have about .08-1% chance of getting off the "Hold"/WL. :shock: I am fascinating by this.

Maybe Iowa has something to do with UVA, with the massive impossible WL and all. 8)
I think you mean fascinated.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote: I think you mean fascinated.
Yes mikey, that's what I meant. Good catch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:37 pm

pomona wrote:
It may come in the next week or so. I received a few mailings in between my acceptance and scholarship offer.
I called last week. Dean Byrd said all the merit money has been doled out but more may become available.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 pm

dukeqb12 wrote:Got an email today (wednesday) 11:30 am offering admission. Been complete since mid November. Pretty excited about this after being rejected by Illinois. I am out of state as well. Good luck to everyone else!
Congrats!! Do you have a monster LSAT? I'm oldest "complete" on LSN. Were you on "hold"?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Parking in the campus/downtown area is horrible regardless of where you are; it's not just the law school. You're going to pay for parking no matter where you park, unless its on a street away from downtown.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm

kak23 wrote:Just got this email:
Dear Mr. ******:

We appreciate your continuing interest in The University of Iowa College of Law.

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application for admission to the College of Law. We have decided to place your file in the hold decision category. This is a category in which we place applications that have impressive records, and that we are interested in holding on to, at this time. In addition, we want to see how the rest of the application pool develops before we make a final decision on the hold decision files.

Approximately 50% of all applications for admission are placed in the hold decision category.

One final note: There is very little that we will be able to tell you about the status of your file, since the quality and quantity of the applicant pool, and yield rates for admitted applicants, will have an impact on the final admission decisions. On the other hand, you should feel free to send any new information or updates about yourself. All we ask is that the information you send to us be something new or different from what we already have in your file, and will shed a new or unique light on your application for admission.

Once again, we appreciate your interest in The University of Iowa College of Law. We will be in touch with you as soon as a final decision has been made.

Sincerely,

Collins B. Byrd, Jr.

Assistant Dean of Admissions
I guess this is better than a rejection, I didn't think I had much of a shot at Iowa anyway. I won't have much to send them because I'm out of school and just working until law school starts. So, really nothing new is going to happen to me, like new grades, volunteer work, etc. Is there anything I can do to impress them? :?

Maybe a new statement? Diversity statement? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head to write a targeted LOR...hmmm....I'd really like to go to Iowa.
+1..This letter was depressing enough, then I read the last few pages of this thread. Awesome. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:51 pm

Whitty wrote:
kak23 wrote:Just got this email:
Dear Mr. ******:

We appreciate your continuing interest in The University of Iowa College of Law.

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application for admission to the College of Law. We have decided to place your file in the hold decision category. This is a category in which we place applications that have impressive records, and that we are interested in holding on to, at this time. In addition, we want to see how the rest of the application pool develops before we make a final decision on the hold decision files.

Approximately 50% of all applications for admission are placed in the hold decision category.

One final note: There is very little that we will be able to tell you about the status of your file, since the quality and quantity of the applicant pool, and yield rates for admitted applicants, will have an impact on the final admission decisions. On the other hand, you should feel free to send any new information or updates about yourself. All we ask is that the information you send to us be something new or different from what we already have in your file, and will shed a new or unique light on your application for admission.

Once again, we appreciate your interest in The University of Iowa College of Law. We will be in touch with you as soon as a final decision has been made.

Sincerely,

Collins B. Byrd, Jr.

Assistant Dean of Admissions
I guess this is better than a rejection, I didn't think I had much of a shot at Iowa anyway. I won't have much to send them because I'm out of school and just working until law school starts. So, really nothing new is going to happen to me, like new grades, volunteer work, etc. Is there anything I can do to impress them? :?

Maybe a new statement? Diversity statement? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head to write a targeted LOR...hmmm....I'd really like to go to Iowa.
+1..This letter was depressing enough, then I read the last few pages of this thread. Awesome. :(
Same letter - January 9th

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:54 pm

uncle mike wrote:
Le sigh.

Did you send a LOCI or are you just going to wait it out??

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 pm

scott82 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Parking in the campus/downtown area is horrible regardless of where you are; it's not just the law school. You're going to pay for parking no matter where you park, unless its on a street away from downtown.
+1. Parking in Iowa City sucks, you might as well just get used to it now.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Whitty wrote:
uncle mike wrote:
Le sigh.

Did you send a LOCI or are you just going to wait it out??

I sent an e-mail indicating the recent fall semester was my best GPAwise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYYfan213

New

Post by NYYfan213 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Got the acceptance email yesterday (literally while I was whining to my department chair about all my recent waitlists)! Not expecting any money, due to my sub-par LSAT, but Iowa is definitely #1 on my list right now! Won't be attending the ASW because of the late acceptance, but I have a friend who goes to Iowa and has nothing but good things to say about the campus/city, so I'll definitely visit at some point.

Congrats to all others who have been accepted - and maybe we'll see each other in the fall!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:10 pm

NYYfan213 wrote:Got the acceptance email yesterday (literally while I was whining to my department chair about all my recent waitlists)! Not expecting any money, due to my sub-par LSAT, but Iowa is definitely #1 on my list right now! Won't be attending the ASW because of the late acceptance, but I have a friend who goes to Iowa and has nothing but good things to say about the campus/city, so I'll definitely visit at some point.

Congrats to all others who have been accepted - and maybe we'll see each other in the fall!
You have to attend Iowa. I cannot be the only Yankees fan., :twisted: You would provide much needed cover when people start hating on the Yankees.

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Anyone hear about scholarships recently?

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:20 pm

IpunchedCharlieRose wrote:Anyone hear about scholarships recently?
Just that they have no more merit money to give. They may after people withdraw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”