IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Altanis

New

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by Altanis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm

[edited]
Last edited by Altanis on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Cool. Numbers?

Altanis

New

Post by Altanis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:13 pm

[edited]
Last edited by Altanis on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:19 pm

I also got a full ride today. (168, 3.58 if anyone is curious). It was exactly two weeks after receiving my acceptance letter, so whoever said that their scholarship letter came two weeks later was dead on. It was actually a great day since I also was accepted into UCLA today. Unfortunately I'm now much more stressed about the decision then when I was just in at Iowa.

Altanis

New

Post by Altanis » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:04 am

Go to Iowa and give me your UCLA acceptance!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kwatkins

New

Post by kwatkins » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:39 pm

Just FYI ... I grew up in Iowa City and would be more than happy to answer any questions people have about the area! You can send me a private message if you want.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm

So I just made my reservations today and RSVP'd to the event. I'll be going with a friend so does anyone have any good recommendations on bars for Friday night and restaurants?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:So I just made my reservations today and RSVP'd to the event. I'll be going with a friend so does anyone have any good recommendations on bars for Friday night and restaurants?
Not knowing what you like:

Formosa or Takanami are good sushi places. Formosa is in the ground floor of Hotel Vetro.
Short's Burgers has awesome burgers of all varieties and fresh cut fries, reasonably priced.
Givanni's is great italian, but expensive.
Brown Bottle is good italian, less expensive.

Bars? Just peruse the ped mall till you find something you like. Pretty much all of them are packed on weekends.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 pm

scott82 wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:So I just made my reservations today and RSVP'd to the event. I'll be going with a friend so does anyone have any good recommendations on bars for Friday night and restaurants?
Not knowing what you like:

Formosa or Takanami are good sushi places. Formosa is in the ground floor of Hotel Vetro.
Short's Burgers has awesome burgers of all varieties and fresh cut fries, reasonably priced.
Givanni's is great italian, but expensive.
Brown Bottle is good italian, less expensive.

Bars? Just peruse the ped mall till you find something you like. Pretty much all of them are packed on weekends.
Thanks! I'll definitely try Formosa (i'm staying at Vetro) and probably Short's as well, as I'm big on burgers, pizza, and bar food. I just hope it will measure up as I'm gonna need a good burger joint there. Back in Michigan I have the luxury of living next to one of the best burger places in the country and I'm definitely gonna miss it (number 7 on GQ's best burger list!) lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Shorts has only been open about 4 months, but I cannot overstate how good it is. Local beef, fresh cut fries, about 30 different burgers to choose from. Awesome.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:50 pm

scott, as a current resident of Iowa, I'm sure you can attest to IC's greatness. I visited MSU today and I must say, I was rather underwhelmed. I was thinking it would be pretty happening, lots of options for stuff to do, etc., and it wasn't anything too special. Just a bunch of chain-restaurants and some book stores, not even very great ones! I'm not setting myself up for a similar disappointment with IC, am I? Convince me it'll be better!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 pm

One reason why I'm considering University of St. Thomas still.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Lawguru wrote:One reason why I'm considering University of St. Thomas still.
Because of Minneapolis?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:06 am

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Because of Minneapolis?
yeah. Thoughts on that?

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:07 am

Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Because of Minneapolis?
yeah. Thoughts on that?
With Iowa's median salary at 70k, I don't think UST would be much of a difference.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:11 am

Jwatson wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Because of Minneapolis?
yeah. Thoughts on that?
With Iowa's median salary at 70k, I don't think UST would be much of a difference.
And I've only been once, but I really liked Minneapolis. It's actually where I want to work eventually. Never been to IC.... yet... but I would think Minneapolis is a better place to be. I was offered a FW to St. Thomas, and probably would have gotten some $$, but the religious affiliation was too much. Not a fan of Catholicism. I'd rather go to a non-affiliated school and work my way into the city.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:21 am

Jwatson wrote:
Lawguru wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
Because of Minneapolis?
yeah. Thoughts on that?
Median salary is a meaningless statistic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:23 am

rainmaker614 wrote: Median salary is a meaningless statistic.
They are somewhat meaningful. It really depends how you want to look at it.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:32 am

Jwatson wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote: Median salary is a meaningless statistic.
They are somewhat meaningful. It really depends how you want to look at it.
Well for a school like Iowa where 40% of the grads self select to stay in state (no big law, big salaries, or anything close) most reported salary statistics for Iowa are going to be meaningless if you want a mid to large size firm job out of state after graduation. The average salary would be more meaningful than the median, IMO, but either way the results would be skewed. If you look at the students that go to mid to large size firms you'll see that Iowa grads that leave the state make more like 100-125 (and that's not at the 75%, it seems to be the average). There are a few big law firms that recruit and often hire at Iowa that pay around 160k (NYC and a couple Chicago firms) with the majority coming in at around 125-140 for Chicago and the other big Midwest cities being around 105-135k. There is a Detroit firm that I am interested in after graduation which starts at 115k with a low requirement for billables and they hire pretty deep into the class from what one of their associates told me.

Ultimately, 70k isn't a representative statistic of the earning potential of an Iowa graduate. So don't let that number scare you if you have greater ambitions than staying in Iowa after graduation.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 am

So you're saying I might as well go to UST?

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:45 am

Lawguru wrote:So you're saying I might as well go to UST?
I'm pretty sure UST's average starting salary is in the $50,000s. But, as rainmaker said, it's beside the point.

Given the Twin Cities as your possible future home, I'd say the factors you need to consider most are (1) the type of employment you seek and (2) your personal financial situation. Factor 1 may trump factor 2, particularly if you're interested in a prestige-heavy area such as biglaw, academia, etc. Also, if mobility is a concern, avoid UST.

I also am tempted by UST's offer, but I will most likely end up elsewhere. If I happened to be in a more precarious financial situation and I wanted to live and work in Minneapolis, then UST would be high on my list.

Just my opinion, take it with a grain....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:46 am

Lots of people from OOS go to Iowa and I bet most of them they don't practice in Iowa. Private sector median salary is therefore quiet discouraging. I can only imagine what public sector's median is.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:47 am

Jwatson wrote:

Lots of people from OOS go to Iowa and I bet most of them they don't practice in Iowa. Private sector median salary is therefore quiet discouraging. I can only imagine what public sector's median is.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh......

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 am

New Madrid wrote:
I'm pretty sure UST's average starting salary is in the $50,000s. But, as rainmaker said, it's beside the point.

Given the Twin Cities as your possible future home, I'd say the factors you need to consider most are (1) the type of employment you seek and (2) your personal financial situation. Factor 1 may trump factor 2, particularly if you're interested in a prestige-heavy area such as biglaw, academia, etc. Also, if mobility is a concern, avoid UST.

I also am tempted by UST's offer, but I will most likely end up elsewhere. If I happened to be in a more precarious financial situation and I wanted to live and work in Minneapolis, then UST would be high on my list.

I am 30k in the whole w/ stdent loans. That isn't too bad considering I'd pay residence tuition at Iowa is it?

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 am

Lawguru wrote:
New Madrid wrote:

I am 30k in the whole w/ stdent loans. That isn't too bad considering I'd pay residence tuition at Iowa is it?
Not bad at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”