IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hoosier1508

New

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by hoosier1508 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Whitty wrote:
greentrees wrote:The law school's original location was actually right across the street from the Pentacrest in Gilmore Hall:

Geez why couldn't they just keep the LS in that building????
Technology issues, Whitteh. Can't have a classroom building without internet these days and you can't retrofit those old buildings.

Why couldn't they build a replica?
I don't see why not. There are quite a few law schools in older buildings that have revamped classrooms with internet access. I'm certain Iowa regrets the design of Boyd to some extent, it certainly doesn't help them in recruiting.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:44 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
I don't see why not. There are quite a few law schools in older buildings that have revamped classrooms with internet access. I'm certain Iowa regrets the design of Boyd to some extent, it certainly doesn't help them in recruiting.
Indeed, the building is certainly an eye sore but the rest of the campus looks really nice ( at least during the warmer seasons) and it seems like Boyd sticks out like a sore thumb.

Maybe they should let ivy cover the building or just give it a little facelift!

greentrees

New

Post by greentrees » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:02 am

Both Gilmore Hall and the International Center (formerly Law Commons and now nonexistent) ended up being too small for the law library...

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/history.php

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:18 pm

greentrees wrote:Both Gilmore Hall and the International Center (formerly Law Commons and now nonexistent) ended up being too small for the law library...

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/history.php
Half of the law library should be digitized now anyway.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Anyone get a chance to see the rare book room? I totally forgot when I went...

I'm surprised they didn't show us on the tour considering that those rooms are usually the most kick ass parts of any library.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Anyone get a chance to see the rare book room? I totally forgot when I went...

I'm surprised they didn't show us on the tour considering that those rooms are usually the most kick ass parts of any library.
I'm sure they didn't want 50 people traipsing through their collection of irreplaceable volumes. I would expect that they won't even show individual people those books unless they have a legitimate interest in researching them. At my undergrad school, they have a massive collection of rare Irish books. To get information from them, you have to submit a request and the librarians will show you the books or photocopy relevant sections (I can't remember but I'm leaning toward the former because of the light used in photocopying).

It definitely would have been the highlight of the tour and second to the mock class for the day.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:04 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Anyone get a chance to see the rare book room? I totally forgot when I went...

I'm sure they didn't want 50 people traipsing through their collection of irreplaceable volumes. I would expect that they won't even show individual people those books unless they have a legitimate interest in researching them. At my undergrad school, they have a massive collection of rare Irish books. To get information from them, you have to submit a request and the librarians will show you the books or photocopy relevant sections (I can't remember but I'm leaning toward the former because of the light used in photocopying).

It definitely would have been the highlight of the tour and second to the mock class for the day.
Valid point of course but I still find it odd because all of the other law schools (and undergrad schools, several years ago) that I have been to and toured made it a point to show students the room (any decent law school should have a great rare book room). Rare Irish books? Interesting. Take a look at Yale's rare book LIBRARY.... nice....

--ImageRemoved--

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Take a look at Yale's rare book LIBRARY.... nice....

--ImageRemoved--
...Damn.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Beinecke is awesome. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:24 pm

uncle mike wrote:Waitlisted today - 164/3.2/OOS/non-URM
I'm sorry to hear that. You should send a letter detailing your interest and any new academic information.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. You should send a letter detailing your interest and any new academic information.
Thanks Mikey. I had sent two interim letters with updates but I came up a bit short.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 pm

uncle mike wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Thanks Mikey. I had sent two interim letters with updates but I came up a bit short.
Then write about your interest in University of Iowa College of Law. Your LSAT is very competitive at Iowa. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
uncle mike wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Then write about your interest in University of Iowa College of Law. Your LSAT is very competitive at Iowa. Good luck.
Will do, thanks.

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:07 pm

[quote="kollegekid"]So I talked to admissions yesterday via email because I am on hold and I was curious about the whole on hold process, and they basically told me that nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist. The point being that it is a long process as they have to wait for applicants to withdraw and to see the applicant pool. UGGGG. I hope this answers a few questions for those of us on hold.

Waitlist info for all.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:23 pm

uncle mike wrote:
kollegekid wrote: nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist.

Waitlist info for all.
Wow, really? This can't be right, I know they have let a few people off of the hold list in the past few weeks. Don't lose hope umike! :wink:

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 pm

"Officially" Waitlisted from the hold category.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 pm

kak23 wrote:"Officially" Waitlisted from the hold category.
LOCI time kak!

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:53 am

Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 am

chris888777 wrote:Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.
why is everyone suddenly all withdrawing from iowa?

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:57 am

Jwatson wrote:
chris888777 wrote:Just withdrew. One of the most difficult decisions i've made regarding law school. Hopefully I open up a spot for those of you on the waitlist.
Deposit time watson..this is when it gets ugly. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:59 am

Whitty wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
Deposit time watson..this is when it gets ugly. :(
4 people + this chris guy all in one day.

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:09 am

I think Iowa is a great school. I just simply got a better financial offer from a very similar school. Plus, Iowa is too far away from my family.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:11 am

chris888777 wrote:I think Iowa is a great school. I just simply got a better financial offer from a very similar school. Plus, Iowa is too far away from my family.
Where are you going instead?

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 am

Jwatson wrote:
4 people + this chris guy all in one day.
Its not like this is the only school people are having to make tough choices with. Like I said, April 1st is just the nudge to get people to commit/withdraw.

Im not worried. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”