IN at University of Iowa Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pomona

Bronze

Re: IN at University of Iowa

Post by pomona » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:47 am

hoosier1508 wrote:
Sannerbr wrote:I have heard that Iowa is likely to drop in the ranks. What do you guys think?
Probably. State schools have been taking a hit in the rankings recently. Also, Iowa's GPA/LSAT #'s are below their peers, so it's quite possible that they will fall further. I would assume they would settle in the Mid 30's eventually. The only thing keeping them above that has been peer assessment scores, which are arbitrary and fluctuate sometimes significantly from year to year.
Because Iowa's average GPA/LSAT is currently lower than their peer schools does make it "quite possible that they will fall further." The fact that their numbers are not as good of their peers IN SPITE OF having the same ranking means that there are other positive aspects to the school besides the stats of their incoming students but says nothing to future stats or rankings.

However, what DID concern me was when I sat in on the discussion with Dean Byrd (the break out Q&A session in the afternoon, for those who attended) where he talked about how the state requirement that 50% of the incoming class be Iowa residents is hurting their ability to bring in higher quality students. Because of the "brain drain" from the state of Iowa (I believe Iowa actually has NEGATIVE population growth, unlike some other states that have similar requirements), applications from Iowa residents are down every year (he said -17%[!!] this year, and currently only ~30% of apps are from Iowa residents) but they are still forced to accept enough Iowa applicants to maintain the 50/50 ratio. Thus, he said they have to admit lower quality in-state candidates. He also talked about how this requirement impacts Iowa in ways it does not impact higher ranked state schools with similar requirements, such that the state of Iowa is very small, relatively homogeneous state without other state school alternatives for law school.

Given that information, I think it's safe to assume that Iowa may drop in the rankings in the future UNLESS they are able to get rid of/loosen that requirement or make up for it in other areas relevant to the rankings (OR the "brain drain" stops, which is very unlikely IMHO).

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:15 pm

pomona wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:
Sannerbr wrote:I have heard that Iowa is likely to drop in the ranks. What do you guys think?
However, what DID concern me was when I sat in on the discussion with Dean Byrd (the break out Q&A session in the afternoon, for those who attended) where he talked about how the state requirement that 50% of the incoming class be Iowa residents is hurting their ability to bring in higher quality students. Because of the "brain drain" from the state of Iowa (I believe Iowa actually has NEGATIVE population growth, unlike some other states that have similar requirements), applications from Iowa residents are down every year (he said -17%[!!] this year, and currently only ~30% of apps are from Iowa residents) but they are still forced to accept enough Iowa applicants to maintain the 50/50 ratio. Thus, he said they have to admit lower quality in-state candidates.
This is pretty much the only reason I got in with my crappy GPA, so, thanks, Iowa legislature!

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:37 pm

NorseHawk wrote:
pomona wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:
However, what DID concern me was when I sat in on the discussion with Dean Byrd (the break out Q&A session in the afternoon, for those who attended) where he talked about how the state requirement that 50% of the incoming class be Iowa residents is hurting their ability to bring in higher quality students. Because of the "brain drain" from the state of Iowa (I believe Iowa actually has NEGATIVE population growth, unlike some other states that have similar requirements), applications from Iowa residents are down every year (he said -17%[!!] this year, and currently only ~30% of apps are from Iowa residents) but they are still forced to accept enough Iowa applicants to maintain the 50/50 ratio. Thus, he said they have to admit lower quality in-state candidates.
This is pretty much the only reason I got in with my crappy GPA, so, thanks, Iowa legislature!
My GPA/LSAT were both good enough to get me in, but it helped with confidence knowing I had a hand up being a resident. I actually think the requirement is dumb though, and I hope they are able to change it.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:50 pm

After 144 years of operation,

Iowa has a whooping 9,000 Alums in
Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Texas, Wisconsin, and Virginia.
So who is going to be a first alum from another state to Iowa? Crystal? Crystal?

:roll:

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Lawguru wrote: My GPA/LSAT were both good enough to get me in, but it helped with confidence knowing I had a hand up being a resident. I actually think the requirement is dumb though, and I hope they are able to change it.
My LSAT was over their 75th percentile by quite a bit, so I guess I'm at least partially helping their numbers. I do agree that it's objectively kind of a silly requirement, but I'm not about to argue with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Do they reject any Iowa residents?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:52 pm

NorseHawk wrote:
Lawguru wrote: My GPA/LSAT were both good enough to get me in, but it helped with confidence knowing I had a hand up being a resident. I actually think the requirement is dumb though, and I hope they are able to change it.
My LSAT was over their 75th percentile by quite a bit, so I guess I'm at least partially helping their numbers. I do agree that it's objectively kind of a silly requirement, but I'm not about to argue with it.
I must say, the biggest mistake was telling to Admissions office if I was accepted I would go. My numbers were at least good enough to get me some sort of scholly (a few k at least?). I feel sort of ripped. I know someone from my school who got a good few thousand with a lower LSAT, and only marginally higher GPA.

Is there any chance I might swindle some $ out yet given they're in need of residents with good numbers? Anyne for that matter able to do that?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Jwatson wrote:Do they reject any Iowa residents?
My friend with a 163, 3.4 was rejected last week.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Lawguru wrote:

"hold" or rejected? It's almost impossible to get rejected from Iowa unless your friend had a horrible essay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:58 pm

Jwatson wrote:
Lawguru wrote:

"hold" or rejected? It's almost impossible to get rejected from Iowa unless your friend had a horrible essay.
Well, I don't honestly know. He said "rejected," but maybe that is just an assumption. Iowa LOVES students from my UG for some reason though, so it came as a surprise.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Lawguru wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
Lawguru wrote:

Well, I don't honestly know. He said "rejected," but maybe that is just an assumption. Iowa LOVES students from my UG for some reason though, so it came as a surprise.

Shocking and how many UGs are in Iowa?

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Why do you keep posting here? I don't care if you think you know everything about everything. I don't even care if you are right. If you are not going here, find something better to do with your time.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:09 pm

isustudent wrote:Why do you keep posting here? I don't care if you think you know everything about everything. I don't even care if you are right. If you are not going here, find something better to do with your time.

I believe this board is for people that are "In at University of Iowa" and I am "In at University of Iowa". Chill out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:12 pm

I just think you should quit being a jerk. It wastes everyone's time. If you have useful information, that's fine. Quit trying to start pathetic internet forum fights. No one is impressed.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:13 pm

isustudent wrote:I just think you should quit being a jerk. It wastes everyone's time. If you have useful information, that's fine. Quit trying to start pathetic internet forum fights. No one is impressed.

Useful info about alums ^

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:22 pm

I enjoyed the following:
Lawguru wrote:My friend with a 163, 3.4 was rejected last week.
Jwatson wrote:"hold" or rejected? It's almost impossible to get rejected from Iowa unless your friend had a horrible essay.
What is the point of asking questions that you apparently already know the answers to?

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:23 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:I enjoyed the following:
Jwatson wrote:"hold" or rejected? It's almost impossible to get rejected from Iowa unless your friend had a horrible essay.
What is the point of asking questions that you apparently already know the answers to?
Because of this :
Lawguru wrote: Well, I don't honestly know. He said "rejected," but maybe that is just an assumption. Iowa LOVES students from my UG for some reason though, so it came as a surprise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Jwatson wrote: So who is going to be a first alum from another state to Iowa? Crystal? Crystal?
I'm not planning to come back to Michigan.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:34 pm

NorseHawk wrote:ASD was a good time and it was hard not to come away from it feeling really impressed with the school. I realize that's sorta the point of those things but, still, they did a great job. I was already set on Iowa, but I'm even more excited now, especially after getting a chance to talk to the current students.
I'll second this. I was on the fence before ASD, and now I'm ready to commit. Really impressed with the quality of the students and deans. And I happen to like the fact that they're not as numbers-obsessed as some (most?) of their peer schools tend to be. For the record, I'm choosing Iowa over Wisconsin and a substantial scholarship at OSU.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:35 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Overall, I think I feel even more excited about going to Iowa, as well. Even Downtown was really awesome (although very saturated with UGs). The 2/3L carrells, the library, and especially all the faculty (Dean Byrd was awesome) all are going to make saying "No, thanks" to MSU's scholly that much easier.

Also, it was great to meet so many TLSers there, too. Good to see you guys!
Likewise. I'm actually still there (in I.C.) looking around at some places to live.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:36 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:I enjoyed the following:
Stop trying to start a pissing match.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:37 pm

New Madrid wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:Overall, I think I feel even more excited about going to Iowa, as well. Even Downtown was really awesome (although very saturated with UGs). The 2/3L carrells, the library, and especially all the faculty (Dean Byrd was awesome) all are going to make saying "No, thanks" to MSU's scholly that much easier.

Also, it was great to meet so many TLSers there, too. Good to see you guys!
Likewise. I'm actually still there (in I.C.) looking around at some places to live.
Did you try the blood orange sorbet?

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:38 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Image
I'm glad you got a picture of the gelato, mikey. That blood orange flavor was delicious. The wife and I went back again yesterday to try some different ones.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Well,
I hope our 1L class isn't going to be as cut throat as this board. I am looking forward to being classmates with you all. :D

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Lawguru wrote:Well,
I hope our 1L class isn't going to be as cut throat as this board. I am looking forward to being classmates with you all. :D
That was a big part of it for me. I can't stand the hypercompetitive stuff. I really got the feeling that mutual respect generally prevails at Iowa, and that it seems to work out for most people in the end (ie. they get good jobs in the field). The best of both worlds, IMO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”