University of Oregon Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
usuaggie

Silver

Re: University of Oregon Law

Post by usuaggie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:23 am

Sunflower wrote:
usuaggie wrote:Anybody know of a site where I can look at employment stats in each state by law school? Like how many students get a job in CA from Oregon.
1. http://www.martindale.com 2. do advance search

exactly what I wanted, thanks.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Borderline numbers suck. I'm still going to wait out Oregon but I'm going to deposit at Willamette tomorrow.

I hope everyone has fun at the ASW, I visited last week and it was amazing!

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm

amorfati42 wrote:Borderline numbers suck. I'm still going to wait out Oregon but I'm going to deposit at Willamette tomorrow.

Still waiting on USD and U of Oregon but put in my deposit at Willamette to be safe. Maybe we'll be classmates!

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm

sneakpreview wrote:
amorfati42 wrote:Borderline numbers suck. I'm still going to wait out Oregon but I'm going to deposit at Willamette tomorrow.

Still waiting on USD and U of Oregon but put in my deposit at Willamette to be safe. Maybe we'll be classmates!

I'm still waiting on USD too...and pepperdine and Loyola and santa clara!!! california schools need to step it up

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 pm

I sat in on a Contracts class with professor Bjerre today. Pretty decent class, professor seemed like a nice guy as well. Hopefully this is how the other professors and classes are. Looking forward to ASD tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:53 pm

To all of you coming to visit, welcome, and we're glad to have you. There is a track meet across the street today, and Saturday Market downtown if you have a chance to check it out. The rhododendron garden at Hendrick's Park near the school is also in bloom and lovely this time of year.
Last edited by DCDuck on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Hey everyone, again wondering if any nice UO curret students wouldn't mind showing methe facilities tomorrow? Please let me know !

cLams

Bronze

Post by cLams » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:32 pm

In via snail mail yesterday!

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:30 pm

So what did everyone think of ASD this past weekend? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Rejected today... knew my chances were on the down side but after getting into Seattle thought I might get lucky.

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 pm

amorfati42 wrote:Rejected today... knew my chances were on the down side but after getting into Seattle thought I might get lucky.
sorry :( Upside is you have a good school lined up!

Sunflower

New

Post by Sunflower » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 pm

I thought ASD was great! Everyone was super nice. I liked the building a lot. What did people think about Eugene? Also what was your folder color mine was yellow? Maybe we were in the same group.

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Sunflower wrote:I thought ASD was great! Everyone was super nice. I liked the building a lot. What did people think about Eugene? Also what was your folder color mine was yellow? Maybe we were in the same group.

I thought it was great too! I LOVED that building...all the classes are in one building which is convenient but you can still see the outside. Another favorite thing is that it's a small law school but connected to a large undergrad which means we get access to the amenities like games, the gym, student unions etc.

My folder was yellow too :) I didn't see too much of Eugene so i can't say anything about that but it's definitely pretty from what i could tell but the people are INCREDIBLY friendly. i loved it. I'm now 99% (leaving that one percent for any disasters that occur) sure that i'll be attending in the fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 am

My folder was grey. It seemed like our whole group was out of state people, and our panel was all from out of state also. I liked the school, and the facilities are definitively nice.

I dropped by Willamette since I was there for the weekend, (they offered me full ride), and Oregon had a MUCH better vibe. I also visited L&C though, and I really liked it there also. At least I'm faced with a decent decision, since I liked both schools quite a bit.

My only reservation is Eugene. I think I could be happy there, but I know I could be happier in Portland. Eugene would offer less distraction, though, so it might be the better choice regardless.

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Oregon dropped 3 spots to 80th in US News. So did L&C

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=750

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:17 pm

kswiss wrote:My folder was grey. It seemed like our whole group was out of state people, and our panel was all from out of state also. I liked the school, and the facilities are definitively nice.

I dropped by Willamette since I was there for the weekend, (they offered me full ride), and Oregon had a MUCH better vibe. I also visited L&C though, and I really liked it there also. At least I'm faced with a decent decision, since I liked both schools quite a bit.

My only reservation is Eugene. I think I could be happy there, but I know I could be happier in Portland. Eugene would offer less distraction, though, so it might be the better choice regardless.
Our group was mostly out of state as well. I agree with you about Eugene, it would definitely take some getting used to but if you find the good in any city i'm sure it would work out :).

I did notice the drop in the rankings but i doubt (for me at least) it would have a big effect on the decision to attend since it's only 3 points and all three of their top programs are STILL top programs...

stellabean

New

Post by stellabean » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:23 am

I am still waiting to hear and I have been complete since January! Does anyone know if they are getting close to having everything mailed out? Is there even any hope still? This is killing me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:22 am

anybody worried about the 60% employment rate @ graduation?

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 am

usuaggie wrote:anybody worried about the 60% employment rate @ graduation?
I thought UO didn't put out @graduation #s? Only 9 mos (90ish%)

hans3n

Bronze

Post by hans3n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:45 am

This is what worries me the most about Oregon. Less than 60% employment at graduation? Gotta start paying back loans 6 months later....

I dont know why they do a 9 month. Seems more appropriate to do a 6 month just because of the loan repayment aspect. Maybe grad loans are different for when you need to start paying them back.

Sunflower

New

Post by Sunflower » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 am

hans3n wrote:
This is what worries me the most about Oregon. Less than 60% employment at graduation? Gotta start paying back loans 6 months later....

I dont know why they do a 9 month. Seems more appropriate to do a 6 month just because of the loan repayment aspect. Maybe grad loans are different for when you need to start paying them back.
Last edited by Sunflower on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PenutButterJellyTime

New

Post by PenutButterJellyTime » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:11 am

Hey all, Ive just received my admission to Oregon. Excited but also curious about some things. Some people mention the 60% employment figure. I am from the other side of the country, so I know little about this school other than the beautiful geography and its apparent "ranking."

Im really excited to attend, but Im hoping people can reafirm my decision by telling me its a good school and that I will actually get a job :)
Obviously this is the only factor left in my decision. I have also applied to Tulane, Penn State, and Florida State, but have not heard back yet.

Any opinions on what I could/should do are welcome.

Have a great day :)

PenutButterJellyTime

New

Post by PenutButterJellyTime » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:18 am

blondie2010 wrote:Received my acceptance package for U of O on Friday, $6K renewable scholarship. Stats around 3.2/159. Also received an email inviting me to the Admitted Students Visiting Day (welcoming minority students? Because I'm Canadian I guess?) but I am not accepting the offer as I just found out I was accepted to a Canadian school.

Good luck to everybody still waiting :)

Hey Blondie, I hail from the great white north as well! Too bad your not coming as well. Id rather go to Oregon then the few in Canada i got into. Primarily because of weather.

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 pm

PenutButterJellyTime wrote:Hey all, Ive just received my admission to Oregon. Excited but also curious about some things. Some people mention the 60% employment figure. I am from the other side of the country, so I know little about this school other than the beautiful geography and its apparent "ranking."

Im really excited to attend, but Im hoping people can reafirm my decision by telling me its a good school and that I will actually get a job :)
Obviously this is the only factor left in my decision. I have also applied to Tulane, Penn State, and Florida State, but have not heard back yet.

Any opinions on what I could/should do are welcome.

Have a great day :)
I can't tell you anything specific about the employment rates because i'm in the same boat as you are but I can tell you what the school is like.

Everyone is SUPER friendly from the very beginning...basically a very informal type of setting with the dean, assistant dean etc which was something that made it click in my book because i hate being too intimidated to talk to superiors. Also, the professors have an open door policy and are required to have office hours twice a week.
As for externships, the students that we spoke with said that the school and the professors will do anything to help you land an externship and will sometimes even use their personal connections to do so. The student panel that we spoke with had all landed externships all over the country, not just in Oregon (in fact i don't remember if any were in oregon). If it's something that interests you, you can even submit your own idea for your externship.

I would say overall, they seem like they are invested in your future and are going to do their best to help YOU succeed in law school. The school itself has a community feel and doesn't have that overt competitive vibe (a huge plus for me ). They have social events to help you balance your school with fun and it was generally a very nice feel.

That's my take on it. I hope it was of some help :)

PenutButterJellyTime

New

Post by PenutButterJellyTime » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks a lot for the response Momo. Its reassuring to say the least. And you have confirmed many of my assumptions, which were some of the reasons I applied here in the first place. I grew up in the countryside, and have a huge appreciation for the environment and nature. I do not like big city atmospheres as I am used to quiet surroundings. U of O sounds like its not a very large university, which is also what im used to, so I feel i wont have a huge mental breakdown when i move there.
For the most part, my decision only rests on employment prospects because, as we all know, tuition is not cheap for law school.

Very excited to see what the state of Oregon has to offer. Hope its warmer than Ontario... Although I hear it rains a lot, but thats ok i guess. As long as its not as bad as Seattle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”